Quad band

Last response: in Technologies
Share
April 12, 2005 1:53:54 AM

Hi Everyone,

Please forgive me if this is too rudimentary a question:

Is every phone that is advertised as a "quad band" phone truly capable of
850, 900, 1800 and 1900 MHz ?

I would like to get my dad a phone, but I don't know a thing about GSM.
The added twist is that he is Africa a lot. I hear the frequencies used
there are 900 and 1800 Mhz, but I'd like the phone to work both there and
here.

It doesn't have to have a camera or calculator or alarm or any of that
fancy stuff.

If anyone can point me to a location where I can see phones that fit this
bill, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Dean.

More about : quad band

April 12, 2005 2:22:43 AM

Hi Deepa,

Thanks for the link. It tells me who the carriers are...and what
frequencies, but I was more interested in the phone.

Any other takers?

Dean.

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 19:05:59, EventHelix.com wrote:
> Checkout the following link, for roaming information:
>
> http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/index.shtml
>
> Deepa
April 12, 2005 2:51:20 AM

In article <pan.2005.04.12.01.53.53.51200@nospam.yahoo.com>,
Dean <dean119@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Please forgive me if this is too rudimentary a question:
>
> Is every phone that is advertised as a "quad band" phone truly capable of
> 850, 900, 1800 and 1900 MHz ?
>
> I would like to get my dad a phone, but I don't know a thing about GSM.
> The added twist is that he is Africa a lot. I hear the frequencies used
> there are 900 and 1800 Mhz, but I'd like the phone to work both there and
> here.
>
> It doesn't have to have a camera or calculator or alarm or any of that
> fancy stuff.
>
> If anyone can point me to a location where I can see phones that fit this
> bill, I'd greatly appreciate it.
>
> Thanks.
>

> Dean.

GSM phones that are quad band are 900/1800 (almost everywhere in the
world) and 850/1900 (North America).

Just make sure it's unlocked so you can use other SIM cards with it.
April 12, 2005 10:53:13 AM

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:53:54 -0400, Dean <dean119@nospam.yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Hi Everyone,
>
>Please forgive me if this is too rudimentary a question:
>
>Is every phone that is advertised as a "quad band" phone truly capable of
>850, 900, 1800 and 1900 MHz ?
>
>I would like to get my dad a phone, but I don't know a thing about GSM.
>The added twist is that he is Africa a lot. I hear the frequencies used
>there are 900 and 1800 Mhz, but I'd like the phone to work both there and
>here.
>
>It doesn't have to have a camera or calculator or alarm or any of that
>fancy stuff.
>
>If anyone can point me to a location where I can see phones that fit this
>bill, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Go to http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/finder.php and in the things
you specify choose GSM 850 and also choose world roaming.
April 14, 2005 2:50:44 AM

NEC 515 is a quad band phone. You need to buy it unlocked, or if locked, to
send to an unlocker service

"Dean" <dean119@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.04.12.01.53.53.51200@nospam.yahoo.com...
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Please forgive me if this is too rudimentary a question:
>
> Is every phone that is advertised as a "quad band" phone truly capable of
> 850, 900, 1800 and 1900 MHz ?
>
> I would like to get my dad a phone, but I don't know a thing about GSM.
> The added twist is that he is Africa a lot. I hear the frequencies used
> there are 900 and 1800 Mhz, but I'd like the phone to work both there and
> here.
>
> It doesn't have to have a camera or calculator or alarm or any of that
> fancy stuff.
>
> If anyone can point me to a location where I can see phones that fit this
> bill, I'd greatly appreciate it.
>
> Thanks.
>

> Dean.
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 10:17:39 PM

Thanks Everyone for your input.

A buddy is selling me his Sony Erocsson t610 for 30 bucks--since T-Mobile
would not unlock it, I'm buying an unlock cable for about 20 bucks...so if
that all works out, I should be all set for myself.

As a present for my dad, I'm thinking of the following phones:

First choice: Motorola RAZR V3
Next choice: Treo 600
Next choice: Nokia 6170
Cheap Spare: Motorola V60I

Anyone had any bad experiences with any of these? I;ve read some reviews,
but I'd prefer to go on more than just those.

Thanks.

Dean.

Dean wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> Please forgive me if this is too rudimentary a question:
>>
>> Is every phone that is advertised as a "quad band" phone truly
>> capable of 850, 900, 1800 and 1900 MHz ?
>>
>> I would like to get my dad a phone, but I don't know a thing about
>> GSM. The added twist is that he is Africa a lot. I hear the
>> frequencies used there are 900 and 1800 Mhz, but I'd like the phone
>> to work both there and here.
>>
>> It doesn't have to have a camera or calculator or alarm or any of
>> that fancy stuff.
>>
>> If anyone can point me to a location where I can see phones that fit
>> this bill, I'd greatly appreciate it.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>> Dean.
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 5:49:28 AM

Deanjay wrote:
> Thanks Everyone for your input.
>
> A buddy is selling me his Sony Erocsson t610 for 30 bucks--since
T-Mobile
> would not unlock it, I'm buying an unlock cable for about 20
bucks...so if
> that all works out, I should be all set for myself.
>
> As a present for my dad, I'm thinking of the following phones:
>
> First choice: Motorola RAZR V3
> Next choice: Treo 600
> Next choice: Nokia 6170
> Cheap Spare: Motorola V60I

I've had good luck with the Motorola V551
It is Quad band.. I got ti for my "infrequent" trips to Europe
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 9:16:42 AM

My recommendation would be to stay away from Motorola, particularly the
razr. Purchase a samsung, ericsson, lg, or preferably a Nokia. These are
our prominent phones when tested. Are you able to purchase a GAIT phone
(tdma and gsm)? That would be the ultimate. The 6340 Nokia is a good
choice.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 3:06:56 AM

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the advice. Why such low scores for Motorolas? Please provide
some more information on this as I was just about to dole out 400 bucks on a
Razr V3.

A lot of the reviews I read had all good things to say about them, but who
knows, maybe they were all written by Moto' employees...

Holler back.

Dean.

"beth via CellPhoneKB.com" <forum@CellPhoneKB.com> wrote:
: My recommendation would be to stay away from Motorola, particularly the
: razr. Purchase a samsung, ericsson, lg, or preferably a Nokia. These are
: our prominent phones when tested. Are you able to purchase a GAIT phone
: (tdma and gsm)? That would be the ultimate. The 6340 Nokia is a good
: choice.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 3:23:03 AM

Hi Beth,

I just looked at the specs for these phones [both the 6340 and the 6340i]
and neither of them will work for my situation because the network I need it
for runs 900MHz and 1800Mhz GSM. More suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Dean.

beth via CellPhoneKB.com wrote:
>> My recommendation would be to stay away from Motorola, particularly
>> the razr. Purchase a samsung, ericsson, lg, or preferably a Nokia.
>> These are our prominent phones when tested. Are you able to purchase
>> a GAIT phone (tdma and gsm)? That would be the ultimate. The 6340
>> Nokia is a good choice.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 7:42:46 AM

Hmm I wasn't sure about what bands. Well if you narrow down some Nokia's
ask and if I've had any experience with them I'll let you know.

We have very expensive testing equipment that tests the phones themselves,
not our network, and there is a very large discrepency with Motorola's
which I can't talk about, other than that I do not recommend them to anyone
I love or care about or know or don't know or well, you get the point.
It's too bad because they have good design ideas and features and are user
friendly, but it doesn't seem they care about performance and sneak by with
customer's assuming it's their provider.

Maybe they should focus all of their efforts on their radios, which is
their forte.

If you love dad, stay away from Moto, and also ask (if you know) the
provider what phone they recommend (not a sales rep, ask to talk to an rf
tech)... each phone will work differently depending on who they use for
switching equipment.