BG Config problem

I have a troubling problem with configuration matters on Baldur's Gate
II. Before I start the game, I alter settings using the Config to
make it run smoother since my machine is what the config calls
'high-end' (or something similar to that), however, by the time I've
reached the game, the frame-rate has been reset back to the original
which makes the game so pathetically slow, and I know my PC is capable
of running higher framerates and higher resolutions (incidentally
which the game also resets).

My PC is more than capable of running these settings, because they
have done before, but all of a sudden the game has decided to start
resetting these settings which is really frustrating.

Can anyone offer me a solution, because this is really quite a strange
problem.

knucmo wrote:
> I have a troubling problem with configuration matters on Baldur's Gate
> II. Before I start the game, I alter settings using the Config to
> make it run smoother since my machine is what the config calls
> 'high-end' (or something similar to that), however, by the time I've
> reached the game, the frame-rate has been reset back to the original
> which makes the game so pathetically slow, and I know my PC is capable
> of running higher framerates and higher resolutions (incidentally
> which the game also resets).
>
> My PC is more than capable of running these settings, because they
> have done before, but all of a sudden the game has decided to start
> resetting these settings which is really frustrating.
>
> Can anyone offer me a solution, because this is really quite a strange
> problem.

I don't know why it would do that, since it should just read the
baldur.ini file. You can open the baldur.ini file and edit it
manually. There are the main display type settings:

Display Frequency=
This number depends on the monitor, somewhere from 75 to 90 will work.
Just be careful, you can actually damage a monitor if you take it
outside the frequency range for that resolution. Read (gasp!) the
manual to find out what your monitor can do. LCDs pretty much ignore
this number

Resolution=
1024 is a good number, any higher and the sprites get pretty darn tiny.
I've tried it up to 1600 without problems other then the sprite size
issue.

Maximum Frame Rate=
30 is the default, and above 40 things get a little crazy. I like 36
myself.

Note, the Mac version of the game seems to ignore most of these
settings.

Mark.