• Product
Last response: in Systems
February 18, 2012 2:04:42 AM

So I have a

1) Hive 80 plus bronze psu
2) asrock z68 extreme 3 gen 3 mobo
3) 2 4gb corsair ram
2) i2500k cpu

everything is plugged in but I cant get anything to boot up. I have the 24 and 8 pin power connectors attached and a line going from the psu to a power switch. The power switch works because my laptop is hooked up to it. Also it is switched to the "I" position.

IMPORTANT: When I first tried to start it it flashed red for a sec and that was it. I can't get it to do it again. Or anything at all. The power strip I am using is currently supporting a lamp so it is on.

Any Help? Do I need anything else installed to start it up besides what I have stated already?

More about : build wont

a c 78 B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2012 1:55:29 PM

Do you have a video card installed?

What is the wattage on the Hive PSU?

What case do you have?

Correct maker/model of everything is always a good start. Be as complete as you can about everything. Within a certain maker, some model lines have greatly larger failure rates than other model lines.

Is everything new, or was any of this used before?

You have the PSU plugged into a wall outlet for power, and you have tested the same one to work with other things, you said?

Did you screw the motherboard directly into your case wall? If so there should be a bag in with the case that has what are called standoffs in it, it has a screw on one end and a screw can be screwed into the other end. Those need to be between the motherboard and the case wall.

That can be a start to getting these things sorted.
m
l
February 18, 2012 2:19:28 PM

I did have my video card installed but as I said I didn't have the right power connectors connected to it.

The wattage is 550.

I brought everything new and here is a listing

Case- COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

PSU - Rosewill RP550V2-D-SL 550W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

MOBO - asrock z68 extreme 3 gen 3

CPU - Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor
(6M Cache, 3.30 GHz)

Cooler - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

Video card - EVGA 01G-P3-1460-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

RAM - "Corsair Memory 8 Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM CMX8GX3M2A1600C9"

The PSU was plugged into a power strip, that was running a laptop and lamp.

I did a biuld outside of the case first. I tried everything from having the whole computer put together to just having the cpu, cooler, and 1 ram stick in it. Nothing seems to work.
m
l
Related resources
February 18, 2012 2:42:39 PM

Are you sure you mentioned a video card in your first post? I could swear you didn't. You also said you had things connected to a power switch and nothing in my country is commonly called a power switch that I know about.

That might be why I am a little confused. It helps to be absolutely clear about what you mean when you are trying to explain what is going on, and not to leave things out.

In contrast, the listing makes things pretty much crystal clear.

Also, it does help to know everything you tried early on, rather than slow rolling us with the tests you already did.

That being said, it appears you have some sort of hardware failure with a core component.

Do you have another computer available that you could borrow parts from to test things with? One with similar specifications preferably? Doesn't matter who owns it as long as you can borrow from it for testing purposes.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2012 2:59:44 PM

thedastardlyone said:
I did have my video card installed but as I said I didn't have the right power connectors connected to it.

The wattage is 550.

I brought everything new and here is a listing

Case- COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

PSU - Rosewill RP550V2-D-SL 550W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

CPU - Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor
(6M Cache, 3.30 GHz)

Cooler - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

Video card - EVGA 01G-P3-1460-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

RAM - "Corsair Memory 8 Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM CMX8GX3M2A1600C9"

The PSU was plugged into a power strip, that was running a laptop and lamp.

I did a biuld outside of the case first. I tried everything from having the whole computer put together to just having the cpu, cooler, and 1 ram stick in it. Nothing seems to work.

Have you tried an external build? Remove the mobo (you can leave everything attached except the video card), put it all on a table on a static free surface, ground yourself and then connect the power, insert the video card and start the system. If it runs then you have a short when you put it in the case.
m
l
February 18, 2012 3:55:30 PM

Raiddinn said:
Are you sure you mentioned a video card in your first post? I could swear you didn't. You also said you had things connected to a power switch and nothing in my country is commonly called a power switch that I know about.

That might be why I am a little confused. It helps to be absolutely clear about what you mean when you are trying to explain what is going on, and not to leave things out.

In contrast, the listing makes things pretty much crystal clear.

Also, it does help to know everything you tried early on, rather than slow rolling us with the tests you already did.

That being said, it appears you have some sort of hardware failure with a core component.

Do you have another computer available that you could borrow parts from to test things with? One with similar specifications preferably? Doesn't matter who owns it as long as you can borrow from it for testing purposes.

Sorry, I was thinking of another post where I mentioned the video card. Yes, the first time I tried to start the computer was an external build with two ram sticks, the processor, cooler, and video card connected. The video card was connected to the wrong sockets in the PSU though. I just had a red flash of light on the mobo and that was it.

I meant power strip when I said power switch.

I only have one friend who is a builder, although his rig is above and beyond mine. I can call him for help, if he is available.

If he can't help, can I take it to a computer store to test the parts?

Thanks for the help.
m
l
February 18, 2012 3:58:32 PM

QuietPC said:
Have you tried an external build? Remove the mobo (you can leave everything attached except the video card), put it all on a table on a static free surface, ground yourself and then connect the power, insert the video card and start the system. If it runs then you have a short when you put it in the case.

That was the first thing I did. I built it on the box the mobo came in. I am pretty sure there is no static electricity. I was in my kitchen and my apartment can grow mushrooms on small potted plants and some mold in the bathroom. It is the opposite of dry.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2012 4:25:03 PM

thedastardlyone said:
That was the first thing I did. I built it on the box the mobo came in. I am pretty sure there is no static electricity. I was in my kitchen and my apartment can grow mushrooms on small potted plants and some mold in the bathroom. It is the opposite of dry.

If there is a good shop you can access they can tell you quickly what the issue is.
m
l
February 18, 2012 4:29:25 PM

QuietPC said:
If there is a good shop you can access they can tell you quickly what the issue is.

Do you think geeksquad is an acceptable choice?

Also if I bring it somewhere, What is the best way to bring it? Fully put together or separated?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2012 5:18:58 PM

thedastardlyone said:
Do you think geeksquad is an acceptable choice?

Also if I bring it somewhere, What is the best way to bring it? Fully put together or separated?

I think Geek is not that good and way overpriced. Look online to see if there are local shops. Check Yelp for your area to see if people have recommended shops. Take the whole box with everything in it as you were trying to get it to run. Call the shop before you take it and talk to them as well and find out what they would do, an estimate, whether you can wait, etc.
m
l
February 18, 2012 6:00:06 PM

You should consider asking the friend what his setup is.

Even though his computer is above and beyond yours, there may be some things like RAM in his you can try in yours and you may be able to try your RAM in his.

PSUs too.

It would be worth looking into before you go pay a computer store a lot of money.
m
l
March 4, 2012 11:29:25 PM

Hey guys,

I finally got new parts. I can get everything to startup but I can't get any video output. I didn't get a system speaker with my latest shipment. So I will have to go out tomorrow to find one, but I was wondering if anyone has any advice.
m
l
March 5, 2012 12:56:04 PM

Which new parts did you get?
m
l
March 5, 2012 2:54:33 PM

I got replacement parts for my psu and mobo, but they are still the same type.

m
l
March 6, 2012 8:01:26 PM

Raiddinn said:
You should consider asking the friend what his setup is.

Even though his computer is above and beyond yours, there may be some things like RAM in his you can try in yours and you may be able to try your RAM in his.

PSUs too.

It would be worth looking into before you go pay a computer store a lot of money.

Did you do the other thing I asked you to?

The Video Card looks like a reasonable possibility.

If possible, it is a good idea to test this sort of thing before you blindly ask for replacement parts.
m
l
March 7, 2012 1:44:46 AM

He is kind of a flaky guy, so it is hard to get him to help. I use friend in a loose sense.

Well when I got the replacement parts the the computer starts to boot up. When I got the system speaker, I think I diagnosed the problem to something with the ram. If I have no ram and just the processor I get three beeps which means no RAM. Then If I put RAM in any slot and turn it on no beeps happen. According to the website no beeps mean bad cpu or ram. I also have a dr. debug code of E2 which means video repost.

Can anyone give further advice? Do I just need new RAM?

Thanks for all the help so far.
m
l
March 7, 2012 12:19:59 PM

What happens when you take the video card out and just use the video ports built into the motherboard instead?
m
l
March 7, 2012 4:21:42 PM

I have tried it with both the video card installed and the monitor hooked up to both the video card port and the mobo ports. Nothing works.

But to further answer your question. In my process I had just the CPU and CPU fan installed everything went on and I got 3 beeps, which means no RAM. When I install just the RAM after that, everything goes on and I get no beeps. Which mean bad ram or CPU. I figured my problem is the RAM since I don't get no beeps with just the CPU installed.
m
l
March 7, 2012 5:56:14 PM

I would look into the RAM first.
m
l
March 9, 2012 4:36:17 PM

Hi just had this convo with Asrock tech support. Is their reply is english? I can't tell if I am just too much of a noob, or they did not bother to form a sentence.

Me: I just wanted to ask. What does the video repost Debug code mean? Is there
a problem with my RAM sticks or the mobo?

Asrock supp:
It means being the POST stage it detect all the CPU, memory, video card, and I/O ports make sure all function correctly.

Can anyone translate?
m
l
March 9, 2012 7:53:24 PM

What they tried to say is one beep means everything in the core is functional.
m
l
April 25, 2012 4:39:32 PM

So I sent back my mobo to the manufacturer and received another one that they said was tested.

I actually think it is the same one I sent them and they told me it was tested and works. However I keep getting the same problems. I get the beeps with just the CPU but I get no beeps when I install the RAM. I asked them if my RAM is compatible and they said yes. Everything fires up but my debug gives me the video post code and nothing displays on screen.

The help desk at Asrock doesn't really work with me they just give me the same stock answers over and over again. I am just seeing if you guys have any ideas or know of a different mobo I could buy.
m
l
!