Should I wait for the 7xxx series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freshbuilder

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
My question is simple enough. Its my first time to make my own build and decided to go with either a 6950 or 6970. Then I read from somewhere, here being one of those places, that a new HD7xxx series will be released soon. So I was wondering if this would reduce the price of the previous generation of graphics cards, because if it will then I'll just wait till January till the prices go down.

Solution
depends on factors like your current specs, your budget, future plans.
first off, the new 7xxx cards haven't been released yet, so most of the available info are based on leaks and rumors. amd's rumored to debut them on dec 22 and then launch them on january through march/april. they're also rumored to be pcie pcie 3 cards with possible backwards compatibility with pcie 2.0/2.1.
if you have a high end card, getting the new cards might seem like sidegrade. if you don't have hardware to support the new cards, going for a higher end current gen card might seem like a better idea. if you have a lower end card but can hold out till the new cards get released, tested, worked out, then getting the newer card will seem like a better idea.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Never wait in the hardware and tech world.
Get what will satisfy you that is available ATM.
An HD 6950/70 is a great card, so there's nothing wrong with getting one.
The prices of the HD 7XXX series are probably going to be fairly high @ launch because Nvidia will probably release their competing cards after AMD.
Price cuts may be unlikely or fairly small.
Go for the HD 6950/70.

depends on factors like your current specs, your budget, future plans.
first off, the new 7xxx cards haven't been released yet, so most of the available info are based on leaks and rumors. amd's rumored to debut them on dec 22 and then launch them on january through march/april. they're also rumored to be pcie pcie 3 cards with possible backwards compatibility with pcie 2.0/2.1.
if you have a high end card, getting the new cards might seem like sidegrade. if you don't have hardware to support the new cards, going for a higher end current gen card might seem like a better idea. if you have a lower end card but can hold out till the new cards get released, tested, worked out, then getting the newer card will seem like a better idea.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.