Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD Radeon HD Crossfire?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 19, 2011 4:10:57 PM

Just a quick question about the AMD Crossfire... I currently own an XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB and was wondering what I could buy as a second GPU? Could I put an HD 6950? Or does it have to be another 6870? If it does have to be another 6870, does it have to be from the same brand or does it have to have the same amount of Video Ram?

More about : amd radeon crossfire

December 19, 2011 6:07:45 PM

Penley54 said:
Just a quick question about the AMD Crossfire... I currently own an XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB and was wondering what I could buy as a second GPU? Could I put an HD 6950? Or does it have to be another 6870? If it does have to be another 6870, does it have to be from the same brand or does it have to have the same amount of Video Ram?




You can crossfire with 6850 or 6870, but if you pair up you are limited to the speeds/specs of the lesser card (so if you got more vram I believe you would still be limited to the 1GB). If you double up on your current card, just go for another 6870 1gb. Cheers.
m
0
l
December 19, 2011 6:30:30 PM

I agree with the monkey. I'm Crossfiring 6870's right now. Love em'.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 19, 2011 8:37:35 PM

SinisterSalad said:
I agree with the monkey. I'm Crossfiring 6870's right now. Love em'.

what do you think of your 6870's? Do you like them? Do you have any problems with it being in crossfire? I have heard that there are a lot of problems with crossfire, is that true? If I were to upgrade, would recommend getting to 6870's or one 6950?
m
0
l
December 20, 2011 3:36:56 PM

With the latest drivers, I've not had any of the micro-stuttering issues that have been reported earlier. I do play BF3 on mostly high settings with AA enabled. Two 6870's will trounce a single 6950 performance-wise.
m
0
l
December 20, 2011 4:20:38 PM

SinisterSalad said:
With the latest drivers, I've not had any of the micro-stuttering issues that have been reported earlier. I do play BF3 on mostly high settings with AA enabled. Two 6870's will trounce a single 6950 performance-wise.

Is my Mother Board compatible with Crossfire? - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Also is a 600W Power Supply able to support 2 XFX Radeon HD 6870's?
m
0
l
December 20, 2011 4:48:13 PM

Penley54 said:
Is my Mother Board compatible with Crossfire? - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Also is a 600W Power Supply able to support 2 XFX Radeon HD 6870's?


Your motherboard's a little newer than mine, so it'll be good to go for Crossfire. As long as your power supply isn't some off the wall brand name, it should be fine. I'm running a 600 watt myself. :) 
m
0
l
December 20, 2011 5:16:57 PM

SinisterSalad said:
Your motherboard's a little newer than mine, so it'll be good to go for Crossfire. As long as your power supply isn't some off the wall brand name, it should be fine. I'm running a 600 watt myself. :) 

I have the same Power Supply as you do (read off of your sig.) But on Newegg.com it doesnt say anything about Crossfire support, but my Mother Board does have to PCI Slots but how do I know that it supports Crossfire and not just sli or something like that?
m
0
l
December 20, 2011 5:43:44 PM

Penley54 said:
I have the same Power Supply as you do (read off of your sig.) But on Newegg.com it doesnt say anything about Crossfire support, but my Mother Board does have to PCI Slots but how do I know that it supports Crossfire and not just sli or something like that?

I had to use the included Molex to PCI-E adapters that came with one of my GPUs, but it works good.

Your motherboard is an AMD, it better darn well support Crossfire, lol. ;) 
m
0
l
December 20, 2011 5:50:21 PM

SinisterSalad said:
I had to use the included Molex to PCI-E adapters that came with one of my GPUs, but it works good.

Your motherboard is an AMD, it better darn well support Crossfire, lol. ;) 

Lol it does but the second PCI slot is limited to 4x the speed, so is it worth buying the second card or just getting a 6950 or a single card similar to that?
m
0
l
December 20, 2011 5:51:36 PM

Mine's limited to 4x, too. Don't worry, there's plenty of bandwidth even with it at 4x.
m
0
l
December 20, 2011 5:53:33 PM

If you're not in a big hurry to upgrade, we'll see the 7000 series roll out starting Jan 9 which will either introduce a better upgrade path or drop down current gen pricing.

Although, if you find a really good deal on a 6870 then that's probably a good way to go.
m
0
l
December 20, 2011 5:58:22 PM

wolfram23 said:
If you're not in a big hurry to upgrade, we'll see the 7000 series roll out starting Jan 9 which will either introduce a better upgrade path or drop down current gen pricing.

Although, if you find a really good deal on a 6870 then that's probably a good way to go.

So far I've only seen stuff on the big dogs, though. Has there been anything reported on when the rest of the lineup will be released?
m
0
l
December 20, 2011 6:33:25 PM

Not really, but I'd wager we'll know more this week as the 22nd is slated for some kind of soft/paper launch. Ideally then AMD will release the official launch schedule.
m
0
l
!