vecaapiile1

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Hello, my friend got me a new video card, it's ati radeon hd 3800 series, but when i put it in my pc i noticed a huge problem. It's overheating really fast, and got some blue screens already. It runs about 70 degrees celsius with 50% fan speed at idle, but when i want to play some games it's hitting 100 degrees in about 5 minutes, even though the game is really old and gpu is much more capable than that. so i dont know what the problem could be. i would appreciate alot if you guys could help.
My pc specs are:
CPU:Intel pentium 4 630 3.00 Ghz
Motherboard:ASUS P5LD2
Ram: DDR2 1 gig
GPU: ati radeon hd 3800 series
two 250 gig HDD's not sure of the rpm
CD/DVD-RW rom

PSU:HEC-300AR-PTF
AC input:230Vac 50Hz 5A
DC output:+3,3v +5v +12v -5v -12v +5Vsb
Max.A 28A 30A 15A 0.5A 0.8A 2A +5v&+3.3V combined 180W
Total output 300W
P.S. I think the fault is in the PSU, but could lack of power really cause the GPU to overheat?

tlmck

Distinguished
It could, but you also have a very hot CPU, and you did not mention what type of case you have. Is there adequate cooling(i.e. - a fan blowing outward toward the rear?).

In any case, that PSU will likely not last very long as it is being maxed out most of the time. My advise would be to get a new PSU with at least 450 watts and 30 amps on the +12 volt rail. The HEC PSUs are actually pretty good, it is just that that one was not designed for what you are trying to do. I would look at Antec or Corsair. I am sure you can find a decent deal.

vecaapiile1

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011

Tnx for the advice, but i dont think it's the case, because the side of the case is open so it must have a good ventilation:D.
And how could you tell that my cpu is hot, because i dont know that myself, because i cant read the temp on it. I dont think it has a thermometer.

vecaapiile1

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
So i downloaded HWmonitor and it reads that my cpu temp is around 45 degrees at idle, seems ok to me. However the gpu is still at 70 degrees idle, so the only solution i can find is upgrading my psu.
What do you guys think, would it solve my problem?

1st like tlmck said buy a good psu with 450W/30A. Because combination with your HD3800s, cpu, HDs, and all you PC stuff, the power consumption is easy over 300W besides your PSU' efficiency only 72%.

Then you can also take off the fan of the HD3800s, remove the old thermal paste, re-apply with the new one.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhlq7akKclQ

If that can cool down your HD3800s, then you is done. If it can't, you need buy the VGA cooling fan to cool down the HD3800s.