Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Used i5-2400s a good deal for an extremely low budget gaming build?

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 18, 2012 12:07:09 AM

So I've been mulling over whether or not to build a new computer. It would be for gaming, and extremely low budget.

My plan would be to keep my 5770 from my current comp, but pretty much build everything else from scratch.

Because I want my budget to be less than $500 (and honestly as low as possible), I was looking on craigslist for some used parts.

I found this i5-2400s for $100, and I was thinking about getting it and building around that
http://eugene.craigslist.org/sys/2851692986.html

I know that the "S" means it's low power and so not ideal for gaming, but do you guys think it would handle most games?

And is it a good deal? It seems like it to me anyway.

I'm pretty unsure on what to do here, so I'm looking for opinions on the i5-2400s for $100 deal, and if you guys think it's a good deal, I'm interested in opinions on how to finish a build around it.

It would be for gaming, and I am mainly looking for low price and if possible upgradability.

I already have a monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc
February 18, 2012 12:15:32 AM

i5-2400's perform almost the same as the 2500 but can't OC. However, I would really not be inclined to buy used cpu's and especially not off Craigslist. Newegg is about $190. Ask yourself why someone would sell a working cpu for half price? If it sounds too good to be true it is.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 18, 2012 12:17:39 AM

it would turbo up to 3.1 ghz, so it might work
m
0
l
Related resources
February 18, 2012 12:32:06 AM

QuietPC said:
i5-2400's perform almost the same as the 2500 but can't OC. However, I would really not be inclined to buy used cpu's and especially not off Craigslist. Newegg is about $190. Ask yourself why someone would sell a working cpu for half price? If it sounds too good to be true it is.


Are you noticing that this is the i5-2400S, which is not the normal i5-2400, it is a low-power version?

Also, I agree that buying off of craigslist is a little scary, but I'm just not sure how else I'm going to afford an i-5 build. Of course, I can also just pass on this and build some other time when I have more money :( 
m
0
l
February 18, 2012 12:35:43 AM

danawesome89 said:
Are you noticing that this is the i5-2400S, which is not the normal i5-2400, it is a low-power version?

Also, I agree that buying off of craigslist is a little scary, but I'm just not sure how else I'm going to afford an i-5 build. Of course, I can also just pass on this and build some other time when I have more money :( 



It's best not to buy used parts, especially from a stranger off craglist...not worth the risk imo. You can get i3 2100 meanwhile.

I just started a similar thread, hope its helpful to an extent (I used microcenter cpu and mobo bundle):

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/336794-31-help-microc...
m
0
l
February 18, 2012 12:36:54 AM

you can get a i5-2500K with a z68 motherboard from microcenter for about $229 bundle price. it's 179 for the proc, 99 for the motherboard, less 50 bundle savings, not a rebate.

8GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3-1333 was $29.99 last time I checked.

and they have some corsair builder PSU's for about $50.

If you're serious about low price, they have some crappy cases for like $17. But even a decent one would be less than $30 new.

that totals about $340 + tax + shipping.

can you reuse your hard drive and optical? and you already have a 5770. If it were me, I might spring for a small SSD for OS and maybe the current game I'm playing and use the HDD for storage.
m
0
l
February 18, 2012 12:53:58 AM

I'm interested in this microcenter bundle deal, but I've never looked at that site before, and I guess I'm not finding the deal? Can someone link me to it, or explain how the bundle thing works? Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but I'm feeling really dumb right now for not being able to figure it out lol
m
0
l
February 18, 2012 12:56:54 AM

The bundle works when you add any "K" series processor and any P67 or Z68 motherboard to the cart or buy together in store. It takes off the discount.

What parts are you keeping from your old computer? If you kept the GPU, HD, and OS, I could build you the rest of the tower from microcenter for around 450 and thats with a 2500K. The only catch is that the 2500K is an in store only deal, so you would have to have a microcenter near you to do it.

EDIT: Here's that build

Intel Core i5 2500K LGA 1155 Boxed Processor - 179.99
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard - 69.99 (bundle price)
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1333 Desktop Memory - 29.99
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - 49.99
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

LG 22x DVD±RW Super Multi Dual Layer Burner - 18.99
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Corsair Builder Series 600 Watt ATX 12V Power Supply - 67.99
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

TOTAL = 456.26 (after taxes)
m
0
l
February 18, 2012 1:00:51 AM

danawesome89 said:
I'm interested in this microcenter bundle deal, but I've never looked at that site before, and I guess I'm not finding the deal? Can someone link me to it, or explain how the bundle thing works? Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but I'm feeling really dumb right now for not being able to figure it out lol


Here: http://www.microcenter.com/specials/catalogs/index.html

And no, not all mobo is bundled with i5 2500k, some are only on i7 2600k. Try it if you don't believe me. Current it's only http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard

Correct me if I'm wrong
m
0
l
February 18, 2012 1:04:11 AM

Oh no, if it's in store only then I'm out of luck.

I live in Oregon, and it doesn't look like there is a microcenter anywhere in this state lol.

Is there any similar deal available online from any vendor?

I can keep the GPU and I have the OS, but I think I'm leaving the HD in my old comp because I want to keep it running as a second comp.

m
0
l
February 18, 2012 1:07:44 AM

danawesome89 said:
Oh no, if it's in store only then I'm out of luck.

I live in Oregon, and it doesn't look like there is a microcenter anywhere in this state lol.

Is there any similar deal available online from any vendor?

I can keep the GPU and I have the OS, but I think I'm leaving the HD in my old comp because I want to keep it running as a second comp.



Currently only microcenter has this kind of deal unfortunately... Other sites have similar prices, so I suggest if you can hold off until April (when Ivy Bridge comes out), the i5 may get discounted and you can take advantage of that. Btw newegg does not charge taxes in certain states, and I don't know about other sites... So buy on newegg if you can.
m
0
l
February 18, 2012 1:10:55 AM

Allright, well it sounds like maybe I'll just wait and see what Ivy Bridge does to Sandy Bridge prices.

And by the way, Oregon doesn't have any sales tax, so that's not a concern, although thanks for the info :) 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 18, 2012 1:35:02 AM

what is your total budget
m
0
l
!