Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

PSU sufficient?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Computers
  • Intel i5
  • Components
Last response: in Components
Share
June 5, 2012 8:15:27 AM

Hi
I recently bought a new computer consisting of an i5 3550, gtx 550ti, Intel spur lake z77 and 8gb 1600mhz ram.
My father bought the PSU and I would just like to know if it is big enough.
It is a Acabel 500w.

Thanks

More about : psu sufficient

a c 122 ) Power supply
June 5, 2012 8:56:23 AM

Yes
m
0
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
June 5, 2012 12:24:27 PM

What is the model number? Acabel or Acbel? A 500W PSU should be electrically sufficient for a build with a single GTX 550ti; quality is a different story.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
June 5, 2012 2:27:52 PM

Acabel??
i don't know who is the OEM but 500w is enough and i hope it works well for you.
good luck bro.
m
0
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
June 5, 2012 2:32:24 PM

hellfire24 said:
Acabel??
i don't know who is the OEM but 500w is enough and i hope it works well for you.
good luck bro.

If it's Acbel, then Acbel Polytech is the OEM....they are their OEM.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
June 5, 2012 2:38:07 PM

^never heard of them in list of good power supply makers.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 1218 ) Power supply
June 5, 2012 8:43:32 PM

marnu123 said:
Hi
I recently bought a new computer consisting of an i5 3550, gtx 550ti, Intel spur lake z77 and 8gb 1600mhz ram.
My father bought the PSU and I would just like to know if it is big enough.
It is a Acabel 500w.

Thanks

Is that 500 Watts continuous power or 500 Watts peak power?

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 550 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 400 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.
Share
June 12, 2012 1:18:22 PM

Thanks everybody. Its working fine. I am typing this from my new system. I just have one problem. Running win 7 pro 64x. Every now and then, this incredible screeching sound goes off. Everything pauses for a few seconds and then it works again. I have the Intel turbo boost gadget installed and after each one of this occurrences, my CPU clock speed bumps up from nothing to 3.70 ghz.

By the way, it is Acbel, sorry for the confusion
m
0
l
a c 1218 ) Power supply
June 12, 2012 4:06:03 PM

marnu123 said:
Thanks everybody. Its working fine. I am typing this from my new system. I just have one problem. Running win 7 pro 64x. Every now and then, this incredible screeching sound goes off. Everything pauses for a few seconds and then it works again. I have the Intel turbo boost gadget installed and after each one of this occurrences, my CPU clock speed bumps up from nothing to 3.70 ghz.

By the way, it is Acbel, sorry for the confusion

Have you checked the system event log for any error events that may have occurred during the time of the alarm and system freeze up that may give you a hint as to what is causing the problem?
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 4:13:11 PM

What do I need to look for in the event log. The screeching sound only happens when I play music or watch movies. I have made a recording of the sound if that helps
m
0
l
a c 1218 ) Power supply
June 12, 2012 4:18:24 PM

marnu123 said:
What do I need to look for in the event log. The screeching sound only happens when I play music or watch movies. I have made a recording of the sound if that helps

Look for any Error or Warning events.

Those types of events, if they've been logged, will give you an indication of driver or hardware problems.
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 5:32:42 PM

Something about an "iaStore", which is a system process according to windows, has been reported as an error 380 in the last hour and 1800 times in the past 7 days. The computer is only about 5 days old.
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 5:55:42 PM

Looking at what you told me to. I do have 2 hard drives that are failing. A 1TB and a 500GB. Wouldn't that mean that the problem windows describes be the HDD's failing and not the problem I have. I think I will post a new topic in the appropriate forum column. Thanks for the help anyways.
m
0
l
a c 1218 ) Power supply
June 12, 2012 6:01:23 PM

marnu123 said:
Looking at what you told me to. I do have 2 hard drives that are failing. A 1TB and a 500GB. Wouldn't that mean that the problem windows describes be the HDD's failing and not the problem I have. I think I will post a new topic in the appropriate forum column. Thanks for the help anyways.

If there's a problem with the hard disk drives you will get intermittent system freeze ups and even the screeching audio that you've described.

How did you determine that the HDDs are failing? Did you download and run the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic utility?
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 6:24:04 PM

Intel Rapid Storage Technology program. The failing drives are just extra. My boot drive has no problems. It's brand new
m
0
l
June 22, 2012 10:40:34 AM

Best answer selected by marnu123.
m
0
l
!