Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

$1500 Gaming Build Ran into some Troubles

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 18, 2012 7:28:47 PM

So, Here is my build. I will be CFXing, and overclocking. If, and when I need to crossfire, I will definitely buy a new PSU (The current one is there to keep the initial price down. This will be Assembled in the US. I am trying to keep my parts from Micro center, New egg, NCIX, and Tigerdirect. I have a Tiger Direct, and a Microcenter within 15 minutes of my house. Oh, almost forgot I will be overclocking also.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0354589

CPU Cooler: Corsair CAFA70 61.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181011

Motherboard: MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=62865&vpn=Z68A-GD65%20%28G3%29&manufacture=MSI%2FMicroStar&promoid=1315

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.99 @ Newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231477

Hard Drive: Corsair Force Series GT 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($154.99 @ Newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233191

Video Card: XFX Double D FX-797A-TDFC ($579.99 @ Newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150596

Case: Corsair CC650DW ATX Mid Tower Case ($173.43 @ NCIX US)
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=58078&vpn=CC650DW&manufacture=Corsair

Here's the problem area, I also really like this Case
Case: NZXT Switch 810 White ATX Full Tower Case ($189.98 @ Newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146088

Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($151.29 @ Newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222AB DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Newegg)
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151233

Total: $1478.68
This is the total with the Corsair 650D, not the Switch 810. So what do you guys think. 810 or 650D. And any other areas you might want to critique? Also a couple of my part's lowest prices can be found on amazon. Can the rainforest of products be trusted?
February 18, 2012 9:07:55 PM

Looking good. I do have a few suggestions, though.
-Get a decent 850w PSU. 650w is NOT going to run 2 overclocked 7970's. Period. Something like this would do the job: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Or a Corsair TX850M: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
-Next, I'd grab a different cooler. While the A70 is okay, the Hyper 212 EVO is better. http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-RR-212E-2...
-While that mobo is alright, I'd prefer one with PCI-E 3.0 for futureproofing: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Same price, and now you don't need to worry about a rebate.
-This is probably nit-picking, but I'd grab some black RAM so it matches your color scheme: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
-I would prefer an OCZ Vertex 3 over a Corsair Force GT. Your call though. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That's all! You've done really well.

m
0
l
February 18, 2012 9:23:13 PM

Okay, so not to be a a**hole or anything but you've got a couple things wrong. I will upgrade my PSU before I go to CFX. The A70 is the best Cooler in this price range, and it is cheaper. This motherboard has PCIe Gen 3 and it is also a company I trust. I do not like Asrock. and my color scheme is Blue and Black not Black only, guess I should have said that. OCZ has a very bad record with me. 2 broken PSUs that fried a motherboard and 3 RMAed SSDs. And again, I know I kind of sound like an a** in this post, but I have absolutely no intentions of being one.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 18, 2012 9:28:49 PM

Oops, my bad. Didn't know MSI came out with their Gen3 Boards yet.
Hey, if you wanna roll with the GT, that's cool. Just a suggestion.
I made the RAM suggestion to go with my suggested mobo, in case you wanted to switch.

I will however stick with my PSU suggestion. Why get a $140 PSU, then buy another one later when you can spend $140 on one that can run both? The NZXT Hale is an excellent PSU, as is the Corsair. I'd just like to know your thinking.

Will you be gaming at 1080p? A pair of 7970's is pretty overkill for that res. Maybe drop to a pair of 7950's, or wait for the 78xx to come out?
m
0
l
February 18, 2012 11:16:30 PM

Striker you bring up great points, and I will be getting a better PSU then. And I will be gaming at 1080p, and I will probably go 3 monitor eyefinity. But here's my dilemma, its also a disease really. Its called ihavetohavethebest-iosis. I cannot buy something knowing there is something better on the market for what I need to do. So I have forced myself to get all the other parts, non the best, so I could get the best most powerful single GPU out. Oh and also no one has commented on my lack of HDD, and it is because HDDs are way to overpriced right now, and 120GB is enough for OS, BF3, Minecraft, and WoW. I will be getting a 1TB HDD when they are reasonably priced again.

So on that note, Recommended 850w PSUs, and also what do you guys think, NZXT Switch 810 or Corsair Obsidian 650D?
m
0
l
February 18, 2012 11:16:42 PM

I agree, go with a much cheaper OCZ psu. After purchasing PCPnC they have really stepped up their quality in power supplies. Then again, I understand avoiding companies that have burned you before. Either way it does not make any sense buying such a ridiculously priced psu when you are planning on replacing it in a year or two. If you are going to spend that kind of money, just buy one that will last you for the long term.

I love MSI, but their z68 mobos do not have the best track record when it comes to stability and OCing. They have some solid p67 boards... but I am quite sure those would not interest you. Sadly I have to say that ASUS and ASRock rule the market in that price range for performance no matter the cost... and getting something potentially bad because it fits your color scheme is just a little silly.

Too bad you missed those killer SSD deals a week ago at microcenter... they had a ton of SSDs at the magic $1/GB number. But that is not a bad price for the Corsair.

All things being equal on the case I would likely go with the white one for style, but really, you can't go wrong with either of them, they are both top notch.

Best of luck!
m
0
l
February 18, 2012 11:18:11 PM

mrwhit30ut said:
Striker you bring up great points, and I will be getting a better PSU then. And I will be gaming at 1080p, and I will probably go 3 monitor eyefinity. But here's my dilemma, its also a disease really. Its called ihavetohavethebest-iosis. I cannot buy something knowing there is something better on the market for what I need to do. So I have forced myself to get all the other parts, non the best, so I could get the best most powerful single GPU out. Oh and also no one has commented on my lack of HDD, and it is because HDDs are way to overpriced right now, and 120GB is enough for OS, BF3, Minecraft, and WoW. I will be getting a 1TB HDD when they are reasonably priced again.

So on that note, Recommended 850w PSUs, and also what do you guys think, NZXT Switch 810 or Corsair Obsidian 650D?


The best cure for the desease is to know that you will be out of date in 3 months no matter how much money you throw at it. It is much better to get affordable parts that get the job done, and upgrade more often.
m
0
l
February 18, 2012 11:26:09 PM

"Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($151.29 @ Newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..."

They were having a sell for a corsair 850 gold for 180 (tax and everything) on newegg during 2-15-12. Also as a 7970 owner, I had to switch out of a 700watt silver psu because it was barely enough to keep the system stable. I was overclocking a lot on the black edition 7970...
m
0
l
February 18, 2012 11:45:55 PM

The CM Hyper 212+ is the best bang for the buck. The CM Hyper 212 EVO is the new version but they both are about the same. The old version tho is lower priced.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/LGA-2011-i7-3960X-A...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $19 after rebate.

For 2 or more 7970's I suggest a CM Silent Pro 1000W. I point this out only to show a combo deal with a case which makes it a very good deal.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... < good deal on both $264.98 and after rebate $224.98.
m
0
l
February 19, 2012 1:00:12 AM

Alright! I understand wanting the best, and if you plan on going Eyefinity in the future the 7970's might be the best choice. That 3GB Vram sure will be nice ;) 

With that said, you'll need to get some substantial clocks on the CPU in order to remove the CPU bottleneck from a pair of 7970's. 4.5GHz should do the trick. With this in mind, an upgraded CPU cooler isn't a bad idea. Tom's just recently did a review on high end air solutions: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/LGA-2011-i7-3960X-A... The A70 gets the best bang for buck, although Corsair DID cheat by sending it along with two fans. Plus the Hyper 212 EVO was quieter, giving it the recommendation for a budget cooler.

That said, it might not be a bad idea to pick up a huge-ass cooler like the Noctua, as it should help you reach significantly higher clocks. It's $55 more, though.

I DO NOT recommend any Coolermaster PSU. They are in general not very high quality. A decent 850w will do fine, like this Seasonic: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Seasonic has a reputation for making outstanding PSU's.

When it comes to cases, both are excellent. While the Obsidian series is more designed for water cooling, it looks like the Switch can do either water or air. Plus, it looks more sexy :p  Switch gets my vote.
m
0
l
February 19, 2012 3:13:13 AM

striker410 said:
Alright! I understand wanting the best, and if you plan on going Eyefinity in the future the 7970's might be the best choice. That 3GB Vram sure will be nice ;) 

With that said, you'll need to get some substantial clocks on the CPU in order to remove the CPU bottleneck from a pair of 7970's. 4.5GHz should do the trick. With this in mind, an upgraded CPU cooler isn't a bad idea. Tom's just recently did a review on high end air solutions: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/LGA-2011-i7-3960X-A... The A70 gets the best bang for buck, although Corsair DID cheat by sending it along with two fans. Plus the Hyper 212 EVO was quieter, giving it the recommendation for a budget cooler.

That said, it might not be a bad idea to pick up a huge-ass cooler like the Noctua, as it should help you reach significantly higher clocks. It's $55 more, though.

I DO NOT recommend any Coolermaster PSU. They are in general not very high quality. A decent 850w will do fine, like this Seasonic: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Seasonic has a reputation for making outstanding PSU's.

When it comes to cases, both are excellent. While the Obsidian series is more designed for water cooling, it looks like the Switch can do either water or air. Plus, it looks more sexy :p  Switch gets my vote.

Think you mis-read the review as the CM Hyper 212 EVO got best bang for the buck due to much better temp to noise.
Quote:
Cooler Master wins this time, and by a wider margin
Noctua is a bad ideal as its near half the price of the CPU. Read the article as it states only given the 2011 socket 6 cores did they give the Noctua the tomshardware award as they are not low-cost processors. The best bang for the buck tho on newegg is the CM hyper 212+ at only $19. Most low end overclockers use the CM Hyper 212+.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/page-261868_29_650.ht...

Cooler Master is only pretty good but Seasonics big problem is high cost. Not to long ago I only suggested the Antec but now they are junk due to quality control. Cooler Master is higher ranked than Seasonic. Cooler Master is ranked 6 while Seasonic is ranked 20th.
http://www.ranker.com/list/the-best-power-supply-manufa...

Are you really going to suggest a brand new PSU with no user reviews? Seasonic can no longer copy Antecs designs so I fear both will suffer. The CM 1000w has the best user reviews of any high end PSU on newegg.

I would be very worried about the seasonic as same model 750w has a very high 50% 1 egg user rating.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I suggest going with my two recommendations.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
m
0
l
February 19, 2012 7:00:28 AM

So here is what I have currently:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ NCIX US)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.44 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($194.99 @ NCIX US)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.99 @
Newegg)

Hard Drive: Corsair Force Series GT 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($154.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($479.99 @ NCIX US)

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Black ATX Full Tower Case ($164.49 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Corsair 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($159.99 @ NCIX US)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222AB DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $1451.85

Those are with most of the changes I've seen, I'm leaning towards the 810, but I am still a wee bit unsure on exactly what case I want to buy.
m
0
l
February 19, 2012 12:59:23 PM

That is a great build. The NZXT 810 is very roomy and can handle motherboards as large as the XL-ATX spec. Have fun with your PC MrWhit3Out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

Only thing left I can suggest is the best for long lasting thermal grease AS5. Silver after all has a higher thermal conductive material then even the copper heat pipes.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.engineersedge.com/properties_of_metals.htm
m
0
l
February 19, 2012 2:10:21 PM

elbert said:
Noctua is a bad ideal as its near half the price of the CPU. Read the article as it states only given the 2011 socket 6 cores did they give the Noctua the tomshardware award as they are not low-cost processors. The best bang for the buck tho on newegg is the CM hyper 212+ at only $19. Most low end overclockers use the CM Hyper 212+.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/page-261868_29_650.ht...
The 212+ is $20 after rebate. Without taking rebates into account, it's the same price as the EVO (Look at OP's link to NCIX)
I hardly consider a $1500 rig a "low end" machine. When it's packing a punch in the way of dual 7950's, I'd want every advantage I could get. Note however I DO suggest the EVO, just saying the Noctua is an option.

Cooler Master is only pretty good but Seasonics big problem is high cost. Not to long ago I only suggested the Antec but now they are junk due to quality control. Cooler Master is higher ranked than Seasonic. Cooler Master is ranked 6 while Seasonic is ranked 20th.
http://www.ranker.com/list/the-best-power-supply-manufa...[/quotemsg] Where's the data to back up the ranking?
Here's a review hardware secrets did. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX... Coolermaster puts fake labels on their PSU's. This 600w PSU can in fact only supply 450w, and doesn't even meet 80+ specifications.
elbert said:
Are you really going to suggest a brand new PSU with no user reviews? Seasonic can no longer copy Antecs designs so I fear both will suffer. The CM 1000w has the best user reviews of any high end PSU on newegg.
Yes, I will. Seasonic has been a staple of reliability.

elbert said:
I would be very worried about the seasonic as same model 750w has a very high 50% 1 egg user rating.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
There's 2 ratings. 50% of 2=1. A SINGLE bad rating.
m
0
l
February 19, 2012 5:04:16 PM

So, all I really did was change the hyper 212 evo to a +. I will eventually put in a water cooling loop, and I find getting a really good air cooler now would be a waste if I am just going to get a water cooling loop.

On another note though, when do you think Kepler will be out? And do you guys think the "660 Ti" I guess will top the 7950? Buying an Nvidia card would also help me because I do utilize CUDA cores for Sony Vegas and things.
m
0
l
February 19, 2012 5:49:53 PM

Nvidia Kepler cards are rumored to be out sometime in Q2 of this year, about the same time Ivy Bridge is due out... April/May of this year. Ivy Bridge + Gen 3 board + new generation vid cards = PCI-E 3.0
m
0
l
February 19, 2012 6:07:16 PM

mrwhit30ut said:
So, all I really did was change the hyper 212 evo to a +. I will eventually put in a water cooling loop, and I find getting a really good air cooler now would be a waste if I am just going to get a water cooling loop.

Makes sense. Good call.
mrwhit30ut said:

On another note though, when do you think Kepler will be out? And do you guys think the "660 Ti" I guess will top the 7950? Buying an Nvidia card would also help me because I do utilize CUDA cores for Sony Vegas and things.
As Why_Me said, it's supposed to come out later this year. I imagine the 660 would be somewhere in between the GTX 570 and the 7950, hopefully with the overclocking potential of the famed GTX 460. It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

You know, the other option would be to grab a pair of GTX 580's since you can use CUDA. I've seen them for as low as $325 used, and $414 new after rebate. Just an idea, not saying I suggest it.
m
0
l
February 19, 2012 6:53:16 PM

Idk, Since the next generation of cards is out, I really would rather not buy a 580. They are large, Hot, and power and price v performance is not very good.
m
0
l
February 19, 2012 7:14:29 PM

Makes sense. Just throwing it out there.
m
0
l
February 20, 2012 2:57:38 AM

striker410 said:
The 212+ is $20 after rebate. Without taking rebates into account, it's the same price as the EVO (Look at OP's link to NCIX)
I hardly consider a $1500 rig a "low end" machine. When it's packing a punch in the way of dual 7950's, I'd want every advantage I could get. Note however I DO suggest the EVO, just saying the Noctua is an option.

LOL you dont see the big point that the i5 2500k with the Noctua would be near the price of the i7 2600K. At that point the OP would be better off with the i7 2600K and a CM hyper 212+. Suggesting the EVO again after wrongly admitting the A70 won? Worst grabbing the link I posted before you then mis-stating the outcome. What is your point any way as I stated the EVO is fine just a bit higher priced compared to the CM hyper 212+ which it is on NCIX. NCIX has the CM hyper 212+ for only 22.99.
Quote:
The CM Hyper 212+ is the best bang for the buck. The CM Hyper 212 EVO is the new version but they both are about the same. The old version tho is lower priced.

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=41337&vpn=RR-B10-212P-...

striker410 said:
Where's the data to back up the ranking?
Here's a review hardware secrets did. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX... Coolermaster puts fake labels on their PSU's. This 600w PSU can in fact only supply 450w, and doesn't even meet 80+ specifications.
Yes, I will. Seasonic has been a staple of reliability.

So has Antec and your not suggesting a top quality high cost Seasonic but a budget version with no user reviews. The budget versions just below getting destroyed in user reviews. You turn around and point to a budget 600w Cooler master and compare it to their quality high cost versions. The ranker lists information you will have to ask them but here is a bit of what I have found.
Quote:
Information and media on this page and throughout Ranker is supplied by freebase, factual, Wikipedia, Ranker users, and other sources. Freebase content is freely licensed under the CC-BY license and Wikipedia content is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation license.


striker410 said:
There's 2 ratings. 50% of 2=1. A SINGLE bad rating.

Yes but the site states both did purchase the power supply. That put their feed back ahead of speculation. Speculation on same model higher wattage with no reviews is more in question.


m
0
l
February 20, 2012 3:14:17 AM

mrwhit30ut said:
So, all I really did was change the hyper 212 evo to a +. I will eventually put in a water cooling loop, and I find getting a really good air cooler now would be a waste if I am just going to get a water cooling loop.

On another note though, when do you think Kepler will be out? And do you guys think the "660 Ti" I guess will top the 7950? Buying an Nvidia card would also help me because I do utilize CUDA cores for Sony Vegas and things.

Either of the CM hyper 212 will make a great cooler. As for the water loop the Noctua is about an equal to some water coolers. It beat the Corsair H70 water cooler by a bit. At these prices tho I would first suggest going to higher end CPU's. Given the short time till the 22nm i5 3570K I would suggest waiting if you plan to put a lot of cash in a system. The 22nm i5 3570K launches April the 8th.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/corsair_h70/4.h...

Leaked slides suggest the GTX660 will be out April the 12th. If the leak is correct the GTX660 will equal the GTX580 which the 7950 only has a 1% lead over.
m
0
l
February 20, 2012 3:29:16 AM

elbert said:
Either of the CM hyper 212 will make a great cooler. As for the water loop the Noctua is about an equal to some water coolers. It beat the Corsair H70 water cooler by a bit. At these prices tho I would first suggest going to higher end CPU's. Given the short time till the 22nm i5 3570K I would suggest waiting if you plan to put a lot of cash in a system.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/corsair_h70/4.h...

Leaked slides suggest the GTX660 will be out April the 12th. If the leak is correct the GTX660 will equal the GTX580 which the 7950 only has a 1% lead over.
http://www.expreview.com/img/news/2012/02/03/NVIDIA-600-2.jpg

That JPEG is bogus. It's been posted all over the net and it's as fake as a $3 bill.
m
0
l
February 20, 2012 3:44:07 AM

Why_Me said:
That JPEG is bogus. It's been posted all over the net and it's as fake as a $3 bill.

That is cool as I stated if the leak is correct. IE only Nvidia know for sure.
m
0
l
February 20, 2012 12:22:06 PM

So I was just throwing some things around on PC part picker and I found something. Do you guys think it would be good to buy a 3820, CPU? then because of the increased motherboard cost buy a 6970? Or I could try and get a cheaper X79 motherboard and try for a 7950?

What do you guys think of this psu
here
m
0
l
February 20, 2012 2:00:30 PM

I'd stick with the 2500k. There isn't really a reason to go with LGA 2011 unless you want one of the hex-cores, since the 3820 performs so close to the 2500k anyway. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-3930k-3820-... Since they run on the same architecture, they perform very similarly. Go with the 2500k.

That PSU is excellent. However, why 1000w? A decent 850w can hold up a pair of 7950's, 7970's, whatever. If you were to get three cards then 1000w would be required.
m
0
l
February 20, 2012 2:13:42 PM

Okay, so I won't be doing that then. Should I look into a lower wattage version of that silverstone PSU? or are there any. because that looks like a good fully modular PSU. I need fully modular.
m
0
l
February 20, 2012 2:49:19 PM

I would check into micocenter prices for the i5 + mobo combo, I know they were offering $50 bucks off mobos when getting both there (in store only) plus their i5 cost is already the cheapest around.

You could use the cash for an upgrade somewhere else, should be $70 in savings.
m
0
l
February 20, 2012 6:14:05 PM

Lokster where can I find the ad describing the CPU + Motherboard combo at microcenter?
m
0
l
February 20, 2012 7:12:08 PM

mrwhit30ut said:
So I was just throwing some things around on PC part picker and I found something. Do you guys think it would be good to buy a 3820, CPU? then because of the increased motherboard cost buy a 6970? Or I could try and get a cheaper X79 motherboard and try for a 7950?

What do you guys think of this psu
here

If you get a X79 you should also get a 6 core i7 3930. The 6 core CPU is about the main reason to upgrade to the socket 2011.

If you go with a seasonic 850w PSU get the quality X Series. The other one is like Antec's junky basiq verison. The X series is more like Antec's high quality Earthwatt versions.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The 7870 will be out March the 6th for $299. It should be about as powerful as the GTX570. The 7870 with a X79 motherboard, and the 6 core 3930 would be a nice system. The 3930K tho is $599 and currently out of stock.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
February 20, 2012 7:22:29 PM

elbert said:

The 7870 will be out March the 6th for $299. It should be about as powerful as the GTX570. 2

We don't know anything about the 7870 yet. This is speculation.
m
0
l
February 20, 2012 7:27:30 PM

striker410 said:
We don't know anything about the 7870 yet. This is speculation.

Sorry but your wrong as the official launch graphic is in the 7770-review thead.


Also there is this link which pins it down to the day. This is a add in board partner leaking the information so its not speculation at all. Also it was published before the 7770 launch and hit it right on the day.
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2012/1/31/amd-to-l...
m
0
l
February 20, 2012 7:38:45 PM

elbert said:
Sorry but your wrong as the official launch graphic is in the 7770-review thead.
http://media.bestofmicro.com/Radeon-HD7770,U-7-326383-3.jpg

Also there is this link which pins it down to the day. This is a add in board partner leaking the information so its not speculation at all. Also it was published before the 7770 launch and hit it right on the day.
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2012/1/31/amd-to-l...

Again, this is speculation. We Don't KNOW the 7870 will be as powerful as the GTX 570, we don't KNOW it will launch for $299. We can only guess. We don't know anything for sure until AMD tells us. I didn't say it wasn't a good idea to get a 7870, there's simply no FACTS about it.
Besides, the OP already stated he wants the best. That means the 79xx series or wait for Kepler.
m
0
l
February 20, 2012 7:43:41 PM

striker410 said:
Again, this is speculation. We Don't KNOW the 7870 will be as powerful as the GTX 570, we don't KNOW it will launch for $299. We can only guess. We don't know anything for sure until AMD tells us. I didn't say it wasn't a good idea to get a 7870, there's simply no FACTS about it.
Besides, the OP already stated he wants the best. That means the 79xx series or wait for Kepler.

That is a leak also not speculation.
http://www.custompcreview.com/2012/02/20/amd-radeon-hd-...
Me saying it near the GTX570 is a calculation of its 1408 Stream Processors compared to the change between 7970's and 7950's stream processors.

I do my research or I state it in the post. Lastly the OP was pondering on a 6970 with the x79 motherboard which I was stating the 7870 would be a better choice. Yes saying is the better choice is speculation but well researched.
m
0
l
February 20, 2012 10:29:07 PM

Well, I mean I think after noticing all of the choices I have, I do like the Idea of doing an X79 7870 setup. After all X79 is the true intel powerhouse, and In the open ended long run, X79 will last longer than Z68, Hopefully.
m
0
l
February 20, 2012 10:34:44 PM

This article Says the 7870 will be undercutting Nvidia by a metric crap ton. The site says its verified but I am concerned with the pricing. But if that was true, X79 and 7870 CF would be the way to go. Ah since it is X79 and I'll be getting a full tower case, looks like 3 way CFX. But that's if these prices are correct.
m
0
l
February 20, 2012 11:11:19 PM

mrwhit30ut said:
This article Says the 7870 will be undercutting Nvidia by a metric crap ton. The site says its verified but I am concerned with the pricing. But if that was true, X79 and 7870 CF would be the way to go. Ah since it is X79 and I'll be getting a full tower case, looks like 3 way CFX. But that's if these prices are correct.

Those prices are fake as $139 7850 would be lower price than the released 7770. That is just not realistic. The 7870 will be around $299 and the 7850 should be $199. AMD may change prices at the last minute but the leak I posted has a verifiable leak source. Expressview is a china site that gets info from inside sources.
http://www.custompcreview.com/2012/02/20/amd-radeon-hd-...
m
0
l
February 20, 2012 11:37:43 PM

yea figured that would be the case. If it's to good to be true, it's not. So, looking to get a little extra on my build. What do you guys think I could get on ebay for an early 2011 MPB 15" i7 2.0 GHz Perfect condition, with copy of office, original box, and os install CD. Or do you know of a place I could find out.
m
0
l
February 20, 2012 11:55:13 PM

mrwhit30ut said:
Lokster where can I find the ad describing the CPU + Motherboard combo at microcenter?


I would call the microcenter you have 15 min away and just ask, not sure where it is advertised online, but it is an in store deal only
m
0
l
February 21, 2012 2:57:53 AM

Yea thanks, I found the ad on their site. I think it is like $40 off or something. Now Should I buy a better MoBo with that extra $40? or upgrade somewhere else?
m
0
l
February 21, 2012 10:46:08 AM

mrwhit30ut said:
Yea thanks, I found the ad on their site. I think it is like $40 off or something. Now Should I buy a better MoBo with that extra $40? or upgrade somewhere else?


Is that 40 off the mobo? plus the 20 from the cpu? I would keep that mobo, I have it right now and love it. I guess the only area I could see you upgrading is to the 7970, otherwise you look good to go. You could always save the cash or buy a nice gaming keyboard, mouse, extra fans or a game.

Could you link your PSU, is that a modular or non? Thinking you could save a bit of cash there too.
m
0
l
February 21, 2012 11:20:55 AM

mrwhit30ut said:
PSU Link Silverstone ST850


Ah nvm, I was looking at a previous post with a Corsair PSU, I must of missed when you updated to the Silverstone.
m
0
l
February 21, 2012 1:54:12 PM

So how does this build look? With 7970 cause I saved much. When I water Cool it I am going to put some blue florescent coloring, SHE SHALL BE CALLED "Black Ice"

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($194.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Corsair Force Series GT 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($553.39 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 Black ATX Full Tower Case ($164.49 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($131.98 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222AB DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1485.79
Microcenter Combo: -$40
Tentative Total: $1445.79

Oh and I will definitely not be buying the case from Amazon.
m
0
l
February 21, 2012 1:59:39 PM

^+1 Looks good to me, you should have a ton of fun with that bad boy.

Only thing I would add is some after market thermal paste, not sure what comes with the 212+ but you can get come really good stuff for <$10
m
0
l
February 21, 2012 2:09:19 PM

What would you suggest, I've heard the AS5 takes a lot of breaking in and all.
m
0
l
February 21, 2012 2:31:01 PM

my question is why not run with 2 7950s and overclock them yourself 900$ to 1000$ instead of going right to 1150$ for 2 7970s just a thought i'm not good at building pc's myself just a suggestion i heard was a good idea.
m
0
l
February 21, 2012 3:39:02 PM

striker410 said:
Looks very good.

AS5 is good, so is MX-2/MX-4. I personally prefer Masscool Shin Etsu, it's much cheaper and doesn't take forever to cure like AS5. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Those are very good thermal greases. I have used all 4 and Shin Etsu is my choice for personal use. Systems I build for others tho I stick to AS5 as it lasts forever where as the other thermal greases should be reapplied. AS5 just never breaks down over time is its one great advantage point.
m
0
l
!