Adding a graphics card to a dell studio slim 540s

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 20, 2011 1:32:38 PM

I have a regular dell studio slim 540s
processor : intel core 2 quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33 GHz
ram : 3.00 GB DDR2
32 bit
250 W power supply

i dont know much about computers but i know all i have right now is a g45/g43 express chipset

Are there any graphics card that will work with a 250w power supply?
I do not intend on replacing my current power supply; I just want a card i can stick in and use.
Thanks in advance.
December 20, 2011 1:36:54 PM

no
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 20, 2011 2:25:15 PM

The real question is "WHY?". What do you expect to be able to do? If you're looking to significantly improve gaming or other graphically intensive functions, then the answer would be not really. If you're just looking for something that will aid in HD Video viewing, then yes.

Look for PCI-Ex16 cards where the second digit of the model number is between "2" and "4". For instance the Geforce GT220 or the Radeon HD6450.

Also remember that your card needs to be "low-profile" or "Half Height".

-Wolf sends
Related resources
December 20, 2011 2:40:27 PM

so would a geforce gt 430 or a geforce 520 work?

i would just like something that would enhance video watching and improve fps for casual gaming.
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 20, 2011 2:41:05 PM

That may be the best low profile card, but I'm doubtful it will run on a 250 watt power supply.

-Wolf sends
December 20, 2011 2:51:24 PM

astrial said:
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1436/16/
it says here with the geforce gt 430 the system only consumed 176 watts?

so wouldnt a 250w be adequate enough?

All depends on the quality of the PSU (Power supply unit) to be honest, but I suppose Dell wouldn't give you a too shabby one?
December 20, 2011 3:00:56 PM

i cant seem to find a rather cheap geforce 220 on amazon, tigerdirect, or newegg :/  (that also includes the low profile brackets)

so i was thinking about buying a geforce 520, it seems that it consumes less power than the 220 according to
http://ht4u.net/reviews/2011/amd_radeon_hd_6570_hd_6670...

and comparing power consumption
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Inno3D/GeForce_GT_22...
vs
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GT_520...

so would a geforce gt 520 be best?

December 20, 2011 9:51:55 PM

any input before i buy this?
October 21, 2012 5:14:08 PM

Hi folks,

I know this is an old thread, but I want to share my recent experience for anyone out there still squeezing life out of an old Dell Studio Slim 540s.

I wanted to add a video card to my 540s because the intel chipset doesn't scale properly for my plasma TV.

I chose the 6450 based mostly on its low power consumption and decent power consumption vs. performance.

I installed it without upgrading my power supply, and the power supply failed. So I replaced the power supply with a 300W supply. I don't want to add too much power because the machine is in a cabinet and heat could become an issue.

Even with a 300W power supply the 6450 failed to work. The computer won't boot, with the card inserted. The machine boots fine once I remove the card.

I'll either have to swap out for a 400W supply or find an even lower power HDMI card -- probably a 6350. The stock system had an option for a 3450; I might hunt one of them down. Either should be fine for HTPC purposes.

-Phill
October 21, 2012 6:02:03 PM

phastphill said:
Hi folks,

I know this is an old thread, but I want to share my recent experience for anyone out there still squeezing life out of an old Dell Studio Slim 540s.

I wanted to add a video card to my 540s because the intel chipset doesn't scale properly for my plasma TV.

I chose the 6450 based mostly on its low power consumption and decent power consumption vs. performance.

I installed it without upgrading my power supply, and the power supply failed. So I replaced the power supply with a 300W supply. I don't want to add too much power because the machine is in a cabinet and heat could become an issue.

Even with a 300W power supply the 6450 failed to work. The computer won't boot, with the card inserted. The machine boots fine once I remove the card.

I'll either have to swap out for a 400W supply or find an even lower power HDMI card -- probably a 6350. The stock system had an option for a 3450; I might hunt one of them down. Either should be fine for HTPC purposes.

-Phill

well i bought a geforce gt 520 and it works just fine with the 250w default power supply in the studio slim 540s, ive had it for almost a year now since i bought it after i made this thread. Hope that helps
October 24, 2012 3:26:20 AM

astrial said:
well i bought a geforce gt 520 and it works just fine with the 250w default power supply in the studio slim 540s, ive had it for almost a year now since i bought it after i made this thread. Hope that helps

Wow, thanks for replying after all this time! That's really useful information; I just bought a 520 also and will install it tomorrow. Woot!
!