Sign in with
Your question

New 3930K LGA 2011 build

Last response: in Systems
February 18, 2012 4:53:34 PM

dear hardware gods,

I'm new here and not much of a hardware person so go easy. Built my last rig about 8 years ago and it's time for a new build. I will be using it for the following

- Amateur DAW (primarily Ableton Live)
- Fairly hardcore .NET development (SQL Server, ASP.NET, n-tier multithreaded systems).
- VPN to my work system, which is a 3 monitor setup

I don't do any gaming, won't be using this in my home theater setup, and have no 3D rendering needs. I really just want to run at least 3 monitors. The rest is admittedly overkill but I'm not really constrained by budget and want a rig that will be sufficient for another 8 years or so.

I have never overclocked before, but since the 3930K seems to beg for it (and yes, I do have one in hand--it's the only thing I bought so far), I may play with the "OC for dummies" auto setting on the Asus

I also want as silent a system as I can put together while still providing sufficient cooling

Here's what I've spec'ed. Do you see any problems with this setup?

Intel Core i7 3930K C2
Asus P9X79 Deluxe
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL 32GB (4x8GB) 1600 DDR3 SDRAM
1 Intel 520 60GB Sata III system drive SSD
2 Intel 520 240GB Sata III app drive SSD's in Raid 0 (plan to use the mobo's controller)
ATI 100-505610 FirePro 2460 512MB PCIe x16 video card
Noctua NH-D14 Cooler
Coolermaster Silent Gold 850W Power Supply
Antec P183 Case
Windows 7 x64

I have an old external Edirol UA-101 USB 2.0 pro sound card that i will probably continue using for my audio needs for now.
I also have two external USB 2.0 powered MIDI devices (a keyboard & midi controller), although I have had a hard time finding specs on the power they consume
have 2 dvi monitors, will get another later

questions i have
1) will the memory fit underneath the Noctua? I was also looking at a Corsair Vengeance 4x8 kit with similar specs, but people seem to say the heat spreader is too high. The ripjaws are low profile enough to fit, right? I'm opting for the Noctua rather than the Corsair H100 because of the noise factor.
2) if i OC using the auto overclock setting (at i guess 4.2GHz), any idea how much power that will draw? I believe a non OC chip will draw around 250W, while an extremely OC'd one can draw about 4-500. That plus the 250 or so that I believe the Mobo draws makes me think I might need 850W. Like I said I'm not sure how much power those two MIDI devices draw so I just wanted to be safe. From what I can tell I guess the video card, SSD's and cooler put together probably don't draw much north of 30W
3) I'm going for the Intel SSD's despite their being very bleeding edge because of all these BSOD problems I've been hearing about with the other sandforce 2281 drives, although early reports seem to indicate even the Intel can be problematic. I wasn't entirely clear if that sandforce firmware 3.3.2 update definitively fixed the BSOD problems, or I might otherwise consider the corsair force 3 because of the price, but I think i'm just going to spring for the intel for the peace of mind that goes with that 5 year warranty and their reputation. thoughts?
4) any insight on that ATI card vs. the Nvidia NVS 450? I'm choosing the former because of price, I don't see much other advantage to springing for the Nvidia. The two monitors I currently have only have DVI inputs anyway, and I guess I need the display port to DVI adaptor if i go with the nvidia, which i'd rather avoid.

Thanks for your help

More about : 3930k lga 2011 build

a b B Homebuilt system
February 19, 2012 2:55:56 AM

1) cooler is fine, just use low/normal profile ram like CMX3 or Sniper ram

2) look at the recent effeciancy article on Tom's for rough idea on power draw for the CPU

3) If you plan on it running 8 years then spring for the Intel drives, but realize you will likely have to replace them after 6 years if you are a heavy writer. Also, use a single drive for the OS and programs, and then get 2 smaller drives to use for your rendering/work. OS and programs do not write much to the drives, so that drive should not wear out very quickly, while your project drive will constantly be written/rewritten to which will wear out the drive. If you want to save money then buy some cheaper drives for the media drives and just expect to burn through them and replace them in 3 years with whatever is new/better at that time. Also consider moving all major writing activities (internet cache, downloads, temp folders, etc) to the working drive in order to further take read/writes off of the system drive.

4) While they have 3 connectors those GPUs will only do 2 monitors each. Only high end cards like the GTX580/590 and AMD equivalents will allow for 3 monitors on a single card. Not a real problem, just know that you will need 2 GPUs with 2 monitors on one, and 1 on the other. You do not need to match the GPUs as they will not be teathered using any kind of SLi or xFire, they will operate like normal cards. Just be sure that you have enough PSU wattage to drive 2 of whatever you are getting. Also, be aware of the software you are using; there is a chance that some of it may take advantage of CUDA, and if it does then stick with nVidia, otherwise I would likely go with AMD.

lastly, man, talk about overkill lol. An i3 with a single SSD would cover most of your needs. It would be a shame to not push this kind of setup with video editing or 3D modeling, but if you have money to burn why not?
m
l
February 20, 2012 5:25:35 AM

your build of
Intel Core i7 3930K C2
Asus P9X79 Deluxe
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL 32GB (4x8GB) 1600 DDR3 SDRAM
2 Intel 520 240GB Sata III app drive SSD's in Raid 0 (plan to use the mobo's controller)
ATI 100-505610 FirePro 2460 512MB PCIe x16 video card
Noctua NH-D14 Cooler
Coolermaster Silent Gold 850W Power Supply
Antec P183 Case
Windows 7 x64

For the ATI card compared to a Quadro NVS 450 to ATI FirePro 2460 card is the same thing just has a higher version of OpenGL as ATI FirePro 2460 has OpenGL 4.1 but nVidia Quadro NVS 250 has OpenGL 3.0. ATI FirePro 2460 has DirectX 11 while nVidia Quadro NVS 450 has DirectX 10. Both ATI FirePro 2460 and nVidia NVS 450 have a Maximum Display resolution of 2560x1600. ATI FirePro 2460 takes <20Watts to run while nVidia NVS 450 takes 35Watts to run. On newegg.com the ATI FirePro 2460 is $234.99 while the Quadro NVS 450 is $419.99 or $499.99 so the ATI FirePro is cheaper. Both cards have a 128-bit memory interface and both are 4 display ports.
But with that the ATI FirePro2460 card which i am seeing on newegg.com claims it is only OpenGL 2.1 while the rest is the same instead of the spec sheet which i found on a amd.com page saying it is OpenGL4.1 and all the stats which i said for the ATI FirePro 2460 are from the spec sheet on http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/AMD-FirePro-Catalogue.p... so i might be looking at a different cycle part of it as it looks like they already went through a numbering cycle from the FirePro series but it might be the spec sheet and the card on newegg.com are not the same either. Also for the specs for the Quadro NVS 450 i got them from http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_quadro_nvs_450_us.... the nVidia site for the card but they line up with the specs of the cards on newegg.com .

you RAM choice what in the world actually needs 32GB of RAM as i think that is just a waste of cash to get that excessive amount of RAM but you might have a need for that much RAM idk and its not my build. Make sure your drivers for the midi devices work in a Windows 7 x64 enviroment and i would recommend Windows 7 Ultimate x64 because of what they just turn off in the other versions of Windows 7 and you might need some of them.
for the power supply i would recommend a ENERMIAX Platimax 850W 80 PLUS PLATINUM. I mainly recommend that one because ENERMAX is also a known name in power supplies and 80 PLUS PLATINUM is built to run more efficiently then 80 PLUS GOLD is so because you are planning on keeping it for 8 years the difference in cost will be made up in the lower electricity bills for you.

you left out a monitor, keyboard, and mouse so i suggest any 3 dual link DVI LCD 19+ inch monitors of whatever brand you prefer and a Microsoft keyboard and mouse as they seem to last a long time though not as sensitive as other brands and types they last longer.
m
l
Related resources
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
February 21, 2012 3:52:41 PM

Quote:
1) will the memory fit underneath the Noctua? I was also looking at a Corsair Vengeance 4x8 kit with similar specs, but people seem to say the heat spreader is too high. The ripjaws are low profile enough to fit, right? I'm opting for the Noctua rather than the Corsair H100 because of the noise factor.

It should but I wouldn't take any chances. Maybe try something like one of these just to be on the safe side:
- G.Skill Ares: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- Mushkin Enhanced Silverline: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Quote:
2) if i OC using the auto overclock setting (at i guess 4.2GHz), any idea how much power that will draw? I believe a non OC chip will draw around 250W, while an extremely OC'd one can draw about 4-500. That plus the 250 or so that I believe the Mobo draws makes me think I might need 850W. Like I said I'm not sure how much power those two MIDI devices draw so I just wanted to be safe. From what I can tell I guess the video card, SSD's and cooler put together probably don't draw much north of 30W

I'm not sure how OC'ing will work on SB-E, I've never built a system with X79 (yet) but 850 will definitely be plenty. You can calculate your needed wattage here: http://support.asus.com/PowerSupplyCalculator/PSCalcula...

Whatever the minimum wattage it comes out to be, add 50W for overclocking, add 100W if you plan to SLI.

Quote:
3) I'm going for the Intel SSD's despite their being very bleeding edge because of all these BSOD problems I've been hearing about with the other sandforce 2281 drives, although early reports seem to indicate even the Intel can be problematic. I wasn't entirely clear if that sandforce firmware 3.3.2 update definitively fixed the BSOD problems, or I might otherwise consider the corsair force 3 because of the price, but I think i'm just going to spring for the intel for the peace of mind that goes with that 5 year warranty and their reputation. thoughts?

I use an Intel SSD and they've been great since the firmware was cleaned up. I did get a lot of the BSOD problems you're talking about but I'd say say you'd be wise to look at the Crucial M4 - I use that same drive and have not had a single issue with it.

Quote:
4) any insight on that ATI card vs. the Nvidia NVS 450? I'm choosing the former because of price, I don't see much other advantage to springing for the Nvidia. The two monitors I currently have only have DVI inputs anyway, and I guess I need the display port to DVI adaptor if i go with the nvidia, which i'd rather avoid.

The Fire Pro is a good choice. I've used several of those cards without any issues.

Quote:

Incredibly pointless to RAID SSDs when you won't notice any performance gain and it has the potential to ruin your drive(s).

Whatever your budget is you should check out my recommended X79 build for some ideas:

Case: Corsair Carbide 500R - $139.99
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 950W - $149.99
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 - $329.99
CPU: 3.2GHz Intel Core i7-3930K - $599.99
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 - $89.99
RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - $259.99
SSD: 128GB Crucial M4 - $179.99
HD: Samsung Ecogreen F4 2TB - $159.99
Optical: LG BD-R Burner - $79.99
Video Card: ATI Fire Pro V7900 - $629.99

Total: $2,619.98

With this setup - it will run a lot smoother. There's a better PSU included (I hesitate to recommend the CM Silent Pro series), better video card, larger hard drive, and it has room for Eyefinity.
m
l
February 25, 2012 11:45:23 PM

thanks everyone for your feedback. yes i had am having a bit of fun with this build, so some of it does seem extreme. couldn't help myself. My software projects can use a lot of RAM such that having headroom beyond 16GB is not unreasonable to me.

Quote:

Incredibly pointless to RAID SSDs when you won't notice any performance gain and it has the potential to ruin your drive(s).

Sorry I'm doing Raid 1 not Raid 0. Can you elaborate on this however? I've never heard of RAID damaging drives, I thought generally one of the drives in the array tends to fail more often. Hence RAID 1.
m
l
!