Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Which AMD CPU to purchase?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
June 5, 2012 2:40:51 AM

Hi,
I want to purchase an AMD processor for about $125-$130 tops. I will pair this with an ASUS AM3 970 Evo motherboard and 8gb of Corsair DDR3 memory.
The current choices online or at a local Microcenter store are -
1. AMD Phenom II x4 965BE - $99
2. AMD Phenom II x6 1045T - $99
3. AMD FX 6100 Black Edition - $119

Please also note that i can wait a month or so if a new CPU from AMD is around the corner.

My usage is normal browsing and light gaming.

Thanks in advance!

More about : amd cpu purchase

a c 900 à CPUs
a c 360 À AMD
June 5, 2012 2:48:09 AM

The 965BE is going to give the best gaming experience. They are all overkill for web browsing.
m
0
l
a c 387 à CPUs
a c 168 À AMD
June 5, 2012 2:51:07 AM

The AMD Piledriver series will be available for Desktops in August/September... so they say. If you can wait that long. But any of the choices you mention are more than adequate for 'light gaming' and browsing. Remember, any serious gaming requires a discrete graphics card.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 5, 2012 3:04:54 AM

clutchc said:
The AMD Piledriver series will be available for Desktops in August/September... so they say. If you can wait that long. But any of the choices you mention are more than adequate for 'light gaming' and browsing. Remember, any serious gaming requires a discrete graphics card.


Out of the Phenom x6 1045 @2.7Ghz or 965 BE which one would you recommend. I'm reading too many complaints with the FX series here.
m
0
l
a c 387 à CPUs
a c 168 À AMD
June 5, 2012 3:12:24 AM

The PHIIX4 965 is faster. Unless you need 6 cores for some reason, I would choose the quad core. If you decide to do more serious gaming (with a good graphics card), the quad would be a better choice. Most games utilize 3 - 4 cores max. The 6 core processor would effectively end up being a slow quad core for gaming. And for browsing, anything will work.

What do you consider 'light gaming'?
m
0
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 5, 2012 3:18:28 AM

965BE, not many games can use more than four cores and the 965BE clockspeed is much higher!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 5, 2012 3:35:44 AM

You are comparing a high end 4x core to a mid level 6x core.

Ask if they have the 960T, it's a 4x core with 2x cores disabled, so sells for 4x core money. Also with certain mobo's (read: almost everyone) you can 'unlock' the 2x locked cores and have a 6x core. They are very rare and not supplied in large numbers, a small quiet word may be of assistance here to the manager of the shop.

Disregarding the 960t, the 965be is a very nice processor, also with an after market cooler the ability for overclocking may give you a nice, but usually not necessary boost for performance.

The Entry level x6 will primarily be of (little) benefit in multithreaded applications. Bear in mind, thanks to the iX series by Intel, it has become in the best interest of Game makers to produce multithreaded games and applications that can use the iX series to their full potentially.

But that benefit would be negligable (10-15fps) in a real world situation.

Go with the 965be (or 960t) as myself (going from an X2 250 (3ghz) to a 960T 6x) you will not be disappointed. The difference is night and day.
m
0
l
June 5, 2012 4:05:28 AM

teh_gerbil said:
You are comparing a high end 4x core to a mid level 6x core.

Ask if they have the 960T, it's a 4x core with 2x cores disabled, so sells for 4x core money. Also with certain mobo's (read: almost everyone) you can 'unlock' the 2x locked cores and have a 6x core. They are very rare and not supplied in large numbers, a small quiet word may be of assistance here to the manager of the shop.

Disregarding the 960t, the 965be is a very nice processor, also with an after market cooler the ability for overclocking may give you a nice, but usually not necessary boost for performance.

The Entry level x6 will primarily be of (little) benefit in multithreaded applications. Bear in mind, thanks to the iX series by Intel, it has become in the best interest of Game makers to produce multithreaded games and applications that can use the iX series to their full potentially.

But that benefit would be negligable (10-15fps) in a real world situation.

Go with the 965be (or 960t) as myself (going from an X2 250 (3ghz) to a 960T 6x) you will not be disappointed. The difference is night and day.


Thanks for the advice. I am upgrading from the phenom II x4 840.
m
0
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 5, 2012 4:06:39 AM

You don't need to upgrade from a 840. There really won't be an increase in performance. If you feel like it is slow, OVERCLOCK.
m
0
l
a c 152 à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 5, 2012 4:14:06 AM

There really woun't be a huge performance increase from the 840 to the 965. If you know how to overclock you should try that and see if that helps with performance.
m
0
l
a c 387 à CPUs
a c 168 À AMD
June 5, 2012 4:18:18 AM

The Phenom II x4 840 is basically a Athlon II X4 650. It has no L3 cache. The Phenom II X4 965 with its L3 cache will be a slight improvement.
m
0
l
a c 152 à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 5, 2012 4:20:27 AM

Yes the main highlight there is the word SLIGHT.
m
0
l
a c 387 à CPUs
a c 168 À AMD
June 5, 2012 4:25:37 AM

+1^
LOL... yeah, I was trying to be polite.


Btw... Anyone know why my signature keeps disapearing?
m
0
l
June 5, 2012 4:28:38 AM

The 960t is OOS unfortunately:( 
m
0
l
a c 152 à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 5, 2012 4:29:20 AM

I don't know why it does that, maybe something with the cookies. I just go into my profile and re-set the settings for it to show again.
m
0
l
a c 387 à CPUs
a c 168 À AMD
June 5, 2012 4:34:13 AM

alex_ferguson said:
The 960t is OOS unfortunately:( 

If you already have a cooler, why not go for the OEM Phenom II X4 980? It will be about as fast a Phenom II you can buy for gaming. I used to have one with a pair of HD 6850s. No game too much for it. Unfortunately, the Xfire micro-stutter was a killer with two mid range cards.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a c 387 à CPUs
a c 168 À AMD
June 5, 2012 4:35:16 AM

rds1220 said:
I don't know why it does that, maybe something with the cookies. I just go into my profile and re-set the settings for it to show again.

Yeah, tried that twice. No go. Maybe I'll reboot my browser and try again.
m
0
l
June 5, 2012 4:45:18 AM

clutchc said:
If you already have a cooler, why not go for the OEM Phenom II X4 980? It will be about as fast a Phenom II you can buy for gaming. I used to have one with a pair of HD 6850s. No game too much for it. Unfortunately, the Xfire micro-stutter was a killer with two mid range cards.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I do not have a cooler. Can the cores be unlocked on this one too?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 5, 2012 5:00:46 AM

Wont be to much of an upgrade from the 840, Don't go for the FX-6100, they are not as fast as the Phenom II Quads, and To be honest I don't think they are really true six cores. I could be wrong. Better off upgrading to a 965 or the 960T and unlock it. If it don't unlock, It OC vary well from what some people say, and OC to the 965 clock speed or higher.
m
0
l
June 5, 2012 5:22:22 AM

phenom x4
m
0
l
a c 480 à CPUs
a c 122 À AMD
June 5, 2012 5:33:46 AM

amuffin said:
965BE, not many games can use more than four cores and the 965BE clockspeed is much higher!


Not many games are even capable of using 4 cores either.

The vast majority of games only use 2 cores. While the number of games capable of using more than two cores is on the rise, the percentage will still be small compared to just two cores for at least the next 5 - 7 years. And that's being optimistic for quad cores.
m
0
l
a c 480 à CPUs
a c 122 À AMD
June 5, 2012 5:35:26 AM

My vote is for the 965 BE.

If you were doing video encoding or 3D rendering, then the 1045T would likely be the better choice.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 5, 2012 5:56:05 AM

save the money. you will be hard pressed to notice the upgrade in CPU.

put the money into an SSD or video card.
m
0
l
June 5, 2012 11:52:26 PM

how about the Phenom II X4 B93 Socket AM3 Processor? It is available for $60 at MC.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2012 2:12:56 AM

That would not be an upgrade from your 840.
m
0
l
June 6, 2012 4:08:03 AM

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I purchased the 965BE and a new ASUS m5a970 EVo motherboard. The bios detects everything correctly and the windows logo comes on and after about 5 seconds the system restarts. The CPU light and the Memory light (red) flash and then the computer restarts.
What could be wrong?
I checked my 8gb (2x4gb) CORSAIR Vengeance memory is ok (used mem ok) switch, the video card is a Gigabyte 6670 and that is fine too.

Please advise.
m
0
l
a c 152 à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 6, 2012 4:10:27 AM

I really don't like the mem ok switches on motherboards, I just don't trust them. I still try one stick at a time and see if it still has a problem. Also make sure the RAM is fully seated and the clips are locked.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
June 6, 2012 7:25:50 AM

I'm not sure if you are familiar with bois, But if you can boot into the bios and search fro somthing like "Storage" "Sata Configuration" and set it to IDE Mode. Some of them Asus boards default to AHCI Mode and some HDD's just don't like the setting. Save and restart and see if you can boot into windows.

I don't think its RAM Related, Usually that will blue screen if a stick or dimm is bad..
Share
June 9, 2012 4:00:04 PM

Best answer selected by alex_ferguson.
m
0
l
!