I hope that if Xbox2 is not backwards compatible, at least make the
controllers backwards compatible. I've bought 4 Microsoft ones and its a
hefty chunk of change.

On 2/4/2005 2:33 PM, cunning linguist spake thusly:

> I hope that if Xbox2 is not backwards compatible, at least make the
> controllers backwards compatible. I've bought 4 Microsoft ones and its a
> hefty chunk of change.

Unlikely. MS has said they plan to revamp the controller, possibly taking
out the black and white buttons and adding another set of triggers or
something. Personally I think the Controller S is perfect as is, B&W buttons
included. I even prefer it over the DualShock2.

-Z-

cunning linguist wrote:
> I hope that if Xbox2 is not backwards compatible, at least make the
> controllers backwards compatible. I've bought 4 Microsoft ones and
> its a hefty chunk of change.

What I would like to see, is it have USB ports for controllers. Not
going to happen, but then you could also use PC controllers and such

"cunning linguist" <cunninglinguist@cl.com> wrote in message
>I hope that if Xbox2 is not backwards compatible, at least make the
> controllers backwards compatible. I've bought 4 Microsoft ones and its a
> hefty chunk of change.

Good point. I really like the Controller S. Much better than the original,
and I can't stand the PS2 controller (I know I'll be crucified for that
one). I, too own four Controller S's for my XBOX.and would be nice not to
have to buy more new ones.

Zackman wrote:
> On 2/4/2005 2:33 PM, cunning linguist spake thusly:
>

>>I hope that if Xbox2 is not backwards compatible, at least make the
>>controllers backwards compatible. I've bought 4 Microsoft ones and its a
>>hefty chunk of change.
>

> Unlikely. MS has said they plan to revamp the controller, possibly taking
> out the black and white buttons and adding another set of triggers or
> something. Personally I think the Controller S is perfect as is, B&W buttons
> included. I even prefer it over the DualShock2.
>
> -Z-

The S controller is not bad, a definite improvement over that
"gianourmus" one they came out with originally. They would still be
better off IMO in changing the B&W buttons...those are just bad, really
bad. Certain games it truly hurts them having those buttons and where
they are.

"Jeremy Reaban" <jer@connectria.com> wrote in message
> cunning linguist wrote:
> > I hope that if Xbox2 is not backwards compatible, at least make the
> > controllers backwards compatible. I've bought 4 Microsoft ones and
> > its a hefty chunk of change.
>
> What I would like to see, is it have USB ports for controllers. Not
> going to happen, but then you could also use PC controllers and such

reply 1.a) you can buy usb adapters for use with keyboards/mice/etc (for
converted xbox to linux/etc)

reply 1.b) in order to do that and have it WORK, they'd have to allow 3rd
parties to install software/drivers for the gamepads and MS isnt interested
in having that happen. and frankly, im glad they dont. if I wanted a bunch
of 3rd party drivers conflicting with and crashing my box, I'd play games on
my computer.

wd wrote:
> "Jeremy Reaban" <jer@connectria.com> wrote in message
>> cunning linguist wrote:
>>> I hope that if Xbox2 is not backwards compatible, at least make
the
>>> controllers backwards compatible. I've bought 4 Microsoft ones
and
>>> its a hefty chunk of change.
>>
>> What I would like to see, is it have USB ports for controllers. Not
>> going to happen, but then you could also use PC controllers and
such

> reply 1.a) you can buy usb adapters for use with keyboards/mice/etc
> (for converted xbox to linux/etc)
>
> reply 1.b) in order to do that and have it WORK, they'd have to
allow
> 3rd parties to install software/drivers for the gamepads and MS isnt
> interested in having that happen. and frankly, im glad they dont.
if
> I wanted a bunch of 3rd party drivers conflicting with and crashing
> my box, I'd play games on my computer.

Windows 98SE comes with support for something like 30 different game
controllers, plus some generic ones. I've never had to actually
install a driver for a game controller. (Though admittedly, I only
have had 2 gamepads and an old flightstick). Presumably Win XP has a
lot more, and probably enough to make my idea viable.

"cunning linguist" <cunninglinguist@cl.com> wrote in message
>I hope that if Xbox2 is not backwards compatible, at least make the
> controllers backwards compatible. I've bought 4 Microsoft ones and its a
> hefty chunk of change.

Won't happen. Although I do wish I could still be using my NES controllers
for all systems. ;)

HDTV games lists and discussions
http://www.hdtvarcade.com

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I'm still vsing my "gianormovs" controllers althovgh the left stick is gone
on one and abovt to go on the other.

--
ItsKanetastic29 (formerly Union Kane)
"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

> Zackman wrote:
>> On 2/4/2005 2:33 PM, cvnning lingvist spake thvsly:
>>

>>>I hope that if Xbox2 is not backwards compatible, at least make the
>>>controllers backwards compatible. I've bovght 4 Microsoft ones and its a
>>>hefty chvnk of change.
>>

>> Unlikely. MS has said they plan to revamp the controller, possibly taking
>> ovt the black and white bvttons and adding another set of triggers or
>> something. Personally I think the Controller S is perfect as is, B&W
>> bvttons
>> inclvded. I even prefer it over the DvalShock2.
>>
>> -Z-
>>

> The S controller is not bad, a definite improvement over that "gianovrmvs"
> one they came ovt with originally. They wovld still be better off IMO in
> changing the B&W bvttons...those are jvst bad, really bad. Certain games
> it trvly hvrts them having those bvttons and where they are.

Thrill

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2005

I like the controller S, although I do wish the black and white buttons were
above the q-b-x-y buttons as with the original. The original was simply too
large to reach them, but the S is not. In football games, withthe black and
white above the others, you can slide your left index finger to press the
B/W buttons while still pressing the 'A' button to maintain charge of the
move. With them below you can only use your thumb for either 'A' or the B/W
buttons. This is not as good. They over-compensated, IMO, moving the buttons
beneath the main ones -- and unfortunately ,a few third-parties like
Logitech faolwed suit. Otherwise the S pad is perfect.