Monitor vs TV for gaming only .. mainly FPS

orangesss

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
My Samsung HDTV decided to brake on me so now i'm on the hunt for a screen for my xbox 360.
Since I know very little about tv's, monitors , would you suggest me getting a monitor or a tv for gaming only? I am after image clarity, low input lag and fast response time since I play a lot of FPS.

I had my xbox connect to the tv via HDMI ... it's i believe a 24" and I always preferred to sit rather close to the tv (which is bad) but no matter what distance the images or text just didn't seem as clear as say a really really good monitor or a mac screen.

I'm not looking for a large tv/monitor to showcase in my living room, im looking for a medium size .. however, good quality screen to put on my desk.

... also a side note, i don't think canadian stores such as bestbuy, futureshop or costco sell asus screen.. which is quite surprising. Such a shame since I found this one quite interesting:
http://www.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VE278Q/#specifications

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Agree with chippies. Things to look for in monitors are response time, 5m/s or under (I personally prefer 2m/s) and refresh rate, 60 Hz is good. But if you're thinking of 3D you'll need 120 Hz or faster. Good resolution for 24" is 1920x1080 pixels. Other things to consider are lcd or led. led's produce better blacks and consume less power and are thinner than lcd. One more thing, not all monitors support hdmi, although most do. Hope this helps.

orangesss

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Thanks guys.

One more thing.

I plan on connecting my xbox to the monitor via HDMI. I also own a pair of Turtlebeach ear force x12. And I used to connect them just like it shows in the picture (for hdmi) :
http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/xbox-gaming-headsets/ear-force-x12.aspx

How would I go about using my headset with a monitor? As far as I know monitors usually don't have component/composite (?? one of the two) inputs. Would i be able to hear game sounds as well as chat with people(use the mic) if I just plugged the 3.5mm mic/audio jacks to the respective inputs on the monitor? ... given I find a monitor that has those inputs (im assuming most monitors do lol)

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011

I'm not aware of any monitors that have both mic/audio jacks, although some do have the 3.5mm audio jack. So you wil be able to hear the game sounds, you won't be able to chat with only the 3.5 stereo I/O port. But looking at the headset you've listed, it connects to the xbox, not the monitor. Connecting it to your xbox will give full funtionality.