Upgrading AMD system. Your opinion and advice, please.

1s3ct0wN

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Hello Tom`s hardware community, thanks for reading my thread.

CPU: AMD 64 Athlon x2 4400+ 2.3MHz
Motherboard: ASUS 365 - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2/GSURF365/
RAM: 2Gb`s DDR2 800MHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8600GT

Upgrading this system. Your opinion and advice, please.
Best regards.

Thanks again.

QuietPC

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

You only have 2 rams slots so you would need to buy two 2gb DDR2 sticks and they are almost 2x the cost of DDR3 and have no future

You could upgrade the video card (what's your current psu?)

What are you willing to spend and what is it you have in mind?

1s3ct0wN

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

Thanks for your reply.
Well all I want from this PC is to run more smoothly Dota 2.
It used to be a great Machine for Warcraft III Dota, but now there`s new Dota from Valve.

I get around 30-40-50FPS at 1024x768, in massive 5vs5 battles fps drops down to 18-24
http://pic.mk/?v=1aQO3.jpg
http://pic.mk/?v=XYGwc.jpg

I use 64 bit Ubuntu that`s my main OS, I use Windows 7 32bit starter only for Dota 2, I don`t even open browser.

Generally that`s all on my mind now.
PSU:
Delux
Model: DLP 338A ATX-550W P4
This is 5 years old PC (700Euros back in that time) and now I don`t have budget to buy a new one.

Best Regards.

wrazor

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Get the amd 5570 GPU or 4670 for less then 60$ and be done with it. Your 2gb ram would have sufficed if you had win xp, so i recommend you get another stick of 2 gb ram. Thats teh max, that PC can be upgraded to. You wont be needing more than 100$ in total though & i definitely think it will run dota 2 maxed out. GL!!

1s3ct0wN

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

Hi thank you very much for reply, I can switch to Windows XP easily because I have one 32bit.But last time I couldn't get it work, because I lost my CD with drivers, I found drivers for my GPU, but I couldn't connect my PC with internet.

My other question is it worth buying new processor?

Thank you again, have a nice day.

Best regards

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

I have that same cpu in my pc i'm writing to you now from lol Your drivers you can download to a usb drive or burn to a data disc so you can use windows xp.

Our cpu we both have is far from the bottom of the barrel but i'm sure like me you notice that they are not as good as others. But think about it the cpu is 6 years old and still performing. My next upgrade i'm personally planning an intel i5 2500k build (i like amd much more but sadly we are lacking in decent gaming cpus in the amd category) Ram wise yeah the costs are unbelievable for ddr2. I have 3 gigs myself but the ddr3 ram is much cheaper and a good reason to upgrade.

A new build would be my suggestion. A new case, ram, cpu, mother board, psu, dvd burner, and then a new video card. If your system is as old as mine most new video cards will not do to well not only because of the psu but also because of the cpu. Your mother board is newer then mine mine is an old 939 socket lol So my suggestion for the future is to try to get the funds up to get a i5 2500k build. Then also get windows 7 64 version so you can use alot more and better ram. Windows xp lets you use a max of like 4 gigs while windows 7 i think it can use 138 gigs i think i read. Which is over kill 8 would be more then enough.

Getting a good video card would let you game for a bit more but you would do a lot better getting a new build going and finishing it. That way you can max things out really well. Even if you have to buy it piece by piece week by week or month by month you have your pc now to use to game on until you get it built. And maybe the new amd chips releasing this year will bring a lot better cpus to the mix for gaming. At least i'm hoping lol

wrazor

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
What zolton says is ofcourse true, your whole systme needs an overhaul, but then its DOTA2 you want to play smooth. Yeah, on that CPU, you will be fine. I definitely recommend you get some ddr-2 2gb ram stick and a 5570 GPU. DOTA-2 will run smooth, even on high settings(prob only on lower resolution than 1920X1200).I think its better to stay with win7 64-bit & 4 gb ram, if you can afford to buy another ram stick. Its upto you, spend 80-100$ now, play dota-2 smooth, or spend good 200-300$ and play other games too. :) GL!!