Installing SSD 6 months down the line from new build

mattheuu

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
Hi guys, I am just about to build my first PC and as it stands I do not have the money to purchase a SSD for it now.

My question is, if I do go ahead and build my PC without it and then purchase one down the line in say 3 or 4 months, will it cause a large number of issues to install and run? I plan on using it for windows, apps and GW2 to save on load times.

Will i have to reinstall windows or can it just be transferred across and if i do have to reinstall windows will I lose all the data on the computer?

Apologies if this is answered in other threads but i couldn't quite work out how to express my question in a search. I don't have a full grasp of the terminology yet. If this is a repeat of another thread a link provided and then thread closed is a fine alternative :)

Thanks!

canyoudigit489

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
technically you can ghost the image of your OS and transfer it to your new SSD in the future. i'd recommend just installing a new OS on the new SSD (at least 64gb, prolly 128gb), and then transferring your files from the D: drive over to the new C. sometimes the ssds can have issues with the image transfer and i always think it's best to start new. I'd also recommend enabling ACHI mode in your BIOS for an easier transition.

something like the crucial m4 64gb version is very cheap, now ($79 on newegg):http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148441

It's a great drive for the price. the 128gb version goes for $150-160 on sale. it's a great drive, I use it currently and recently transfered my OS to the new ssd.

canyoudigit489

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
i didn't have an issue with mine, i used the same product key for the OS on the C and D drive, and i have the option to boot to either drive. the product key activated and everything. i think it can tell when you're using the same hardware for people who have to reinstall the OS because of a bad hardrive or reformat