Closed Solved

BSOD/Freeze/Reset, Trying to stabilize new build.

Hello,

I've just finished building my first PC. Everything seems to work fine until i try to run Battlefield 3 then i get BSOD. I don't know what's causing it. My system should be able to handle this game fine. Here's my specs:

Case: Antec DF-85 ATX Full Tower Case
MOBO: ASUS M5A99X EVO AM3+ AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
CPU: AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model CML16GX3M4A1600C9B
GPU: HIS IceQ X Turbo H695QNT2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
OD: SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner Black 1.5Gbps Model SH-222AL/BSBS

-Update
I tried Dirt 3 and the computer just resets on game startup.

I've checked to make sure that my Ram and GPU are installed correctly, i've updated all my drivers from manufacturers websites. Now i'm at a loss as to what to do. Any help would be greatly apreciated.
42 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about bsod freeze reset stabilize build
  1. jarhead2night said:
    Hello,

    I've just finished building my first PC. Everything seems to work fine until i try to run Battlefield 3 then i get BSOD. I don't know what's causing it. My system should be able to handle this game fine. Here's my specs:

    Case: Antec DF-85 ATX Full Tower Case
    MOBO: ASUS M5A99X EVO AM3+ AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    CPU: AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor
    RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model CML16GX3M4A1600C9B
    GPU: HIS IceQ X Turbo H695QNT2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
    PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
    OD: SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner Black 1.5Gbps Model SH-222AL/BSBS


    I've checked to make sure that my Ram and GPU are installed correctly, i've updated all my drivers from manufacturers websites. Now i'm at a loss as to what to do. Any help would be greatly apreciated.


    Latest bios?

    Other games run ok? If yes then go to the BF3 support forum and look to see if others report the same problem. Do a search on your video card and BF3 to see if others report the same and have solutions.
  2. When i use 8GB of Ram (2x4GB) instead of the 16GB (4x4GB) it freezes instead of BSOD/Reset.

    I have the latest bios. I searched video card/bf3 and there's apparently a lot of different people that experience this sort of thing. Especially new builds. I've run the windows 7 memory diagnostics and came up clean. anyone else have any suggestions. this is really frustrating.
  3. bump
  4. A computer freezing (and not recovering) is a sure sign that you have memory problems. Download and run memtest86 4.0a to test your memory and report back here on how to fix your memory problems.
  5. Have you tried running another game? Battlefield 2 or something.
    That should narrow it down to hardware or software.
  6. I ran memtest86 4.0a on all 4 memory modules separately and only one of them failed. I then took two of the ones that passed on single tests and put them in together and ran memtest86 again and they passed. I then ran BF3 again and got the same exact problem. Locked up on intro screen.

    I'm going to try Dirt 3 now and see what happens.

    Thx for the replies everyone, keep them coming. I really want to get to the bottom of this.
  7. Bump

    Also, my GPU is factory overclocked the Core Clock is 840 MHz and the Memory Clock is 5120 MHz. I checked the AMD factory specs for this line of cards and the Core Clock is 800 MHz and the Memory Clock is 1250 MHz.

    I don't know anything about overclocking, but could these clock speeds be causing any stability problems?

    Why is the memory clock speed so much lower on the AMD factory specs?

    again, any help would be awesome.

    thx
  8. Update:

    I just ran Dirt 3 and the computer reset after about 30 seconds of the intro :(

    I don't know what to do next.

    Help
  9. If it restarted without a bluescreen, good chance your PSU isn't up to snuff. It's rated for plenty of power, but it may just be a faulty unit.

    But before you start digging out your PSU, try ones the pair of RAM the passed, underclock the GPU to stock factory non pre-OC specs, and give that a try. If that doesn't work you might try adding a tiny bit of voltage to the GPU using MSI Afterburner. And by tiny a mean one or 2 clicks up. This will test to see if you current clocks are stable, if this fixes the problem then it wasn't previously stable. If it doesn't fix the problem, unfortunately it does not rule out the card being the issue.
  10. Thx for the reply,

    To underclock the GPU do i just use MSI Afterburner and adjust settings to match factory settings?

    Sorry i'm a newb when it comes to overclocking.
  11. thermal shut down because of CPU heat?
  12. jarhead2night said:
    Thx for the reply,

    To underclock the GPU do i just use MSI Afterburner and adjust settings to match factory settings?

    Sorry i'm a newb when it comes to overclocking.


    You can use the catalyst control centre.

    did you plug in the 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector?.
  13. Ya I plugged in the 8-pin connector.

    I don't think it's a heat issue, i'm using the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo cpu cooler. So far i haven't seen the cpu temps go higher than 40c.
  14. Quote:
    ran memtest86 4.0a on all 4 memory modules separately and only one of them failed. I then took two of the ones that passed on single tests and put them in together and ran memtest86 again and they passed. I then ran BF3 again and got the same exact problem. Locked up on intro screen.

    I'm going to try Dirt 3 now and see what happens.

    Thx for the replies everyone, keep them coming. I really want to get to the bottom of this.


    Did you run memtest86 4.0a for at least three passes? You may still have memory problems. Try it with only one stick of memory and see if you still get the freezes. The power supply could be causing the memory to fail, try another power supply.
  15. I just tried running Memtest86 again with two of the sticks that passed earlier to let it run for 5 or 6 passes and about 7% into the first pass everything freezes.

    Is this cause i am trying to test 2 sticks at once?
  16. When memtest86 freezes it means that the program has crashed, either because the small bit of memory the program is running in has been corrupted or the processor has performed a erroneous operation.
    Are you sure that the processor is running with the BIOS set to its default settings? It may be a good idea to clear the CMOS memory the way it tells you to in the manual. It is very unlikely that the processor is faulty, a bad power supply could also cause this problem. Have you checked the CPU temperature in the BIOS? You can find it in the hardware monitor section and should be less than 60 Centigrade at full load.
  17. I've kept the bios at default settings so far. The only thing i've changed is the cpu fan warning threshold down from 600 rpm to 500 rpm. Everything else is still set to default.

    I've been monitoring the CPU temp since the get go (with the built in bios monitor) and it's never went higher than 44c.

    I'll try resetting the CMOS now and see if that helps.

    Also one other thing i wanted to know...

    When i right click on the AMD vision engine icon in the system tray it shows "AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series" in 4 separate instances. They are numbered 1-4....

    Is this some kind of driver error, i don't see why the menu would show 4 separate instances of the same card.

    any ideas?
  18. Ok I just reset the CMOS and that's created a problem with windows. I'm not sure if this is normal, i've never reset a CMOS before but here's what happened.

    After i reset it i entered bios to make sure the setting were still default (other than the cpu fan warning threshold) and then i continued on to windows.

    Once windows loads up fully i get an warning message from Microsoft. The warning reads:

    "You may be the victim of software counterfeiting. To use all Microsoft Windows features, such as all updates from windows update; get the latest update; and receive product support, your copy of Microsoft Windows must be validated as genuine."

    Also in the bottom of the desktop by the system tray is says...

    "Windows 7 build 7601 this copy of Windows is not valid"

    What am i supposed to do?
  19. jarhead2night said:
    Ok I just reset the CMOS and that's created a problem with windows. I'm not sure if this is normal, i've never reset a CMOS before but here's what happened.

    After i reset it i entered bios to make sure the setting were still default (other than the cpu fan warning threshold) and then i continued on to windows.

    Once windows loads up fully i get an warning message from Microsoft. The warning reads:

    "You may be the victim of software counterfeiting. To use all Microsoft Windows features, such as all updates from windows update; get the latest update; and receive product support, your copy of Microsoft Windows must be validated as genuine."

    Also in the bottom of the desktop by the system tray is says...

    "Windows 7 build 7601 this copy of Windows is not valid"

    What am i supposed to do?


    Is it an OEM or retail copy, firs time your installing on this computer?
  20. Quote:
    When i right click on the AMD vision engine icon in the system tray it shows "AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series" in 4 separate instances. They are numbered 1-4....


    This is normal if you have four video outputs.

    Quote:
    "Windows 7 build 7601 this copy of Windows is not valid"

    What am i supposed to do?



    Assuming your Windows is genuine, it means that some files have become corrupted because of a memory error, you should reinstall your operating system to fix this once you have sorted out the memory and freezing problem.
  21. My windows is indeed genuine.

    It's Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM.
  22. jarhead2night said:
    My windows is indeed genuine.

    It's Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM.


    Never used and registered before even in another computer no longer in use?

    When I look at the ram sepc it says: Intel XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) Support

    I may have found the problem. Looking at the approved memory for the mobo it does not show support for your memory. here is the list of approved from Corsair. Please note that your mobo wants 1.65v memory and the ram you are using is 1.5v. That would cause the mismatch. If others confirm my opinion then you need to get memory that is 1.65v native.
    CORSAIR
    CMX6GX3M3A1600C9(XMP)
    6GB ( 3x 2GB )
    DS
    -
    -
    9-9-9-24
    1.65
    CORSAIR
    CMX6GX3M3C1600C7(XMP)
    6GB ( 3x 2GB )
    DS
    -
    -
    7-8-7-20
    1.65
    CORSAIR
    TR3X6G1600C8D(XMP)
    6GB(3 x 2GB)
    DS
    -
    -
    8-8-8-24
    1.65
    CORSAIR
    CMP8GX3M2A1600C9(XMP)
    8GB ( 2x 4GB )
    DS
    -
    -
    9-9-9-24
    1.65
    CORSAIR
    CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8(XMP)
    8GB ( 2x 4GB )
    DS
    -
    -
    8-8-8-24
    1.5


    CORSAIR
    CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9(XMP)
    8GB ( 2x 4GB )
    DS
    -
    -
    9-9-9-24
    1.5


    CORSAIR
    CMD8GX3M4A1600C8(XMP)
    8GB(4 x 2GB)
    DS
    -
    -
    8-8-8-24
    1.65
    CORSAIR
    CMX8GX3M4A1600C9(XMP)
    8GB(4 x 2GB)
    DS
    -
    -
    9-9-9-24
    1.65
  23. @ QuietPC you might be right, but i was looking in the QVL list in the MOBO manual and Corsair (CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B) is compatible.

    Then when you look up mine (CML16GX3M4A1600C9B) you'll see it's the same memory just "Low Profile".
  24. Keep in mind that faulty ram will cause corrupt installs which would explain problems with bf3 and your windows activation .Try a clean install without the faulty ram.

    EDIT : I mean clean OS install
  25. I've just reinstalled windows with the 2 ram sticks that passes memtest86. I'm installing windows updates and then i'll try BF3 again and see if it made any difference.

    Be back in a few.
  26. jarhead2night said:
    I've just reinstalled windows with the 2 ram sticks that passes memtest86. I'm installing windows updates and then i'll try BF3 again and see if it made any difference.

    Be back in a few.


    Did you make sure that the voltage was 1.65 in bios? That's a lot of extra voltage for ram that is rated 1.5v.
  27. I tried BF3 again after clean install of OS and Driver software. It didn't freeze this time, but it reset the computer on first loading screen.

    I then tried an old game, Age of Empires lll, (which should definitely run fine on this system) and it started up and let me start a skirmish map but 3 or 4 minutes into the match it reset the system.

    What i'm trying to determine is whether this is a software problem, or a hardware problem.

    I think it's probably hardware but i'm not certain. What do you guys think?
  28. jarhead2night said:
    I tried BF3 again after clean install of OS and Driver software. It didn't freeze this time, but it reset the computer on first loading screen.

    I then tried an old game, Age of Empires lll, (which should definitely run fine on this system) and it started up and let me start a skirmish map but 3 or 4 minutes into the match it reset the system.

    What i'm trying to determine is whether this is a software problem, or a hardware problem.

    I think it's probably hardware but i'm not certain. What do you guys think?


    Are you getting BSOD or is it just reseting?. Do you have problems only with games?.
  29. It just resets, no BSOD or warning of any kind.

    Yes it's only with games, everything else works perfectly. Multiple apps/movies/music all works flawlessly, but every game i try it resets or freezes.
  30. jarhead2night said:
    It just resets, no BSOD or warning of any kind.

    Yes it's only with games, everything else works perfectly. Multiple apps/movies/music all works flawlessly, but every game i try it resets or freezes.


    can you try to download and run prime 95 http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/ run blend which stresses all components except gpu. If it works without any problems download and run Furmark which will benchmark and stress your gpu.

    edit link for furmark http://majorgeeks.com/FurMark_d4183.html
  31. will try that now
  32. Just ran prime95 (blend) for 30 min. No problems, no resets. Max CPU temp was 49c and max Mobo temp was 30c.

    I will now try running Furmark. How long should i run it, and does running it run any risks to my system?
  33. I just ran Furmark and the computer froze after 8 min. The max GPU temp was 79c.

    Does this mean that it's my graphics card or PSU, or could it still be something else?

    79c is an acceptable temp for a GPU isn't it?
  34. jarhead2night said:
    Just ran prime95 (blend) for 30 min. No problems, no resets. Max CPU temp was 49c and max Mobo temp was 30c.

    I will now try running Furmark. How long should i run it, and does running it run any risks to my system?


    The test is 15 minutes long. There is some risk like in every benchmark but the probability is small. Try the full burn in at full resolution if you haven't already.
  35. Your motherboard should have software that will monitor your voltages. You can also download hwmonitor http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html. your voltages should be within +- 5% for 12v,5v,3.3v. Monitor them while running furmark in windows mode.
  36. It froze again, here are the stats at the time of lock up:

    5:19 sec/35% finished when it locks up.
    12v: Mobo reading was 11.891, GPUz reading was 11.94
    5v: Mobo reading was 4.992
    3.3v: Mobo reading was 3.12

    max power draw was 91w

    temps were ~75c throughout with a max of 79c
  37. Best answer
    jarhead2night said:
    It froze again, here are the stats at the time of lock up:

    5:19 sec/35% finished when it locks up.
    12v: Mobo reading was 11.891, GPUz reading was 11.94
    5v: Mobo reading was 4.992
    3.3v: Mobo reading was 3.12

    max power draw was 91w

    temps were ~75c throughout with a max of 79c


    I think the culprit it the PSU since you only have problems playing/loading games and running the furmark benchmark which require more power that average. One thing you can also try is run with only one 4gm stick and disconnect anything that requires power like your optical drive or case fans. Then try to run furmark again and see if there is an improvement.
  38. well i'll give that a try tomorrow, i'm getting tired.

    I'll probably end up RMA'ing the PSU. Think i should stick with the same make/model? Or should i go with a bit more powerful unit?

    Also, do you think i should stick with single rail, or use a multiple rail unit?
  39. jarhead2night said:
    well i'll give that a try tomorrow, i'm getting tired.

    I'll probably end up RMA'ing the PSU. Think i should stick with the same make/model? Or should i go with a bit more powerful unit?

    Also, do you think i should stick with single rail, or use a multiple rail unit?


    I have the exact same PSU, very happy with it so far. It's generally very reliable and it has enough power to run your 6950's in crossfire. You might have got a lemon. I would stick with single rail.
  40. Best answer selected by jarhead2night.
  41. I just wanted to thank everyone here who gave me advice. It turns out it was the PSU. I RMA'd it and got a Corsair GS 800 and everything works great now.

    Thanks again for all your help.

    Love this forum.
  42. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems