Sign in with
Your question

Accidentally switched off computer during updates. Won't boot now.

Last response: in Windows 7
January 8, 2012 7:31:01 AM

Windows was installing some updates while shutting down my PC yesterday. The electricity supply got cut off for a second or two and my PC shut down during the updates installation abruptly. Booted my PC after that today morning and my computer wouldn't get past the black screen with the Windows logo on it. Can someone guide me as to how to repair the installation? I was running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1. I have the installation of Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit. I dont want to do a clean install. Just repair the Win 7 files. Startup repair couldn't fix it. And there is NO system restore point available! :fou:  Any other way possible guys??
a b $ Windows 7
January 8, 2012 8:07:49 AM

have you tried booting to safemode?
m
l
January 8, 2012 8:18:28 AM

unksol said:
have you tried booting to safemode?

couldn't boot into safe mode as well. only option available are launch startup repair and start windows normally. F8 didn't bring up anything.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 8, 2012 8:27:31 AM

boot off your windows 7 disk into repair/recovery and select command prompt.

run chkdsk /r

and sfc /scannow
m
l
January 8, 2012 8:40:12 AM

ok just tried bootrec.exe commands and rebooted. no luck

then tried bcedit command. but command prompt sayss bcedit is not recognized as an internal or external command.

tried bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd at last. It didn't even detect my Windows installation.

My friend says that my best bet would be to format and do a clean install.

EDIT: Somehow by hitting F8 in boot got the menu at last. Tried safe mode but it just wouldn't work. Now clicked safe mode with command prompt. it doesnt seem to get past loading windows files and all those drivers.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 8, 2012 8:42:15 AM

kaush666 said:
ok just tried bootrec.exe commands and rebooted. no luck

then tried bcedit command. but command prompt sayss bcedit is not recognized as an internal or external command.

tried bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd at last. It didn't even detect my Windows installation.

My friend says that my best bet would be to format and do a clean install.

Can u reset the BIOS?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 8, 2012 8:46:16 AM

did you follow all of these steps?
www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/163216-bootrec-exe-tool-h...

also there shouldn't have been anything wrong with your boot record as it was booting fine and hanging... most likely a system file or driver is corrupted and causing it to hang. hence running system file checker. also I have never seen a PC that wouldn't offer safe mode even with it hsngng on startup... you might wanna try F8 a little more... aggressively
m
l
January 8, 2012 8:52:08 AM

Ok will try resetting the BIOS now.

Also bcedit command just wouldn't be recognized. Command prompt says bcedit is not recognized as an internal or external command.

EDIT: Should i reset the bios using the button on the motherboard or is there any other way to do it ?
m
l
January 8, 2012 9:03:11 AM

Nikorr, bcdedit works now. However after following the last step as per the link given by unksol I get a line in command prompt which says

"Add installation to boot list? Yes/No/All :"

What am I supposed to do now ?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 8, 2012 9:06:36 AM

Yes.
m
l
January 8, 2012 9:11:11 AM

And it still doesn't boot up.

Clearing the CMOS didn't do it any good as well.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 8, 2012 9:17:44 AM

How old is your PC?

Try to replace the CMOS battery. It could be the reason.
m
l
January 8, 2012 9:23:53 AM

PC is 3 years old. CMOS battery was replaced a couple of years ago when my hard disk had conked off.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 8, 2012 9:24:45 AM

have you run the system file checker and chkdisk? I have seen this happen before with corrupted files. it also does it if your in raid mode and windows can't find the raid driver.

I am honestly curious as to this obcession with the BIOS. its not having any problems there and its getting to the windows load screen. so its really a windows problem. there's really no need to even be messing with the BIOS that I can think of. enlighten me?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 8, 2012 9:25:09 AM

I still would try it to replace.
m
l
January 8, 2012 10:40:38 AM

Nothing seemed to work. Went ahead and did a clean install.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 8, 2012 10:42:38 AM

kaush666 said:
Nothing seemed to work. Went ahead and did a clean install.

I prefer a clean install too, good luck!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 8, 2012 10:43:31 AM

Make a back up! : )
m
l
!