Ivy bridge on intel's old chipsets (z68, p67 and h67)

gam0reily

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
(i know this ain't a graphic related question, but i find the people on this forum to be more active than on others.)

Its been going on for a while that the new Ivy Bridge is going to support 1155 board socket. But at the same time neither intel has made it clear that whether it'll be compatible with p67 or z68 !!! And some sites are saying that intel is planning on releasing three new chipsets viz, z77, z75 and h77.

Anandtech states that Ivy is supported by z77,z77,h77,z68,p67 and h67 -
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4830/intels-ivy-bridge-architecture-exposed

But the old series is not USB 3.0 compatible with it. So, instead of upgrading my mobo and CPU now, should I wait for the new chipsets to kick in, or the current chipsets will be good enough for Ivy when it comes. Coz Sandy Bridge is well within my budget and i was thinking of maybe upgrading that to an Ivy -1.5-2 years when i require.

Any thoughts??

Solution

You will probably need a bios update for ivy bridge. I would not worry about integrated usb3.0. Current motherboards do the same with extra chips to provide the function. If your anticipated cpu is a 2500K, then you will probably not need to change it out when ivy bridge launches. That is because it is already a very strong cpu
that is capable of driving any sane graphics configuration well today.

Solution