Sign in with
Your question

Buying a HP Compaq XW6200 can I add parts?

Last response: in Systems
February 18, 2012 8:51:08 PM

Hi guys

I am a bit of a noob at PCs especially when it comes to compatibility and motherboards. I was looking for a computer on ebay and stumbled upon this computer:

Specs:
HP Compaq XW6200
Intel Xeon 3.4Ghz (+1free socket)
1024MB Ram
160GB Harddrive
2x CDRW/DVD-Rom Combo Drive
Windows XP Pro preloaded (With Genuine COA)
10/100 RJ45 Network
8x USB2.0 Sockets
4x PCI Expansion Slot
PCI-Express Socket
256MB Nvidia FX3400 Graphics Card
Onboard Sound
Parrallel & Serial Ports

Now, I'm aiming for a mid range gaming pc, and I know the RAM/Hard drive/GPU are pretty much insufficient.
Is it possible for me to take these parts out and replace them with newer/better parts such as a GTX 460 and 4GB RAM? ( in the case of the Hard drive put another one in as a slave- I think they are called ).

Thanks in advance! :) 
February 18, 2012 11:03:47 PM

You want to try and use this for gaming? Xeon was used for servers. 1gb of ram is worthless. A 160gb hdd is worthless. XP will shortly not be supported. The graphics card is worse than onboard on new systems. I hope its not more than $150 and then I wouldn't buy it. If you want to game stay away from this and save your money.

You need $500 to get into a basic system now so perhaps you can share your budget?
February 18, 2012 11:29:24 PM

QuietPC said:
You want to try and use this for gaming? Xeon was used for servers. 1gb of ram is worthless. A 160gb hdd is worthless. XP will shortly not be supported. The graphics card is worse than onboard on new systems. I hope its not more than $150 and then I wouldn't buy it. If you want to game stay away from this and save your money.

You need $500 to get into a basic system now so perhaps you can share your budget?

Ah right thanks for warning me, it was 100 pounds.
I did a bit of research on xeon processors and I gathered that they are usable with games , just not overclockable(which I do not want to do anyway). I guess not?

my budget is low :(  like 250 pounds max. However, I would be happy with a core system now that I can upgrade in the future ( no GPU other than onboard- that kind of thing) I can always add a GPU ( maybe Kepler) in the future and add RAM. My main concern at the moment is being able to power and run things faster than my Dell dimension 3000, which is literally getting into the coffin now. And also a future proof Motherboard to add things. Any ideas?

Thanks

February 19, 2012 8:49:15 PM

Do you have any parts that you can reuse or perhaps friends can give you? If yes then please list them with the details so we can consider whether they are useful or not. If there is a way to reuse parts we can do a better job getting to your price point. Can I assume that 250 pounds will be around $350-$375 USD?
!