Sign in with
Your question

What is the highest speed compatible to pentium 4?

Last response: in Components
June 5, 2012 4:43:36 PM

i want to upgrade my desktop to higher speed. what is the highest processor speed possible/compatible to pentium4/1.8ghz
June 5, 2012 5:02:57 PM

Oh boy; its possible you have a socket 478 motherboard, in which case there isn't much you can upgrade too...
m
l
June 5, 2012 5:45:26 PM

Hello,

Hmmm. For speed your going to want to chuck that system out completely. Even a "fast P4" is going to be much slower than even Core duo.

I would reccomend saving up for a new computer - the benefits you would get upgrading to a "faster" P4 would be very minimal - if you can even find a faster P4.

It's like saying you want to upgrade a Ford Model T to use on the highway or Autobahn.
m
l
Related resources
June 5, 2012 6:01:46 PM

Pentium 4's came in 3 different flavours of socket. Socket 423 was the first, which supported RAMBUS memory, I don't know what speeds the processors went up to. Socket 478 was the second, this supoported DDR memory, lead Intel's first foray into hyper threading and went up to speeds of around 3GHz. The last was LGA775 which supported DDR2 memory, included increased cache sizes and went to speeds around 3.6GHz. LGA775 went onto support dual core processors and the Core2Duo/Quad range.

Like the others I would suggest upgrading your computer wholesale to something a lot newer.

But a starting point has got to be what you have at present and what you use it for.
So, what is the make and model of your motherboard?
How much memory do you have?
What do you (hope to) use it for?
m
l
June 14, 2012 5:37:07 PM

pauls3743 said:
Pentium 4's came in 3 different flavours of socket. Socket 423 was the first, which supported RAMBUS memory, I don't know what speeds the processors went up to. Socket 478 was the second, this supoported DDR memory, lead Intel's first foray into hyper threading and went up to speeds of around 3GHz. The last was LGA775 which supported DDR2 memory, included increased cache sizes and went to speeds around 3.6GHz. LGA775 went onto support dual core processors and the Core2Duo/Quad range.

Like the others I would suggest upgrading your computer wholesale to something a lot newer.

But a starting point has got to be what you have at present and what you use it for.
So, what is the make and model of your motherboard?
How much memory do you have?
What do you (hope to) use it for?

ok. thanks to all of you, especially to pauls3747. i wish to have a 3.2ghz speed to meet the requirement of ghost warrior. any suggestion? please help. i'm a moron when it pertains to pc.
i'll leave me desktop for gaming of my grandson.
the cheapest, please, if possible.
m
l
June 14, 2012 6:11:00 PM

pauls3743 said:
Socket 478 was the second, this supoported DDR memory, lead Intel's first foray into hyper threading and went up to speeds of around 3GHz.

Single-core Prescott CPUs up to 3.6GHz were released on S478 as well.

As for memory support, there were some DDR2 chipsets for S478 but because DDR2 was twice as expensive as DDR1 at the time, few motherboard manufacturers bothered releasing more than one or two models since most people were looking at LGA775 for Pentium-D anyhow.

When Core2Duo came around a few months later running circles around Netburst, what little interest may have remained in S478 boards supporting DDR2 was quickly forgotten.
m
l
!