tommy1992

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Hi everyone,
Im looking at getting into building my own system after my laptops motherboard melted. Ive had a fair break from gaming and am looking at getting back into it.
After reading about different components and parts, I have put together a system and would really appreciate any feedback you may have.

My budget is $3000 AUD give or take a hundred or two depending on what you all suggest. If you believe I can get a more powerful system for less then please suggest any changes I should make. The same goes for the higher end. If for an extra hundred or two I can get something more powerful then please suggest.
Right now the system is at $2800 so I still have $200 to play with. Im not sure as to the networking and sound cards with the motherboards now. It will be running on wireless until I set up the ethernet cable through the house.
The system is as follows:
Intel S2011 Core i7 3820 3.60GHz 4x Core CPU (No Heatsink included)
ASUS S2011 ATX Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard with BF3
DDR3 16GB (4x4G) Corsair 1600MHz Vengeance RAM Kit PN CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B
2TB Seagate Barracuda XT 7200rpm SATA 6Gb/s HDD PN ST32000641AS
NVIDIA GTX580 1536MB Gigabyte GTX580 Super Overclock PCIe Video Card
CoolerMaster Full XL-ATX HAF X Case Black (No PSU) (PN RC-942-KKN1)
1100 Watt CoolerMaster UCP RSB00-AAAA-A3 ULTIMATE Power Supply
Blu-Ray Combo Samsung 12x SH-B123L/RSBP SATA Drive Black
Blu-Ray Writer Pioneer BDR-207DBK 12x SATA Black OEM
PCIe Asus Xonar DX Sound Card
Thermaltake ISGC400 CPU Heatsink

Overclocking is something that I would like to look at using, however I would like to know I have selected a system that can do this as well as a making sure the cooling can handle this.

Thank you in advance.

Avoid network or sound cards. The build in stuff on the motherboard is almost always good enough.

I would get rid of the Cooler Master PSU and get an Enermax instead if you for some reason want to have 1100 watts. The system as such should not be able to do much more than half of that and I would say to get an XFX 750w or 850w instead, but if you want to be in the 1000+ range then Enermax is the best brand name and with PSUs it is worth paying for the best brand name.

Thermaltake CPU Cooler - Most people around here suggest the Hyper 212, Hyper 212 EVO, or an H80 or something like that instead. You might want to consider those choices, especially if you intend to OC.

I don't know much about the Thermaltake one you selected other than nobody ever suggests it around here. It could be good or not, but there is no sense being the test victim in my mind.

In general, though, the whole thing seems to be a little overkill-ish to me. You could probably save 1000 AUD and still perform at level where the differences aren't noticeable.

There is something to say for future proofing and I can see that, but there is also something to say for having a spare 1000 AUD laying around too.

QuietPC

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012