Sign in with
Your question

I need cooling help!!!!

Last response: in Components
June 5, 2012 8:53:55 PM

Ok, so I'm building a gaming computer and I've decided all the parts I'm going to get except the cooling system. I need help figuring out which kind of cooling to get (air, water, liquid) and once I figure that out I also need help help deciding weather to get a pre-made kit or to build it myself, getting the parts separately. Here is a list of the parts that are going to be in my computer

-CPU-Intel Core i7-3930k
-Motherboard-ASUS P9X79 Pro
-RAM-Corsair Vengeance, 4 sets of 16gb dual channel DDR3 memory
-Hard Drives-2 Western Digital Velociraptors 1TB
-Graphics Card- EVGA GeForce GTX 580
-Monitors-3 HP 2511x 25-inch LED monitors synced together
-Case-Bitfenix Colossus Venom
-PSU-Silverstone Strider Gold ST85F-G 850W modular power supply
-Sound Card-ASUS Xonar DX PCie 7.1 sound card
-Keyboard-Logitech G19
-Mouse-Logitech G700
-Optical Drive-LG 22X Super-Multiple DVD-Writer
-Operating System-Windows 7 Ultimate

I don't have a budget for this computer so i want to get the best of the best. Any help is welcome

More about : cooling

June 6, 2012 8:20:49 AM

What's your plan for Overclocking?
Related resources
June 6, 2012 8:50:23 PM

i wasn't really planing on overclocking right away but i figured i would need water or liquid cooling because im using 3 monitors, 2 hard drives and, 64gb of RAM
June 6, 2012 11:30:32 PM

You don't need liquid cooling and it has no bearing on monitors, hard drives, or RAM. BTW, the closed loop ALC systems like the H80 aren't "really" liquid cooling.

A good air cooler will do you just fine. I really like the towers from Noctua, as they are efficient and quiet. They are expensive though.

I do agree with reading that Tom's article about coolers. Great article. The other thing is a unit like the H80 or H100 will match temps of the high end coolers, but do it a lot louder. They are smaller though.

Definitely consider getting low profile RAM. Corsair makes a low profile Vengeance line, BTW.

If you're getting best of the best, ditch your GTX580. The GTX680 and 670 are out, as well as all of AMD's HD7XXX series. Look at those for your GPU.
June 7, 2012 12:19:56 AM

avenged_guitarist said:
i wasn't really planing on overclocking right away but i figured i would need water or liquid cooling because im using 3 monitors, 2 hard drives and, 64gb of RAM

If you are not overclocking, the stock cooler is fine. Take heed of dannoddd's advice about the GTX580 & consider the 679 or 680. They are the cutting edge of graphics card today & better match the rest of your components. If you have chosen the i7-3930k platform for gaming instead of the more cost effective i5-2500K, the money is most probably no object.
June 7, 2012 5:52:00 PM

this may seem like a really noobish question but what do you have to do to overclock a computer again? i completly forgot
June 7, 2012 7:06:23 PM

CPU frequency is determined by base clock times multiplier (Bclk*X)
With an unlocked multiplier "K" series, you raise the multiplier and use programs like Prime95 or Intel Burn Test to test for stability. If you blue screen, lock up, or crash, you need to stabilize voltages, but very carefully raising those.

Heat is the enemy, so an overclocked processor is the balance between speed, voltage and temp.

If you're on a Non-K processor, you have to raise the Bclk, but usually can only get about 5mhz from that, if lucky.
!