Issue with my cpu cooler (hyper 212 + 15 2500k)

neal0790

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Turned my computer on this morning and my bios alerted me saying there was a problem with my cpu fan. So i looked through my window saw it was spinning and went into the bios. The CPU Fan bar was red (ASUS mobo) and the fan was spinning at 500rpm. I shut the computer down flicked the switch on the power supply and unplugged it it from the wall. Unpluged the cpu fan for a few seconds and plugged it back in. Turned the computer back on and checked the bios and saw the fan was spinning at 650 rpm. Didnt get the cpu fan alert again. Got the computer running now for a bit to see if the problem happens again but it has gotten me a little concerned though about the fan and temp now. I have the i5 2500k cpu and have not overclocked it yet. Dont plan to untill i picked up a seconds graphics card for sli, plus i need to read more about doing it. My cpu temp just idleing right now after about 15 minutes is 25c with the fan running at about 680rpm.

I have a hardware monitor i downloaded to run in the back round that tells me the high/low/average temps of everything in the computer while i game. Can someone give me an idea of what i should be getting for temps idleing and underload? Just so when i check i have a better idea of what i should be getting and if i should be concerned? The CPU cooler is only about 2 weeks old so it seems odd it would screw up like that. Thanks

Im going to go play some battlefield 3 for a bit and ill post again on what my high temps are.

neal0790

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

Alright Thanks, Just played about 20 minutes of BF3 will everything on max and CPUID HW Monitor is telling me my max's are:

core 0 - 47c
core 1 - 50c
core 2 - 49c
core 3 - 48c

Im guessing those temps are fine, considering my gtx 580 hits about 70c under load. Just kind of wondering the temp that i should be worrying about. Just incase my fan decides to crap out in the middle of a game and i dont find out till after.

QuietPC

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

Can you set temp warning in Bios and on your monitoring software? If so then you don't need to worry because one or both will tell you.

neal0790

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
as far as i know the hardware monitor i cant. But probably can in the bios is i figure it out. ASUS bios is nice for doing basic things but it kind of makes it a hassle to figure out advance settings.

QuietPC

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

Do some online research on max temp in centirgrade. I think you will find that no one wants to go above 75-80. Check that to confirm. Take what you are comfortable with and then set the warnings and keep an eye on that number.