Sign in with
Your question

Corsair PSUs and ASUS motherboards

Last response: in Systems
February 18, 2012 11:48:55 AM

I have serious PSU/MB compatibility issues.

The first PSU that I bought was a Corsair CX600, but I had exactly the same problems that I encountered on the Corsair GS500 that I am going to explain on this text. As I tought that the CX600 was a faulty PSU, I returned it and traded it for the GS500. But the problems are exactly the same.

I installed the GS500 on my custom made computer, and it doesn't work properly. The voltage readings on the +3.3v are correct on the UEFI of my motherboard ( ASUS P8H67-V ), but when I logon to Windows 7 (64bit) the voltage readings on the Asus AI Suite II are something like 2.9/2.8 volt.

These readings trigger Asus AI SUITE II warnings and Asus ANTI-SURGE protection, which makes my PC turn off by itself to allegedly protect itself from an "unstable PSU" (that's the message I get when the computer starts back on).
What I did was to turn off ANTI-SURGE protection, but more problems appeared.

When I shutdown the computer, after approximadetly 3/4 seconds the computer turns itself back on. Moreover even with the ASUS anti-surge protection off the computer still randomly crashes when I log on to Windows.
This is all very strange, and both of the PSUs mentioned earlier are brand new. As I think it is highly unlikely that both PSUs are faulty, there must be some kind of compatibility issue with the motherboard, or the motherboard settings.

I have already tried to:
-reinstall windows;
-update my BIOS;
-using different RAM memory;
-set the motherboard settings to default;
-clear the CMOS;
-underclock my CPU;
-used three different types of low-end PSUs (all worked without problems);
-used Corsair CX600 (as I mentioned earlier: exactly the same issues)

My computer specifications are:
- Intel Celeron G530 (lga1155 sandy-bridge);
- Kingston 2x2 GB DDR3 1333mhz;
- Fujitsu 2.5" 5400r.p.m. SATA I HDD;
- Integrated P8H67-V VGA graphics;

These problems don't happen with my low end PSU. Is it a compatibility problem? Or are my BIOS settings wrong ? Corsair and Asus are probably the most reliable brands avaiable on market, so there has to be some solution to this problem.

Does anybody have a Corsair PSU and a ASUS Motherboard? Had any problems?

Thank you all in advance!
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 107 V Motherboard
February 18, 2012 12:22:58 PM

GS and CX are low end power supplies from Corsair. Buy or change with Corsair TX series,Seasonic , Antec ,XFX.
February 18, 2012 7:00:27 PM

Low end? The computer is currently running on a 10 euros ( ~~12 dollars / ~~ 8 pounds ) PSU without a single problem : that's a low end PSU ! If you're saying that CX and GS series are the low end series of Corsair, yes that's true but they're still excelent PSUs.

Anyways low end or not they have to do their job, which is not happening :( 
Related resources
February 18, 2012 7:07:21 PM

I would also reccomend you get a TX series too. I have a Corsair TX and a ASUS 68p-v and have no problems whatsoever.
February 18, 2012 7:15:12 PM

Neal0790 : do you have Asus AI SUITE II installed on your PC ?
February 18, 2012 7:23:48 PM

Yeah
February 18, 2012 8:39:43 PM

Very odd problem indeed. I have no suggestions for you other than to write ASUS customer support. I wrote them a few days ago about a cold boot issue I was having and within 12 hours I got a response that fixed me right up.

September 27, 2012 10:04:05 PM

You`re not alone. I`ve just got a Asus p8Z77-I Deluxe, 8GB vengeance, i7 3570K and this GS500 all in a Bitfenix Prodigy. I`ve tried for the last 4 hours to install windows 7 on an M4 256GB and everytime as it`s about to launch into windows it shuts down. When it restarts, the post screen talks of PSU surge protection.
!