Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PlayStation 3D Display PC Compatiblity

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 20, 2011 1:32:59 AM

Hello,
I am interested in buying a Sony PlayStation 3D display for use as a computer monitor and was wondering if it would be able to run games in 3d from my PC? I have a AMD HD Radeon 6950 as my GPU.
December 24, 2011 5:38:04 PM

Del129 said:
Hello,
I am interested in buying a Sony PlayStation 3D display for use as a computer monitor and was wondering if it would be able to run games in 3d from my PC? I have a AMD HD Radeon 6950 as my GPU.


Playstation 3D Tv:
Quote:
I bought one of these displays and love it! I ran my ATI Radeon HD 5770 with TRi-D and got World of Warcraft and Skyrim running in 3D.
The Sony glasses work with that middleware. I will buy a Radeon 6950 to make the framerate bearable, but still…a $500 3D package that does movies, PS3 and PC games? Worth it!

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2011/11/16/playstation...


It isn't listed on AMD's site as supported but but that could mean it does work but they haven't tested it yet.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-hd3d/pa...
m
0
l
Related resources
December 24, 2011 8:09:12 PM

It looks like Skyrim may not be very 3D compatible. People in the nVidia forums are complaining about it and Todd Howard said he wasn't making it for 3D.

I expect you'll have the same results as the nVidia users.

There are some reviews of the tv for pc at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/PC-3D-compatibility/forum/FxDAW09...

I'm waiting for 3d goggles with high res screens in them to go mainstream. Sony is going in the right direction with these: http://dvice.com/archives/2011/08/sonys-oled-vr-g-1.php but 720p is too low of a res for me. One company makes the 1080p ones but they sell them for $14,000 each. I hope something good comes out because I love 3D but the current tech is nauseating and flickery and too hard my eye head.
m
0
l
December 24, 2011 8:29:35 PM

woshitudou, have you looked into passive 3D? There's no flickering at all. I recently bought an LG 3D TV, they use passive 3D. Check one out next time your at a best buy.
m
0
l
December 24, 2011 9:14:44 PM

trogdor796 said:
woshitudou, have you looked into passive 3D? There's no flickering at all. I recently bought an LG 3D TV, they use passive 3D. Check one out next time your at a best buy.


Hi trogdor. Thanks for the recommendation but active, passive and polarized 3D don't do it to me. I speculate photons directly targeting my eye balls retinas or glasses with separate screens will do it, or if they manage to create a single screen solution that is clear and invisible to my f-f-f-foveas then I'd jump on it balls first. It saddens me because I really want gaming 3D a lot and I'm willing to give my money to someone for it, but not too much money because I don't want it that much.
m
0
l
August 30, 2012 3:08:21 AM

i just got one of these ps3 3d monitors at best buy for $159.99

its not a great monitor text is a little blurry or jagged kind of like any lcd tv.

but 3d games are great if you use any type of frame packing 3d setup like, amd hd3d or direct 3d stereo 3d @ 120hz.
im using the tridef drivers. It's working spot on. Just make sure you use an HDMI cable, DVI to HDMI will not work.
m
0
l
August 30, 2012 3:13:36 AM

woshitudou said:
It looks like Skyrim may not be very 3D compatible. People in the nVidia forums are complaining about it and Todd Howard said he wasn't making it for 3D.

I expect you'll have the same results as the nVidia users.

There are some reviews of the tv for pc at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/PC-3D-compatibility/forum/FxDAW09...

I'm waiting for 3d goggles with high res screens in them to go mainstream. Sony is going in the right direction with these: http://dvice.com/archives/2011/08/sonys-oled-vr-g-1.php but 720p is too low of a res for me. One company makes the 1080p ones but they sell them for $14,000 each. I hope something good comes out because I love 3D but the current tech is nauseating and flickery and too hard my eye head.

Out of the box, Skyrim looks really good in 3D Vision, except where there is water, and when they updated to v1.4, the shadows got all messed up. However, there is a modder who has fixed a lot of games, including Skyrim.

http://helixmod.wikispot.org/gamelist

There are a lot of game fixes for 3D, and with it, Skyrim runs awesome. Though, even with the fix, there are occasional spots that the shadows and or water get messed up, but the vast majority of the game is fixed with it.

The biggest problem you'll notice with the set is that 3D will be limited to 720p.
m
0
l
August 30, 2012 3:16:55 AM

woshitudou said:
It looks like Skyrim may not be very 3D compatible. People in the nVidia forums are complaining about it and Todd Howard said he wasn't making it for 3D.

I expect you'll have the same results as the nVidia users.

There are some reviews of the tv for pc at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/PC-3D-compatibility/forum/FxDAW09...

I'm waiting for 3d goggles with high res screens in them to go mainstream. Sony is going in the right direction with these: http://dvice.com/archives/2011/08/sonys-oled-vr-g-1.php but 720p is too low of a res for me. One company makes the 1080p ones but they sell them for $14,000 each. I hope something good comes out because I love 3D but the current tech is nauseating and flickery and too hard my eye head.


It is possible the biggest issue you are having is due to low FPS. Consoles will run them at 30 FPS, and often times in PCs, people don't realize they lose half their FPS in performance, and play at low FPS. It's possible you have not experienced it at 60FPS/hz. I too get headaches and nausea with 3D Vision, if my FPS are low. At 60 FPS, I just get the normal nausea I get even without 3D Vision. I have to be at 80+ FPS to not get any nausea, but at 60 FPS, I do last a while before it's a problem.
m
0
l
!