Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Random computer freezes

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 18, 2012 3:16:50 PM

Hello, I just recently built a new PC and just randomly I started getting short freezes. Ill be browsing a website or just on my desktop and all of the sudden my mouse and keyboard stop working. If i have music playing it continues but everything else is frozen. It only lasts a couple seconds but its really annoying. happened twice while I was typing this out.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2012 3:23:28 PM

Insanekill said:
Hello, I just recently built a new PC and just randomly I started getting short freezes. Ill be browsing a website or just on my desktop and all of the sudden my mouse and keyboard stop working. If i have music playing it continues but everything else is frozen. It only lasts a couple seconds but its really annoying. happened twice while I was typing this out.


So it pauses for a period of time and then continues. When someone uses the term "freeze" it usually means the system stops and needs to be rebooted. Please provide the specs of the components. Off the top of my head it sounds like the system is either caching info or grabbing info from the Hdd. That would make me wonder whether you have enough ram or have a slow Hdd or don't have the cache settings right. It could also be antivirus or antimalware software checking a page
m
0
l
February 18, 2012 3:29:10 PM

Sorry yes it pauses then, doesn't freeze.

PC specs

CPU: Intel i7 2600k unlocked

MB: Asus P8Z68-V Gen3/pro

SSD: 64 Crucial SATA 3(Only have OS and Antivirus installed on this)

HDD: 250 GB Seagate(games and all other stuff installed here)

Videocard: eVGA GTX 560 Ti 1GB

Ram: 8gb Gskill Ripjaws 1600mhz

PSU: 850w OCZ 80+ gold certified

And if this matters the only antivirus software im running is Avast (free edition) and Malware bites. if you need more info let me know
m
0
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2012 3:38:01 PM

Insanekill said:
Sorry yes it pauses then, doesn't freeze.

PC specs

CPU: Intel i7 2600k unlocked

MB: Asus P8Z68-V Gen3/pro

SSD: 64 Crucial SATA 3(Only have OS and Antivirus installed on this)
What is the bios setting? ACHI?

HDD: 250 GB Seagate(games and all other stuff installed here)
7200 rpm and Sata 1/II/III? Do you keep it defragged?

Videocard: eVGA GTX 560 Ti 1GB

Ram: 8gb Gskill Ripjaws 1600mhz
Does bios recognize the ram at 1600?

PSU: 850w OCZ 80+ gold certified

And if this matters the only antivirus software im running is Avast (free edition) and Malware bites. if you need more info let me know


What type of internet connection do you have and what is your link to the router (wired or wireless and G or n?) Do you run any sort of software to monitor the internet connection? I know that I';ve sometimes thought it was my computer but it was either the connection to the router (usually wireless) or my ISP was having issues. For instance you can use the free version of PingPlotter to trace your connection and monitor the speeds to see if that's an issue.
m
0
l
February 18, 2012 3:46:30 PM

Yes AHCI, Not sure on the HDD specs I would say its probably SATA 2. It's from my old setup I defragged it a week ago. Yes the BIOS does recognize the ram at 1600. Not sure on the type of internet connection i have, I know its high speed. My pc is connected directly to my router(Linksys WRTGSv4). I don't run any software to monitor the connection. Also this just started happening recently, my pc has been working fine before. On a side not after a pause my mouse pointer is stuck as whatever it was when the pause started, like its not the regular pointer if that makes any sense.
m
0
l
February 18, 2012 4:13:39 PM

Sorry for the double post. I restarted my PC and it's fine now. Which confuses me even more. Could something be over heating?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2012 4:15:14 PM

Insanekill said:
Sorry for the double post. I restarted my PC and it's fine now. Which confuses me even more. Could something be over heating?


Sometimes memory isn't released. What are you running for a browser? by any chance is it FF?
m
0
l
February 18, 2012 4:19:38 PM

Yes I'm using firefox, with adblocker and the popupblocker addons.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2012 4:22:23 PM

Insanekill said:
Yes I'm using firefox, with adblocker and the popupblocker addons.


How did I know that? <grin> For some reason FF has occasional pauses. Try Chrome and see if the issue continues (it doesn't for me). the issue appears to be FF.
m
0
l
February 18, 2012 4:31:21 PM

Alright ill try that and let you know what happens.
m
0
l
!