Comp turns on then off 2-3 secs

chrisgbut

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
System Build:

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower

BIOSTAR A880G+ AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

XFX HD-677X-ZNLC Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16

CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

Stock CPU cooler - CPU isn't unlocked or overclocked

I went on a 2 day trip, no storms or anything while i'm gone, and when I came back I went to go turn on my comp and i shocked it. I was on my bed when i kind of slid off of it and immediately touch the power button and the shock occured. So now whenever I turn the computer on it turns on the fans (3 case fans, gpu fan, psu fans and the lights) but 1-2 secs later it just turns off. It also turns right on if I unplug my psu and then plug it back in. Or if it set it to 0 and let it turn off then switch it back to 1 it turns on automatically. The power and reset buttons aren't working.

Yesterday I did a few tests: Ram swapping, only 24 pin and 4 pin to mobo, reset cmos, battery and taking gpu out.. all with the same out come. Since the day I got the parts from newegg the psu has been making a buzzing/low frequency sound so I thought that the psu finally died so I sent it back to the company for an RMA. Although today i took my girlfriend's psu out of her comp and hooked it up to mine and the same thing is happening so I guess the psu wasn't the problem but it needed to be replaced anyways. I'm not entirely sure what to do now.

I'm guessing the only other things that could be wrong are the cpu or motherboard. The computer hasn't been moved so I dont think anything is shorting the mobo but I'm not ruling it out.. I've checked and checked again! What do you guys and gals think?

striker410

Distinguished
Woah woah woah. Did your PC shock you? That sir, is no bueno.

Leave the computer alone for now. What PSU do you have? Did you see sparks, or anything else? Was there any smoke or odd noises?

To me, it sounds like the PSU went out and took the motherboard with it. This is what happens when you buy low quality power supplies.

chrisgbut

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
No, I believe I shocked the computer. I was getting up from my bed and slide across it to get to my desk which probably caused a static build. The first thing I touch after getting off my bed was my pc. No smoke or odd noises besides the low frequency/humming that the psu has been making since I got it in October.

The psu I bought is: CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

From the reviews on newegg and corsair's rep it doesn't seem, to me at least, to be a low quality psu.

I sent the psu back to the manufacturer and hopefully a new one will arrive soon, within a week.

My questions are:

What is my next step in troubleshooting?

Should I hook the new psu up when I get it and see if that does the trick? I don't think it will considering I tried my Girlfriend's 500w power supply and the same symptoms were happening.

Should I just RMA my mobo now and hope that it was the problem?

catatafish

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Yes, wait for the new PSU. Then remove the power-on connection to your PC case and do an external start. Just the power to the mobo, memory, CPU, cpu cooler, and a connection to your monitor. If you don't have a mobo connection to a monitor, just skip that and listen for POST beeps. Double check the PSU fan is spinning.

In other words, you're testing to see if the PC case power on button/connection is shorting.

If it POSTs and your CPU fan spins and it stays powered on, then just start hooking up one thing at a time until you find the culprit.