Sign in with
Your question

Stumped on new build ideas..

Last response: in Systems
February 18, 2012 2:08:59 AM

Hi everyone. I wanna build a new pc, mainly for gaming and everyday use and i have a couple issues.

1. What in the hell is this PCIE 3.0 nonsense and is it really necessary to have? I'm just wondering cause if there will actually be insane performance boosts with this technology than i might consider buying the new socket LGA 2011 motherboards. Also, is there any point buying old generation graphic cards?? or should i just go ahead and buy 3.0 supports GPUs

2. Are there only 2 LGA 2011 cpus out currently? or is there a cheaper one in the works..i would never spend more than 400 dollars on a CPU as i don't need that much power

3. I have always been torn between buying either a Dual GPU in one type thing, or 2 separate cards. Which is actually better performance and more stable?

4. Where can i get water-cooling components for a cheap-fair price?? Id rather spend most of the money on the parts rather than the accessories.

Thanks.

P.S, My current GPU is overheating like mad, even though i recently applied new thermal paste too it and it gets pretty good cooling...what gives??? :l

More about : stumped build ideas

February 19, 2012 3:51:12 PM

1. Not really necessary as yet. Testing has shown it not to offer significant improvement.

2. Ivy bridge is not officially out until April. Even lower end chips will be expensive and little faster over current, especially for gaming.

3.you can review Tom's charts and decide for yourself as to cost vs. performance. http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2011-gaming-graphics...

4. I will have to defer to others on water cooling as I do not use it.
February 19, 2012 5:04:20 PM

1. It's a new interface for new high speed graphics cards, but like RAM your motherboard will default to the lowest setting it can handle.

2. The i7-3820 has just been released, take a look: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I think SB-E would be a better way to go - you get PCI-E 3.0 support out of the box, quad channel RAM, and it will be quite a bit more future-proof than SB and IB will as IB will be the end of the line for Z68 and P67 systems.

3. I've personally never been a big fan of the two-GPUs-in-one-card design - most of the time these cards can't be SLI'd or Crossfired and they generally wind up being slower than what an actual SLI or Crossfire setup would yield. It's best to get a solid, single card like a 7970, than two weaker cards in an SLI or Crossfire setup.

4. I generally try to advise people against liquid cooling because if something goes wrong, there goes your whole system. If you try to RMA your CPU on a liquid cooled setup, Intel will void your warranty. Not to mention your motherboard, GPU, and so on vendors will void their warranties as well.
!