marnu123

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Hi
I recently bought a new computer consisting of an i5 3550, gtx 550ti, Intel spur lake z77 and 8gb 1600mhz ram.
My father bought the PSU and I would just like to know if it is big enough.
It is a Acabel 500w.

Thanks

Solution

Is that 500 Watts continuous power or 500 Watts peak power?

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 550 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 400 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s)...

Is that 500 Watts continuous power or 500 Watts peak power?

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 550 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 400 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.

Solution

marnu123

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Thanks everybody. Its working fine. I am typing this from my new system. I just have one problem. Running win 7 pro 64x. Every now and then, this incredible screeching sound goes off. Everything pauses for a few seconds and then it works again. I have the Intel turbo boost gadget installed and after each one of this occurrences, my CPU clock speed bumps up from nothing to 3.70 ghz.

By the way, it is Acbel, sorry for the confusion

Have you checked the system event log for any error events that may have occurred during the time of the alarm and system freeze up that may give you a hint as to what is causing the problem?

Look for any Error or Warning events.

Those types of events, if they've been logged, will give you an indication of driver or hardware problems.

marnu123

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Something about an "iaStore", which is a system process according to windows, has been reported as an error 380 in the last hour and 1800 times in the past 7 days. The computer is only about 5 days old.

marnu123

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Looking at what you told me to. I do have 2 hard drives that are failing. A 1TB and a 500GB. Wouldn't that mean that the problem windows describes be the HDD's failing and not the problem I have. I think I will post a new topic in the appropriate forum column. Thanks for the help anyways.

If there's a problem with the hard disk drives you will get intermittent system freeze ups and even the screeching audio that you've described.

How did you determine that the HDDs are failing? Did you download and run the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic utility?