hash1222

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
i have bought a used psu. its a antec new truepower 750w. the seller stated he had only used it once and all the modular cables were packaged and unopened.
but i saw the warrant sticker that was ontop of the screw removed. the seller said that it had never been opened. i tred it an a older pc of mine and im talking to you right now using this psu in this pc. the pc is working fine.

i am planning a new build will this be safe to use for all my expensive componenets

new build specs
cpu:Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz

mobo:ASUS P8Z77-V Intel Z77 Socket 1155

case:Cooler Master HAF 922

ram:Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual/Quad Channel Kit

gpu: zotac gtx 580 1.5gb

There is no way to know if it is safe without trying it in something. If the warranty sticker is gone that makes me think he opened the PSU for some reason or it is a replacement PSU. YMMV so use it at your own risk.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you can be assured it hasn't been tampered with, it should be fine. If you suspect someone opened it, there's no way to tell if it is going to be a problem. May I ask why you spent money on all new components, but decide to take a chance on the PSU?

Grand_Admiral_K

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Just me personally, but I don't trust people as far as I can throw them. I would NOT recommend buying it. You're better off just paying full price for it and knowing that it has not been tampered with and will perform to spec.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
If it works then its fine. There's no telling if how long does it will work fine though.

I also got my 3 year-old PSU as second-hand from a known PC case modder. However, my assurance that the thing really works are warranty stickers are intact, purchase receipt was handed over to me, and a image of the PSU in action.

My guess is that the PSU with the sticker missing could be a 'refurbished' model sent back to the owner with a new set of cables. And he had bought himself a new PSU instead of waiting for the return.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
^ If so then it wasn't used 'once' as claimed by the seller. I wonder if that was even possible since my PSU hasn't peeled off its warranty sticker for the past 3 years of usage.