patriciabuon

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
What is the simplest way to increase the strength of the wireless signal in the room furthest away from my wireless modem? I can't move the modem, but I find the signal on my laptop is not strong enough in the living room furthest from the router. The router is new.

instanthelpdoteu

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
Add a Wireless-G range expander. Simply place the device in a location within range of the wireless router, plug it in and push the button. The expander automatically configures itself to the wireless network and relays the signal to wireless devices, even those that are hard to reach.

Use a wireless USB adapter with external antenna when signal becomes poor. These are great for use with laptops, since signal strength varies from location to location. They also come in handy when connecting to wireless high-speed Internet in hotels.

Upgrade the existing router to a new Wireless-N router. Obtaining the newest technology ensures that you will receive the best signal possible so that you can make the most of your wireless Internet.

patriciabuon

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
Thanks for the reply. In fact I do have a N router and a N card in my laptop. I bought a range extender but on opening the box and reading the instructions it explains that it should only be used when there is NO signal in some part of the environment where a signal is required, and not just to boost a less than optimal signal. I have a signal, just not as strong as I would like it to be in order to stream video. So ... back to the store with it!