Dream PDA addendum

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

For the GPS wish, it would need to be independent of tower communication,
so if I venture away from service, I still have full GPS capability.

For IP, GPRS or newer with the possible option of WiFi, so if I have
problems with tower access, I can try and use WiFi as my backup.

Thanks again.

Scott
4 answers Last reply
More about dream addendum
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    Scott Ehrlich <scott@mit.edu> wrote:

    > For the GPS wish, it would need to be independent of tower communication,
    > so if I venture away from service, I still have full GPS capability.

    Well, that shouldn't be a problem, as the GPS signal comes from
    satellites in orbit, not from any ground-based towers.

    --
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    "mark haynes" <mark.haynes@despammed.com> wrote in message news:1guz7uc.m248md4xyiwN%mark.haynes@despammed.com...
    > Scott Ehrlich <scott@mit.edu> wrote:
    >
    >> For the GPS wish, it would need to be independent of tower communication,
    >> so if I venture away from service, I still have full GPS capability.
    >
    > Well, that shouldn't be a problem, as the GPS signal comes from
    > satellites in orbit, not from any ground-based towers.

    Which is fine when away from tall buildings.
    Unfortunately, in cities where the buildings are mostly 10 stories
    or taller, the GPS signals are blocked.

    --
    John Richards
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 11:43:33 GMT, mark.haynes@despammed.com (mark haynes) wrote:

    >Scott Ehrlich <scott@mit.edu> wrote:
    >
    >> For the GPS wish, it would need to be independent of tower communication,
    >> so if I venture away from service, I still have full GPS capability.
    >
    >Well, that shouldn't be a problem, as the GPS signal comes from
    >satellites in orbit, not from any ground-based towers.

    Ah, but many phones with GPS receivers require a connection to the network to do
    the processing of the signals and calculate the location.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream,alt.cellular.gsm (More info?)

    <johnbartley@email.com> wrote:

    > On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 11:43:33 GMT, mark.haynes@despammed.com
    > (mark haynes) wrote:
    >
    > >Scott Ehrlich <scott@mit.edu> wrote:
    > >
    > >> For the GPS wish, it would need to be independent of tower communication,
    > >> so if I venture away from service, I still have full GPS capability.
    > >
    > >Well, that shouldn't be a problem, as the GPS signal comes from
    > >satellites in orbit, not from any ground-based towers.
    >
    > Ah, but many phones with GPS receivers require a connection to the network to
    > do
    > the processing of the signals and calculate the location.

    Ah, that's interesting. And, dare I say it, a bit bloody useless if
    you're out of range of the cellular signal.

    Hmm. I'm going to look into this a bit more. Thanks for the information.

    mark

GSM WiFi GPS