Regulated/Switch Adapters

gkamieneski

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Apparently I had an overnight power blip and I lost two ac/dc wall warts from my power strip. Oddly, 3 of 5 devices were unaffected, but needless to say, I won't be using that strip again.

Now one of the AC adapters is definitely a Switch Adapter, because it is marked as such, and being a power supply for my Netgear wireless router (12vdc, 1amp). So I am looking for a reasonable replacement for that AC adapter. I have an old Linksys adapter with the same specs, but it is a much bigger, heavier device so I wonder if it is regulated?

The other adapter I need powered my Trendnet TS-U200, which for me is an FTP server. This one's specs are 5vdc, 2.5amp. Unlike the Netgear device this one's shape and weight makes it hard for me to tell if it is a Switching adapter and/or regulated supply. Oddly, the part number query brings up a D-Link router adapter. I have found a toy adapter for a Leapfrog product that is spec'd at 5vdc, 2.5amp but this is definitely an older transformer type adapter. Would I be o.k. powering the little FTP/card reader with this?

gkamieneski

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Still wondering if there are any concerns with replacing 12v, 1a Switching Adapter with older 12v, 1a "tranformer" type?

Looking to do the same thing for a 5v, 2.5a adapter.

gkamieneski

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Ended up going with an adapter for a Yamaha keyboard. It is very small and lightweight, so I assume it is a switching adapter or at least regulated. Not heavy like a transformer and listed as Class IV.

These may be an inexpensive solution for those needing to replace a netgear power supply.