Sign in with
Your question

New PC to run SWTOR/BF3 and Photoshop

Last response: in Systems
February 18, 2012 3:21:04 PM

Hello community. First time writer, long time reader.

Im a designer and need a computer for my editing software (I.e. Photoshop, etc.) but im also new to PC gamer and want to run games like Battlefield 3, Skyrim, and Star Wars: The Old Republic. I feel like everything I got was good and before it comes in I'd like a bit of validation. Here's what I bought:

-Z68 SATA 6 Motherboard
-Intel i5 2500k 3.3GHz Processor
-PNY 8GB RAM
-1TB Harddrive
-Radeon HD 6950 Video Card

Like I said, I think im good but my knowledge of custom PC's, especially video cardsis a bit limited. Is my video card and processor good enough? That's my biggest concern.

Please and thank you!
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2012 3:25:08 PM

AlwaysColTRON said:
Hello community. First time writer, long time reader.

Im a designer and need a computer for my editing software (I.e. Photoshop, etc.) but im also new to PC gamer and want to run games like Battlefield 3, Skyrim, and Star Wars: The Old Republic. I feel like everything I got was good and before it comes in I'd like a bit of validation. Here's what I bought:

-Z68 SATA 6 Motherboard
-Intel i5 2500k 3.3GHz Processor
-PNY 8GB RAM
-1TB Harddrive
-Radeon HD 6950 Video Card

Like I said, I think im good but my knowledge of custom PC's, especially video cardsis a bit limited. Is my video card and processor good enough? That's my biggest concern.

Please and thank you!

Should be fine. The 6950 is on the upper end atm.
m
l
February 18, 2012 3:36:56 PM

Is PS CPU intensive or GPU? Think its GPU, in that case, id go with a 7950+ or nvidia 570+ (altho new GPUs are right around the corner.) 6950 is a great vid card as far as bang for the buck goes, some of the 2gb versions unlock to 6970 shaders and clock speeds, not all, but some. If its CPU intensive, you need to go with the i7-2700k for its hyperthreading capabilites.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2012 3:51:24 PM

PS is CPU and RAM intensive. It doesn't really use the GPU except for a few features.
m
l
February 18, 2012 3:58:40 PM

I highly recommend adding a SSD as your boot/application drive. Photoshop will load noticably faster. You don't need a huge SSD, a 60 GB is enough for Windows 7 and your most frequently used apps.
m
l
!