WinXP Pro on two networks?

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
I would be very pleased if somebody provide me with something to ensure that a single WinXP Pro box (or Win2K Pro, not a Server) would work with two network cards on two independent networks (with different IP addresses, subnet masks) simultaneously.
I would be also happy if somebody with enough power were able to disapprove or ruin this idea.

Or it is only possible with the Internet Connection Sharing? What about without the sharing?

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
You can run two different NICS with two different IP's on the samw or two different networks. As a matter of fact you can run two different IP's SIMULTANEOUSLY on ONE nic if you want to. You can even run two nics, two IP's, two networks and provide routing between them.

See MS kbase article Q274141

:)

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
OK, I’ve read the MS’s article, and it says:
<i><font color=green>“…Windows 2000 supports routing on both single- and multi-homed computers with or without the Routing and Remote Access Service(RRAS). RRAS includes the Routing Information Protocol (RIP) and the Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) routing protocols. Routers can use RIP or OSPF to dynamically exchange routing information… MORE INFORMATION: …”</font color=green></i>

But when I look at the reference articles (the Q178993 and other), they show:
<i>”The information in this article applies to:
· Microsoft Windows 2000 <b>Server</b>, <b>Advanced Server</b> or NT <b>Server</b> …”</i> ,
there’s no Windows Professional mentioned there.

I bought a Windows 2000 Professional book with the CD, and when I do the search on the terms from the MS’s articles, I always get sentences related to the Server (in my Win2K <b>Pro</b> book!!! F>%^!), like this:

<i>“…You can configure a Windows 2000 <b>Server</b> to act as a router by installing two or more network cards in the <b>Server</b>, ...” </i>

WTF????? I don’t care about servers in this Pro book, I need some info on <b>Pro</b> only. Whenever I do the search on the web, I am only able to find messages from suffering people begging for help and replies that it’s impossible with the Pro, but possible with the Server….

I got confused with the info in the MS’s articles and in my book. :mad:

Is there any article or a book, explaining how it works on Windows <b>Pro</b>, not exclusively with a Server?