Intel hd graphics (intel i5 2430m) not able to play GTA 4 on a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarfraz_95

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
i recently bought a budget laptop for home, basically for general everyday use.
i got a toshiba satellite laptop specifcally the toshiba l750-170 which had only been released in the uk a few months before i bought it
a couple of weeks since i'd had it, i wanted to play GTA IV on the laptop.
however after installing it and playing it i started to experience some problems with the game such as the game resolution was crap and also most of the display settings were on low (this is in the game settings).
i thought that the intel hd graphics has upto 1.7gb of graphics memory?
however in the game, it say that i have 330-350mb of graphics memory?

is there any way to fix this problem or am i just stuck with it?

Graphics memory isn't the main thing for measuring graphics card's performance. It all depends on the chip. In theory, the intel HD should be able to use up to 1.7 GB of system memory, but it's not dedicated memory, it borrows it from your CPU. Also, Intel HD is a pretty slow graphics chip, so it will not run most of the newer games.. I am not sure about GTA IV. Are your drivers up to date?

According to Intel the Intel HD 3000 can in fact use up to 1.7GB of system RAM. However...

**Note: The actual amount of maximum graphics memory on your computer can be less than the amounts listed in the above table. The actual amounts greatly depend on your computer model's specific configuration. Configuration factors may include but are not limited to the following:

- the graphics memory allocation method set by your computer manufacturer,
- amount of system memory available,
- amount of pre-allocated memory, or
- operating system.

The best place for obtaining information about your computer's specific configuration is from your computer manufacturer. Your computer manufacturer may have altered features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes that may limit or reduce the actual maximum graphics memory amount possible for your computer.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-029090.htm

sarfraz_95

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
@ jaguarskx
i think your right. i think toshiba have limited on how much graphics memory i can use. oh well. i guess i cant play gta iv then. ill probably have to find a way too unlock the bios so i can adjust the settings perhaps?

sarfraz_95

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

yeah all my drivers are upto date :)
i should have bought a laptop with an nvidea graphics card. im stuck with this now

we1shcake

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

or amd, there are still lots of games you can play, minecraft and limbo for example

That won't work. Not the graphics memory is limiting you. You are being limited by graphics processor, which means even you manage to increase your VRAM, it won't improve the performance.

loneninja

Distinguished
Intel integrated graphics are far slower than a Radeon 4670/5570 and I can say from experience even on all low settings those struggle to run GTA IV, it doesn't matter how much video ram you have, the graphics processor is too weak for that game. Intel graphics are junk for 3d gaming.

phantom144

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Actually, GTA IV runs well on an i5 chipsets and it is in fact sandy bridge chipset. I have a hp dm4 and it runs it well.

You can increase the amount of memory the game uses by the use of the command line.

create a text file in the game's main folder named commandline and insert the following

-DX9/high
-noprecache
-nomemrestrict
-novblank
-fullscreen
-availablevidmem 2.500
-renderquality 0
-shadowdensity 0
-texturequality 0
-viewdistance 0
-detailquality 0
-percentagevidmem 100
-stereo
-framelimit 0
-noswapdelay
-forcer2vb
-monspecaudio
-norestriction
-memrestrict 188743680
-memrestrict 209715200
-memrestrict 230686720

*note, not all games uses the same file name, try researching. The "availvidmem" is the amount of video memory the game will use, u can bring it up and down to see what best suits you.

Cheers

maniteja14

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
hi i also have intel hd graphics (core i3) with dedicated vram 64mb ONLY but i can play gta 4 with out any lags, just follow these two steps if u want
1.create a text file in the game's main folder named commandline and insert the following

-DX9/high
-stereo
-noswapdelay
-forcer2vb
-monspecaudio
-nonprecache
-renderquality 0
-shadowdensity 0
-texturequality 0
-viewdistance 0
-detailquality 0
-novblank
-norestrictions
-safemode
-availablevidmem 7
-percentvidmem 100
-minspecaudio
-novsync

2.go to this website "forum.iv-multiplayer.com/index.php?topic=53.0"
and follow step 2 very important and step 10. In step 10 i installed medium fix it's working fine in my system.
NOTE:MAKE SURE THAT "-availablevidmem 7" IS NOT LESS THAN SEVEN IT ONLY INCRESES DEDICATED VRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.