What Graphics card can my Computer Take?

Hello,
I have a dell Optiplex gx280 Small Form Factor. What kind o fgraphics card can i take if i have 160W PSU, 2GB Ram and Intel Pentium 4 CPU @3.00GHz
Here is some more info on the PCI Slots:
Expansion Bus

Bus type

PCI 2.2
SATA 1.0a
USB 2.0
PCI Express 1.0a

Bus speed

PCI: 33 MHz
SATA: 1.5 Gbps
USB: 480 Mbps
PCI Express x1: 5 Gbps
PCI Express x16: 80 Gbps

Small Form-Factor computer

low-profile cards supported
Could you please help me
20 answers Last reply
More about what graphics card computer take
  1. Sorry, but you WILL have to upgrade the PSU if you want a graphics card. Also your system has reached it's age. The processor is 10 years old, and it won't run any new games, unfortunately. Not only new games, but also games released in the past 5 years.
  2. Sunius said:
    Sorry, but you WILL have to upgrade the PSU if you want a graphics card. Also your system has reached it's age. The processor is 10 years old, and it won't run any new games, unfortunately. Not only new games, but also games released in the past 5 years.

    i dotn care about the processor but what si the newest graphics card that it can take.
  3. Sunius said:
    Sorry, but you WILL have to upgrade the PSU if you want a graphics card. Also your system has reached it's age. The processor is 10 years old, and it won't run any new games, unfortunately. Not only new games, but also games released in the past 5 years.

    all i want to play is counter striek source and Minecraft
  4. with a 160W PSU - nothing can be upgraded

    get a new PSU, check the newegg bestsellers,

    or the amazon best sellers, pick one

    and get a good budget card

    good direct x 10 budget cards -,9500gt m 9600gt, 9800gt, gts 250,

    direct x 11 budget cards - gt 430, gt 440, gt 520, gts 450


    Upgrade your CPU too. what socket is it ?
  5. Then you'll have to upgrade the PSU as well. It won't work otherwise. Where do you live and what's your budget?
  6. oh, it's a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_775

    buy a cheap quad core processor from that list

    buy a xigmatek loki cpu cooler or small zalman cooler

    get the new CPU,

    add both to your motherboard
  7. fuggles said:
    with a 160W PSU - nothing can be upgraded

    get a new PSU, check the newegg bestsellers,

    or the amazon best sellers, pick one

    and get a good budget card

    good direct x 10 budget cards -,9500gt m 9600gt, 9800gt, gts 250,

    direct x 11 budget cards - gt 430, gt 440, gt 520, gts 450


    Upgrade your CPU too. what socket is it ?

    I will upgrade the PSU. how many wats do i think i should have and also i dont know what socket but here is my computer info: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2157265
  8. Sunius said:
    Then you'll have to upgrade the PSU as well. It won't work otherwise. Where do you live and what's your budget?

    here is my computer info: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2157265
    Live in the UK
  9. fuggles said:
    oh, it's a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_775

    buy a cheap quad core processor from that list

    buy a xigmatek loki cpu cooler or small zalman cooler

    get the new CPU,

    add both to your motherboard

    my socket is 775 LGA
  10. 300w would cover the cards recommended by fuggles 250w would too but its hard to find a quality 250w.
  11. farrengottu said:
    300w would cover the cards recommended by fuggles 250w would too but its hard to find a quality 250w.

    what kind of GPU should i have also what graphics card can you get to play counter strike source with a 160 wat psu
  12. i would get a radeon 5670. the single core pentium 4 can actually drive it quite well. heres proof. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSp9mpKvSOw

    and heres a cheap radeon 5670.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127600
    it is compatible with your pci-e 16x v1.0 slot that you have
  13. farrengottu said:
    i would get a radeon 5670. the single core pentium 4 can actually drive it quite well. heres proof. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSp9mpKvSOw

    and heres a cheap radeon 5670.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127600
    it is compatible with your pci-e 16x v1.0 slot that you have

    so can it run on a 160w PSU
  14. No it cannot. Tell us your budget. You need at least 300W QUALITY PSU. Or 500W any PSU, but I wouldn't buy that.

    So once again, we cannot help unless you tell us how much you're willing to spend.
  15. Sunius said:
    No it cannot. Tell us your budget. You need at least 300W QUALITY PSU. Or 500W any PSU, but I wouldn't buy that.

    So once again, we cannot help unless you tell us how much you're willing to spend.

    i am willing to spend £200
  16. Sunius said:
    No it cannot. Tell us your budget. You need at least 300W QUALITY PSU. Or 500W any PSU, but I wouldn't buy that.

    So once again, we cannot help unless you tell us how much you're willing to spend.

    Where abouts can i get a 300W psu compatible with my PC
  17. spend 50 on the PSU

    40 on the graphics card

    You could upgrade your CPU too but you don't need to , to play counter strike.


    Are you going to play the new counter strike game coming out soon ?
  18. AMazon.co.uk


    ebuyer
  19. Could you open your PC and measure the diameters of your current PSU? That would give us an idea of what to recommend.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards PCI PCI Express Graphics Product