Gtx 560 ti sli temperatures

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Cases
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
December 19, 2011 8:22:35 PM

Hello ppl!
My mobo is a MSI x58 Pro with an i7 920 clockd @ 3.6 , 9gigs ram and a coolermaster 800 pro gold.
I recently bought a couple of MSI GTX 560 ti twin frozr II.
After a unigine benchmark with everything maxed out max temp on top vga was 89 degrees C .
After an hour of bf3 on sli 64x csaa top card's max temp was 100 degrees C.
I fixed my airflow problems (i think) and added a couple of fans to the case(1x 120mm to the side blowing directly onto the vga's and 1x92mm blowing air inside the case from the front)
Got also a 120mm on top of case blowing air out and the corsairs H60 fan also blowing air out from the back of the case through a 120mm fan.
Last there is also a 80mm fan on my northbridge (was hitting 90+ before this)
Despite this i never got below 82C on unigine and i can still hit 100 on top card (not with bf3 anymore but) with furmark or msi kombustor
Bottom card never went above 80 on any situation.
And we come to this :
What would be a better cooling solution in my case? wanna drop as many degrees as possible without liquid cooling on vga's.
My mobo is very very very very bad as far as i discovered.the spacing between the 2 cards is virtually nothing ( almost touching each other )
Also my case is quite bad (chieftech aegis)
And i only have like 200-250 to spend. Any suggestions?

Thank you very much for your time

More about : gtx 560 sli temperatures

a b Î Nvidia
December 19, 2011 8:26:45 PM

There really isn't much you can do besides getting a new motherboard, my GTX 260s are also sandwiched together, and the one top reaches 90 degrees. I've tried everything. Hell I put 4 120mm fans on my side panal blowing directly onto them and it only helped a few degrees.

Its just the nature of the beast when you have the cards sandwhiched together like that, the top card is going to get bad airflow. Its poor motherboard design but as far as I've seen most of the 1366 boards are like that.

It hasn't been untill recently that they have spaced the PCI-e slots better.

Also I was looking at your board, you could use the last PCI-e slot maybe? I can't look up the manual right now for you, it might operate at x4 but if it only operates at x8 then you can use the top PCI-e slot and the bottom one, instead of the top and middle.

I would do that with my own, but my case doesn't support it.
December 19, 2011 8:34:07 PM

Helltech said:
There really isn't much you can do besides getting a new motherboard, my GTX 260s are also sandwiched together, and the one top reaches 90 degrees. I've tried everything. Hell I put 4 120mm fans on my side panal blowing directly onto them and it only helped a few degrees.

Its just the nature of the beast when you have the cards sandwhiched together like that, the top card is going to get bad airflow. Its poor motherboard design but as far as I've seen most of the 1366 boards are like that.

It hasn't been untill recently that they have spaced the PCI-e slots better.

Also I was looking at your board, you could use the last PCI-e slot maybe? I can't look up the manual right now for you, it might operate at x4 but if it only operates at x8 then you can use the top PCI-e slot and the bottom one, instead of the top and middle.

I would do that with my own, but my case doesn't support it.

Unfortunately the last slot down is a x4 pci-e :( 

Just wanna find out which is gonna drop my temps more..a mobo change or a tower chage? :sarcastic: 
Related resources
a c 225 Î Nvidia
December 19, 2011 8:39:37 PM

doomiz said:
Unfortunately the last slot down is a x4 pci-e :( 

Just wanna find out which is gonna drop my temps more..a mobo change or a tower chage? :sarcastic: 

Have you tried playing with the direction of the case fans? Sometimes having the side fans as exhausts instead of intakes works better, sometimes it doesn't.
December 19, 2011 8:48:28 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Have you tried playing with the direction of the case fans? Sometimes having the side fans as exhausts instead of intakes works better, sometimes it doesn't.

Been playin around with that the past couple of days.Will keep tryin though i think i tried all possible settings :( 
Also got a pci 1.0 x1 slot above the top vga. i wonder if there are any pci coolers that fit there?
a c 225 Î Nvidia
December 19, 2011 9:12:51 PM

There used to be single slot versions of these available.

December 19, 2011 9:16:59 PM

Mousemonkey said:
There used to be single slot versions of these available.

Thnx for the tip will take look around see what i can find :) 
a b Î Nvidia
December 20, 2011 12:44:32 AM

They have the single slot ones on ebay if that helps.
December 21, 2011 12:25:09 AM

After some research found out that a pci cooler wouldn't do much difference (no more than 5C friend has tested a situation like this before)

Still wondering what would drop more degrees new tower vs new mobo :o