Which is the better CPU for gaming AMD or Intel?

eric_the_red38

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
I'm looking to build a gaming desktop in the next 1-3 months and I was wondering which CPU would be the best (not the most expensive to use.) Also I was wondering why the AMD's are cheaper than the Intel's. One source said that the reason is when you have a computer with a quad-core AMD, the CPU will only use the number of cores needed to operate the program and the Intel will use all 4 cores, but I'm not sure about that. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thx--Eric

JKatwyopc

Distinguished

cv

It never fails to amaze me how much misinformation there is "out there". The differences between AMD and Intel CPU's are are far more complicated than how many cores get used in a specific program. Actually, there are several AMD CPU's that have more cores than competing Intel designs but, as Raidur said, CPU core usage is mostly dependent on how the software schedules the use of each core. However, despite the fact that AMD CPU's sometimes have more cores to use, Intel CPU's tend to outperform AMD CPU's. The difference is in the overall design and optimizations done by the designers. Intel has had quite a bit more success in optimizing the designs of their CPU's, therefore, Intel CPU's are faster.