Pearlmam

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011

bw85

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
I hate that I can't see these cases in person before I make my selection. Have you had any issues at all with the 900?

EDIT: I also think I would prefer to stick with a full-size tower, just to be on the safe side as far as future expanding and cooling goes. With this being my first ever custom-designed my computer, I want to do as much research on the cases as I can.

Pearlmam

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
Not really. A few issues:

1. The fans have a 3 speed switch on them, which is nice; however the switches are on the inside of the case. With a little bit off finagling, I snaked them all out without cutting a hole in the case. The top fan was difficult because of the snapping mechanism on the top part.

2. Placing the inner mount for a fan, in the Lower HD bay, kind of gets in the way of my SATA ports, but they fit. Taking them in or out is a pain, though.

3. Cable management is OK and I wish it was better. This is my only case and I really have nothing to compare it to, so I don't know if it gets any better. This may be a nice advantage of a bigger case, but at the cost of size and price. This problem is nothing that cant be solved in the smaller case.

Other than these minor issues, the case runs very cool. The side panel is also easy to take off. Its not a door like the cooler master, but two bolts that can be removed by hand.

bw85

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
I had another post, but it seems like this one gets quicker traffic:

Motherboard
Asus Z77 Sabertooth; I believe it is fast now, and somewhat future proof (at least for a few years).

Processor
INTEL i5-3570K Quad Core

Video Card
EVGA GeForce GTX 670 (will be playing mostly Diablo 3, but also have interest in StarCraft 2, the new SimCity when it releases, watching movies in true HD, and general Office programs and Internet browsing).

Memory
Crucial 8gb (2 X 4gb) 1600MHz; I believe this will be fast enough for what I need, and with the MoBo, have PLENTY of room for upgrading in the future.

Thermal Compound
Arctic Cooling MX-4; better safe than sorry? Or, is it necessary?

Cooling
Corsair H80 Hydro; if this is closed-loop, there is little maintenance and with general care, very little chance for punctures or defects, right?

Case
Cooler Master HAF X; why the hell not?! She's a beast!

SATA Hard Drive
Crucial 128gb M4 SSD (without transfer); with this machine being built for speed, it really seems like a no-brainer here.

Storage Device
Western Digital 500gb Caviar Blue; I may upgrade to a 1TB, just to be more future-proof, but not sure yet. Also, what is the difference between the Caviar Blue, Green, etc.?

Power Supply
Cooler Master Silent Pro M 850w; should be enough juice.

I am pretty set on all of the components, but am not dead-set on the case yet. It seems like the HAF X has gotten some of the best reviews out there. I am not sure if the bad reviews are isolated incidents, or if they are more profound. Also, with this case designed for airflow, how important would a closed-loop liquid cooling system benefit me? Instead of a closed-loop, should I upgrade the CPU cooler?

Pearlmam

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011

I understand your concern, But I really don't know why gamers need 5 5.25 inch drive bays on the top. The 900 is plenty big for what I have.

2 3.5 inch HDs
2 2.5 inch SSD
1 DVD player

I still have extra slots that wont really get in the way of cooling, And I don't ever think I'll need more stuff. The 900 will be fine IMO. Maybe someone with a bigger case can tell you why you need the extra space. Anybody? I'm open to suggestions.

bw85

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
I actually looked into that one, too. Did you see the specs of the computer I'd like to build? I'm not sure if any of that will have any bearing on which case I should ultimately decide on.

Pearlmam

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
long as the CPU cooler fits, it doesn't matter what case you get.

Some MOBOS may fit better in certain cases, but thats a hard thing to gauge from the net. Placement of SATA ports, where the North/South bridge, RAM can help the airflow of the case. I don't think this is as big of an issue as with mini computers. For example: the SATA cables may be placed in front of a fan of that case. If that bothers you, get a new motherboard or a new case with better placement of fans for that MOBO. Very Minor issues.

bw85

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Right on, thanks man! I, for whatever reason, cannot seem to pull away from the HAF X. I almost feel "fanboyish" about it, even though every case I have ever owned has had a Dell logo stamped across it.

I'm really not sure if I would need liquid cooling, or if the fans will be enough. I plan on playing Diablo 3, maybe Starcraft 2, the new SimCity when it comes out, as well as possibly watching movies and general Office programs and net browsing. I can't imagine the computer getting excessively hot if I am not playing games like Battlefield 3 or MW3 on Ultra settings.

bw85

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Even moreso than the HAF series? I haven't really heard anything of Silverstone, I'm just surprised it hasn't popped up in my research lol

EDIT: Can it fit Corsair Hydro H80, or is liquid cooling not necessarily needed?

Pearlmam

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
The silverstone i linked, offers the best air cooling possible.

That case seems cool as hell. I like the concept. Your statement, however, is meaningless without proof. I would be mildly concerned about the HD bay cooling, and about dust from the ground. I am strongly concerned about the GPU getting in the way of airflow. And if you have dual GPUs, the top one may be neglected a little bit. This is where the lateral air flow seems better.

Only testing will tell...

EDIT: I see how the GPU sits. Good pics. That seems pretty nice.

Pearlmam

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
ATM, I can't really see a problem with that case. Do you have any issues, Recon? Those GPU temps are good, but they aren't much better than my temps. I have a GTX560 clocked about the same and similar voltage. The CPU temps blow mine out of the water, but that is a liquid cooled.

bw85

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
I would be worried that by adding a bigger, or too many more fans would screw up that pressure, which would lead them to battle each other more than provide airflow.

Uther39

Distinguished
+1 for the RV02,
I have the FT02,
The RV02 is the poor mans FT02 but with the same cooling ability (no dig intended), these cases are quite simply the best air cooled cases around, oh and dust is no issue as all fans are filtered.

bw85

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Is the Raven really that much better? It still hasn't seemed to come up in many research topics, if any, other than this one. Are there any flaws with it? And charts that show cooling numbers compared to other cases? Will it fit all onthe components I have selected?

rufus_22

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
The raven is a good case .. The logic behind it is sound ( ie. heat rises ) The problem with some cases is the conflicting airflow created by a gazillion fans mounted in all possible locations .. A strong , uninterrupted airflow front to rear or in the case of the raven bottom to top showed the best results . There was a study done ( That I'm sure someone will post ) breaking down the pro's and cons of all configurations . Also , and I say this from experience , if your not purchasing till august your going to go back and forth on your decision many times .. Read reviews and remember youtube is your friend .. happy hunting :)

bw85

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Yeah, I think I have narrowed it down among the Cooler Master HAF X, Storm Trooper, and the Silverstone Raven. I suppose I am not too concerned with the vertical MoBo (I know some people prefer things the traditional way), so I can totally understand the the intake is from the bottom and expelled through the top. Which case has more interior room to work around in and offers more space for expanding?

Pearlmam

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
I agree with Rufus. The airflow all in one direction is key in my tests/experience. Front to back in my case and bottom to top in the Raven. One concern I have is the lack of exhaust fans in the Raven. More exhaust fans would make a negative pressure case, the Raven is a positive pressure case. I'm not sure which is better. I read a study, which I cant find ATM, the concluded that exhaust fans were preferable. I'm sure there are studies that show the opposite, but I have not seen them.

It's a tough decision, I'm glad I don't need a case right now.