Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU Temp Discrepency

Last response: in CPUs
June 5, 2012 12:12:50 AM

My friend has a i5-2500K and was running Core Temp to check his temps. The Core Temp pgm says the TjMax temp is 98C. The Intel site and this site: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core%20i5-2... Says the max temp should only be 72.6C

What is a safe temp? What do we go by?

More about : cpu temp discrepency

Best solution

a c 283 à CPUs
June 5, 2012 12:15:18 AM

TCase (what the Intel site says) is max package temp and Tjmax is max core temp. It'll throttle at or just below Tjmax, and going slightly beyond 72C on the package isn't terribly problematic either.
June 5, 2012 12:26:23 AM

Wait. What? The site I linked to (and Intel) is showing a max temp of 26 degrees C lower than the chip can actually take? There's a separate sensor in the package and other censors in the individual cores? Now I am confused.
m
l
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
June 5, 2012 12:29:44 AM

box o rocks said:
Wait. What? The site I linked to (and Intel) is showing a max temp of 26 degrees C lower than the chip can actually take? There's a separate sensor in the package and other censors in the individual cores? Now I am confused.

It's because of what I said, lol. The recommended max PACKAGE temp (or overall CPU temp, if you will) is 72.6C, but the max CORE temp is 98C, which is where it's truly dangerous and will throttle.

Slightly higher than 72C is considered to be OK. It's when you get to 80-85C+ on the the package temp that it's a problem.

And yes, there are separate sensors for the cores and on the IHS.
m
l
June 5, 2012 12:46:12 AM

OK. Makes sense. So then using Core Temp to read temps, he said he was reading upper 60s and lower 70s (C) depending on the core. (Can't remember the exact numbers now) That is OK? He should watch the TjMax and not exceed it when reading temps w/CT because that is what CT reads?

Btw, thank you for your help. I meant to say that first off.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
June 5, 2012 12:49:37 AM

box o rocks said:
OK. Makes sense. So then using Core Temp to read temps, he said he was reading upper 60s and lower 70s (C) depending on the core. (Can't remember the exact numbers now) That is OK? He should watch the TjMax and not exceed it when reading temps w/CT because that is what CT reads?

Btw, thank you for your help. I meant to say that first off.

No problem at all, and glad to help! But yes, those temps are fine. Core Temp is good to look at the core temps, but I would also recommend HWMonitor to look at the package temp (also shows core temps and many other things, if you want an all-in-one thing).

Just for reference BTW, I'm at 59-63C at 4.5Ghz and 1.277V at 100% load in Prime 95 with a 212 Evo in push/pull.
m
l
June 5, 2012 1:21:03 AM

Wow. 2 fans on your cooler. Does that make a lot of difference over just one fan? We figured the rear case exhaust fan would work as the 2nd fan since it sits so close to the cooler and the cooler is blowing towards it. I can't remember which cooler he bought, but it has a big fan on it. About the same size as his case exhaust fan, I think.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
June 5, 2012 1:28:41 AM

box o rocks said:
Wow. 2 fans on your cooler. Does that make a lot of difference over just one fan? We figured the rear case exhaust fan would work as the 2nd fan since it sits so close to the cooler and the cooler is blowing towards it. I can't remember which cooler he bought, but it has a big fan on it. About the same size as his case exhaust fan, I think.

Honestly, not really. Something like a 2-5C difference under load and no difference at idle, but it's nice to have anyway, lol.
m
l
June 5, 2012 1:33:17 AM

OK. Thank you again for all your help. When I see him tomorrow, I can be 'Mr. Knowledge' now :D 
I better let you go. I've hoarded enough of your time. Thanks.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
June 5, 2012 1:36:15 AM

box o rocks said:
OK. Thank you again for all your help. When I see him tomorrow, I can be 'Mr. Knowledge' now :D 
I better let you go. I've hoarded enough of your time. Thanks.

LOL, no it was no problem at all. :) 
m
l
June 12, 2012 2:18:01 AM

Best answer selected by box o rocks.
m
l
!