I5-2500k stock cooler WONT SPEED UP!?!?!

jakethesnak3

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Hi, I need a little help here please. Just got my new rig (will list all specs below) and everything is working great except... at idle my processor temps per speedfan, desktop gadget and ASUS Fan Xpert are around 32ºC. That is all fine since I am running the stock cooler. When I game, render with 3dMax or Blender 2.60 my temps spike up to about 85ºC!!! And this is at stock clocks. I did some digging and all that I can tell is that my stock cooler is sitting at 1300rpm and wont budge. I have tried to adjust it in the bios and cannot, and have tried through Fan Xpert. It wont budge. So I guess really what I am asking is does the E97378-001 CPU cooler from intel not go over 1300rpm? Is it supposed to speed up when my CPU hits 72ºC? Do horses wear horse socks? Is anyone listening to me? lol... sorry. Thanks for your help in advance. I will probably buy a new cooler but this is bugging me.

Intel i5-2500K @3.3ghz
ASUS P8Z68-V LX Mobo
16gb Patriot DDR3-12800
1TB Seagate 7200 RPM 6g/s
XFX ATI HD6950 2GB XXX
Corsair 650W PS

Solution
Lol, fukkin horse socks... Well that cooler looks like one of those sh*tty push pin coolers. Make sure all four pins are secure and that the heatsink actually has decent retention against the CPU. Also, if your fan doesn't change speed, make sure you connected it to the 4-pin CPU fan connector on your board and not a 3-pin fan connector meant for case fans. The 3rd pin is for rpm monitoring and the 4th pin is for speed control. Those are my best guesses right now. But I am currently pretty hammered so I might have better ideas tomorrow lol.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Lol, fukkin horse socks... Well that cooler looks like one of those sh*tty push pin coolers. Make sure all four pins are secure and that the heatsink actually has decent retention against the CPU. Also, if your fan doesn't change speed, make sure you connected it to the 4-pin CPU fan connector on your board and not a 3-pin fan connector meant for case fans. The 3rd pin is for rpm monitoring and the 4th pin is for speed control. Those are my best guesses right now. But I am currently pretty hammered so I might have better ideas tomorrow lol.

Solution

jakethesnak3

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Thank you so much! Haha, I build computers all the time but just overlooked that one. It was kind of odd because this mobo has 5 different fan headers and I SWEAR I plugged the CPU fan into the 4 pin CPU_FAN next to the CPU but come to find, thats the CHAS_FAN 4 pin! Lol, was going to check last night but figured I would ask first... my mistake haha. Anyways, thanks again.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

Lol no problem, glad it was something so simple. Weird though, I don't even remember posting this last night and my post didn't even have any horrible spelling/grammer mistakes or misplaced words haha.