Ideas Needed: I have 8 LCD screens

l0os3

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Hey guys,

I have eight LCD screens from old laptops. They are all from the same make and model of laptop. They are 8.9" Widescreen.

Currently they are stored in my closet and I think I need a project for the winter :)

I'd like something "cool" to do with them. I thought about turning all 8 laptops on and leaving the screensavers going -_-

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
hmm nice thou i herd its somewhat hard to interface laptop LCD,
Thou if i could i would connect them to 8 security cameras, mount them on wall next to my PC, so while gaming can see whats going on around house :)

Maybe mount on sheet of pvc make it portable. Games for parties, like "whats behind screen number 1" also make it do cool effects
Always wanted to build LCD into refrigerator door, few web cams inside, come in morning press button browse whats inside without opening door, im always cant decide in morning standing there for while thinking
or or

l0os3

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Duxducis that sounds like a good idea, but I know whats in my fridge every morning - nothing.

I thought about picking up a few cheap mounts and mounting the screens around my wire shelf. The laptops are all in working condition. I may just mount the whole damn laptops and setup a flavor of linux on each.

mavroxur

Distinguished
You'd need to find a way to communicate with the LVDS signaling the panel uses, and find a way to drive the 8 backlights. There's a guy that sells LVDS to DVI adapter boards on eBay for doing things like that. I have a 42" LCD TV that has a bad main board, but the inverter and LCD still works, and it's not cost effective to buy a new main board, and i'm considering getting one. You just have to email him the make / model of the LCD before you buy-it-now, and he'll tell you if he can support it, and will program the adapter to match the panel. Just search LVDS adapter and you'll find 'em.

l0os3

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Do you think it would be more cost effective to just buy mounts and mount the whole laptop up then? They have the swivel screens so i can flip them around so it looks like just a monitor there.

TRENDING THREADS