Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking For A Case

Last response: in Components
June 5, 2012 11:15:47 PM

So yeah. I'm planning on building my own rig but I have a problem, since I'm a newbie at this I have no Idea what case I should use. I know that it should be a full tower, but there are so many crazy designs and that kind of stuff that it's intimidating for me :o  .

Basically, what I want is a full tower case that is as easy to use as possible when installing the computer parts. I don't need fancy shmancy designs or lights (why would I look at the case while using the computer?), although if a case is newb-friendly and has those things then that would be just fine.
I'm using the computer primarily for gaming and web browsing but also to store pics and movies etc.

Here are the components I plan on using:
Intel i7-2700k
NZXT Havik 140 CPU Cooler
Asus Maximum IV Extreme MOBO
G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2133
(2x) Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB 7200RPM (3.5") (I plan on configuring them to RAID 0)
EVGA GeForce GTX 680
ToPower 800W ATX12V Power Supply
ASUS Xonar DGX 5.1 Sound Card

Those are the components that I have decided so far. They are all subject to change though. If you have any critics then please go ahead. If you notice any incompatibilities then pointing them out would be great. But my main concern is what case I should get that makes installation as easy as possible. Also, I am unsure on what optical drive I should use. If one is built into the case then that would be great. Blu-ray isn't exactly necessary but I'd prefer one with blu-ray.

Also, the most I'd spend on a case is $300.

Final thing. I plan on using a Turtle Beach Earforce z6a headset and I hear that it has a bunch of cables that need to be plugged in.

Any help would be appreciated.

More about : case

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
June 5, 2012 11:34:03 PM

You should consider a SSD to place Windows on it it will speed up your system a lot and they aren't that expansive anymore. 128GB should be enough.

If you want a high quality case, take a look at what Silverstone has to offer. LianLi, Corsair and NZXT are good choices, too. At around ~100$ and above, features are very comparable, so primarily choose a case you like.

Also Blu Ray (or optical drives in general) aren't part of a case, you have to buy a separate one.
June 5, 2012 11:50:27 PM

whatsthatnoise said:
You should consider a SSD to place Windows on it it will speed up your system a lot and they aren't that expansive anymore. 128GB should be enough.

If you want a high quality case, take a look at what Silverstone has to offer. LianLi, Corsair and NZXT are good choices, too. At around ~100$ and above, features are very comparable, so primarily choose a case you like.

Also Blu Ray (or optical drives in general) aren't part of a case, you have to buy a separate one.

Ah, forgot to mention, I already own a 128GB SSD.

A question though, how will I know or tell if my selected parts are compatible with the case? Forgive me if that isn't a concern, but I'm am completely unsure.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
June 6, 2012 12:08:58 AM

Well you have choose a motherboard with an extended ATX form factor (E-ATX), which means you need a case that supports this and not just ATX. The specs on manufacturer pages list the compatible form factors for each case, make sure it's supported.

The rest will just match. It's no rocket science. ;) 
June 13, 2012 7:03:50 PM

Best answer selected by CorsairAsusGTX.
!