Dream PDA addendum

Last response: in Technologies
April 9, 2005 4:40:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

For the GPS wish, it would need to be independent of tower communication,
so if I venture away from service, I still have full GPS capability.

For IP, GPRS or newer with the possible option of WiFi, so if I have
problems with tower access, I can try and use WiFi as my backup.

Thanks again.

Scott

More about : dream pda addendum

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 3:43:33 PM

Scott Ehrlich <scott@mit.edu> wrote:

> For the GPS wish, it would need to be independent of tower communication,
> so if I venture away from service, I still have full GPS capability.

Well, that shouldn't be a problem, as the GPS signal comes from
satellites in orbit, not from any ground-based towers.

April 13, 2005 7:27:50 PM

"mark haynes" <mark.haynes@despammed.com> wrote in message news:1guz7uc.m248md4xyiwN%mark.haynes@despammed.com...
> Scott Ehrlich <scott@mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> For the GPS wish, it would need to be independent of tower communication,
>> so if I venture away from service, I still have full GPS capability.
>
> Well, that shouldn't be a problem, as the GPS signal comes from
> satellites in orbit, not from any ground-based towers.

Which is fine when away from tall buildings.
Unfortunately, in cities where the buildings are mostly 10 stories
or taller, the GPS signals are blocked.

--
John Richards
Related resources

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 11:43:33 GMT, mark.haynes@despammed.com (mark haynes) wrote:

>Scott Ehrlich <scott@mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> For the GPS wish, it would need to be independent of tower communication,
>> so if I venture away from service, I still have full GPS capability.
>
>Well, that shouldn't be a problem, as the GPS signal comes from
>satellites in orbit, not from any ground-based towers.

Ah, but many phones with GPS receivers require a connection to the network to do
the processing of the signals and calculate the location.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 2:31:05 AM

<johnbartley@email.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 11:43:33 GMT, mark.haynes@despammed.com
> (mark haynes) wrote:
>
> >Scott Ehrlich <scott@mit.edu> wrote:
> >
> >> For the GPS wish, it would need to be independent of tower communication,
> >> so if I venture away from service, I still have full GPS capability.
> >
> >Well, that shouldn't be a problem, as the GPS signal comes from
> >satellites in orbit, not from any ground-based towers.
>
> Ah, but many phones with GPS receivers require a connection to the network to
> do
> the processing of the signals and calculate the location.

Ah, that's interesting. And, dare I say it, a bit bloody useless if
you're out of range of the cellular signal.

Hmm. I'm going to look into this a bit more. Thanks for the information.

mark