Sign in with
Your question

New budget system or upgrade old gamer? $500?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 18, 2012 7:48:15 PM

Hi,

Thanks for this brilliant forum!

I just realized that my old gamer from 2005 is outdated with its 2 gigs of ram.
I'll just list up what I got to work with.

MSI K8N Diamond
Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
Hiper Type-R 580W
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
2 x XFX GeForce 7800GTX

Just changed out my dual 78hundreds with a single GTS250, and it kills me to experience that the GTS250 is a budget card and is way better than my old setup.

As I stated, I need an upgrade. The choices is to upgrade my current system with an aftermarket cooler and do some overclocking and buying 4 gigs of ram. As I write this Prime95 is running for checking my 10% overclock with stock cooler. But I came over an issue. After one hour of torture the second core will always fail. But the first core is still running strong after several hours. I think it is because of the poor stock cooler and uneven thermal paste. Because the temperate difference between the cores is always around 10 C degrees whether they are at 10% load or 100%. After one hour with torture the temperatures are 50C on core one and 60C on core two at 2.2Ghz (10%OC).

If this issue would be fixed with an aftermarket cooler it would be great, but hard to say anyway.

The other issue is that I only got 2 gigs of ram, and today 4 gigs have to be the least. My motherboards max is 4 gigs and is thinking about buying the best quality DDRs for sale today, but that is not cheap. About $120 from Newegg for 4 Gb G.Skill.

So that was my thought on my current system. Should I go for the upgrades or buy a new one?

If you think its a waste of money and time, a new budget system may be better and more reliable.
I am a student, money is not really an issue, but I hate to spend more than I actually need.
PS3 and XBOX360 is for gaming. But I am a heavy user, multitasking a lot. And most of all, I love stability and silence (and Metal, ironic?).

Hope this wasn't to much, I'd love to get some help choosing.

-JS, Norway

More about : budget system upgrade gamer 500

February 18, 2012 8:00:43 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: +/- $500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: General usage, multitasking

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, gfx, hdd, case

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Parts Preferences: Intel?

Overclocking: If its needed

SLI or Crossfire: SLI, if any

Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Quite and stable are priorities
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2012 8:11:31 PM

I don't think Newegg ships internationally. I know Swedish so I'm sure I can navigate a Norwegian site if you'll link me to where you're buying from.
February 18, 2012 8:16:41 PM

I just picked Newegg for references.
But if you are so kind to look at komplett.no, they even have a swedish site komplett.se.

Thanks a bunch!

I just realized that $500 may be a little weak, I don't know.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2012 8:40:42 PM

Asus H61 mobo
http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=631267
i3
http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=626705
8 GB RAM
http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=599037
PSU (you could probably use your old one?)
http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=635832

That's only 2500 kronor so I'm thinking you could go for a faster CPU, update your GPU if you want to play games or get an SSD. Especially if you can reuse the old PSU.

EDIT: I should probably mention that for "general use" i3 is going to be fast as lightning.
February 18, 2012 8:52:13 PM

Thank you!

Looks pretty good, but the motherboard doesn't really allow further upgrades.
But that is not an issue if the setup will work for some years.

As you say, I may use my old PSU, that I love! Because its modular, and cable management is important. But until recently its began to make an annoying noise. Its like an electric buzz when the computer is turned off. But I can use it until it pops dead. I also thought that an 8-pin ATX connector was a standard, which my PSU don't have, and neither the motherboard you linked, perfect.

I need a new CD-room too, since my current one is an IDE.

And you mentioned SSD, I love SSD's, got one in my laptop. But my stationary can wait, got a Raptor, but it has only SATA. Maybe I should upgrade to a SATA3?
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2012 9:00:30 PM

jonaskul said:
Thank you!

Looks pretty good, but the motherboard doesn't really allow further upgrades.
But that is not an issue if the setup will work for some years.

As you say, I may use my old PSU, that I love! Because its modular, and cable management is important. But until recently its began to make an annoying noise. Its like an electric buzz when the computer is turned off. But I can use it until it pops dead. I also thought that an 8-pin ATX connector was a standard, which my PSU don't have, and neither the motherboard you linked, perfect.

I need a new CD-room too, since my current one is an IDE.

And you mentioned SSD, I love SSD's, got one in my laptop. But my stationary can wait, got a Raptor, but it has only SATA. Maybe I should upgrade to a SATA3?

I'm sure it'll work for years, Sandy Bridge is such a powerful architecture. The motherboard does allow upgrading all the way to i7 though, so I'm not sure what you mean. It's not like you need an i7 for general use anyway. Well, I guess it depends on what you define general use as.

What brand and model is your current PSU?

An optical drive is only $20 so that's quite insignificant. Sata3 isn't worth it, especially not for mechanical drives. An SSD would make your desktop snappier but it's by no means a necessity; just throwing ideas really. Since you're not gaming the money saved from not buying GPU automatically goes towards an SSD in my mind 8-)
February 18, 2012 9:08:50 PM

I don't know what I was thinking, just throwing it out I guess. (about the upgrading)

My PSU (http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=309565)
Funny, reading the reviews now, and people are describing the same noises that I have now, I think its going to die pretty soon.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2012 9:19:45 PM

If you feel like it's dying then maybe you should consider getting a new one. Up to you.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2012 9:30:51 PM

Yeah, it's great.
February 18, 2012 9:47:39 PM

Do you know if the integrated HD2000 is any better than my GTS250?
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2012 9:51:24 PM

Certainly not. The GTS250 is by no means high end but it's still miles ahead Intel's integrated graphics.
February 18, 2012 9:58:21 PM

Ok, cool, thanks! I am really close to an order here. Just doing some research if H67 supports Ivy Bridge, if I ever wanna do a CPU upgrade. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155

P67 looks tempting, but I don't see any need for it unless I have an K-processor.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2012 10:02:06 PM

jonaskul said:
Ok, cool, thanks! I am really close to an order here. Just doing some research if H67 supports Ivy Bridge, if I ever wanna do a CPU upgrade. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155

P67 looks tempting, but I don't see any need for it unless I have an K-processor.

I don't think there's any official word yet on Ivy and what chipsets it's going to support.
February 18, 2012 10:54:15 PM

Think I wanna add a Samsung 830 SSD, 64 gig.
Any thoughts?
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2012 11:09:15 PM

It's a superb part.
February 19, 2012 2:18:56 AM

i3 2120 112.99 with promo code EMCNHJC32
gigabyte mobo 64.99
8 gb ram at 1600 mhz 37.99
amd 7770 ghz edition overclocked 179.99
total= $395.96
reuse case psu dvd...
reccommend buying a ocz vertex 3 max iops for 209.99 it will make your total at 605.99
February 19, 2012 2:54:15 AM

Looks like plenty of advice here.

But, an upgrade will def be a better long-term solution. It'll allow for cheaper, DDR3 memory...and a faster, cooler processor.

That said, I just upgraded a similar system (DIY system with Athlon x2 6400 BE, 2GB Corsair XMS 6400, ati 3850) by doubling my memory - scoured ebay for same brand and timing, found 2GB for $25, I think - and getting a 64GB SSD OS Drive, steam apps and games installed on older hdd, and upgrading to windows 7, finally.

I'm happy with my purchase and could probably get a new graphics card in a year or so to hold me over for another year or two. But, I'm only an occasional gamer these days.

Good luck!
February 19, 2012 2:55:07 AM

^^ I mean a system upgrade for long-term. Or, new system. Sorry if I was confusing.
February 19, 2012 9:37:40 AM

Thanks for alle the response, guys!

I found a bundle for $333 that includes CPU, motherboard and RAM.
Intel® Core™ i3-2100 Processor, Socket-LGA1155, Dual Core, 3.1Ghz, 3MB, 65W, Boxed w/fan
ASUS P8Z68-V LX, Socket-1155 ATX, Z68, DDR3, 2xPCIe(2.0)x16, SATA 6Gb/s, USB3.0, VGA, DVI, HDMI, UEFI
Corsair Vengeance™ DDR3 1600MHz 4GB CL9, 4GB XMS3 module, CL9-9-9-24, 1.5V, Vengeance Heatspreader, 240 pin

And for good measure, they have also included an anti-static arm chain.

Its from a Norwegian site, so I don't bother posting the links. But I figured its a decent deal, its about $20 in rebates. The Z68 will allow me to do some upgrades along the path with more memory and expansion. But I read that it supports dual channel memory, but there is only one module in the bundle, should I add one more?

Thanks again, I will order in the end of this Sunday.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 19, 2012 11:00:31 AM

jonaskul said:

alll models if 1155 motherboard will support ivy bridge with a bios upgrade from Z689 down to H61
a b B Homebuilt system
February 19, 2012 11:20:46 AM

jonaskul said:
Thanks for alle the response, guys!

I found a bundle for $333 that includes CPU, motherboard and RAM.
Intel® Core™ i3-2100 Processor, Socket-LGA1155, Dual Core, 3.1Ghz, 3MB, 65W, Boxed w/fan
ASUS P8Z68-V LX, Socket-1155 ATX, Z68, DDR3, 2xPCIe(2.0)x16, SATA 6Gb/s, USB3.0, VGA, DVI, HDMI, UEFI
Corsair Vengeance™ DDR3 1600MHz 4GB CL9, 4GB XMS3 module, CL9-9-9-24, 1.5V, Vengeance Heatspreader, 240 pin

And for good measure, they have also included an anti-static arm chain.

Its from a Norwegian site, so I don't bother posting the links. But I figured its a decent deal, its about $20 in rebates. The Z68 will allow me to do some upgrades along the path with more memory and expansion. But I read that it supports dual channel memory, but there is only one module in the bundle, should I add one more?

Thanks again, I will order in the end of this Sunday.

I wouldn't worry about dual channel, it's only a couple of percent difference in speed.
!