Sign in with
Your question

I2500k Very High Temp from Boot 93c?

Last response: in CPUs
June 6, 2012 1:22:09 AM

Tried two different boards - an ASUS P8P67 and a Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3. Immediately after booting and going into the BIOS, the CPU temp is being reported as 93C. This CPU has never been overclocked. Is this the sign of a bad CPU, or could something else be happening?

Thanks
a c 105 à CPUs
June 6, 2012 1:23:44 AM

double check your cooler is fitted tight
a c 283 à CPUs
June 6, 2012 1:25:24 AM

It sounds like you aren't getting the cooler seated well. I know that seems strange, doing it on two different occasions, but if you're using the stock cooler, it's a pain to get installed right. Also, if you didn't redo the thermal paste the second tome, you absolutely need to do that.
Related resources
June 6, 2012 1:28:15 AM

Yeah, the stock Intel cooler is a PITA to install. I didn't apply any additional thermal paste. Hopefully I have some around.. wonder if you can get any at Radio Shack? I'll double check. Even with the cooler not PERFECTLY installed, I would think that 93F is extremely high for 10 seconds?
a c 283 à CPUs
June 6, 2012 1:31:10 AM

Well, 93F is fine, lol. Which do you really mean 93F or 93C? I doubt the mobo would report F, but who knows.
June 6, 2012 1:32:31 AM

Sorry.. 93C!
a c 105 à CPUs
June 6, 2012 1:32:32 AM

if the cooler is not fitted tight, it will easily reach 93c on boot and beyond. you can overheat a CPU with a poorly installed cooler.

most radio shacks do sell thermal paste. i've seen a few carry artic silver
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2012 1:40:30 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Well, 93F is fine, lol. Which do you really mean 93F or 93C? I doubt the mobo would report F, but who knows.

93*C in the short run will not even hurt it. i would not recommend running it for weeks at that temp but if laptops can run in the 90's for years why cant desktops?
June 6, 2012 1:42:14 AM

Well.. the entire board shuts off after like 30 seconds. I'm assuming this is because of the CPU temp, since "CPU Overheat Protect" is enabled?
a c 105 à CPUs
June 6, 2012 1:43:21 AM

you don't know if the CPU will stop at 93c or keep climbing. he got that temp at boot.
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2012 1:45:23 AM

oh didnt see that part of it. i thought it was a boot into windows.
June 6, 2012 2:34:00 AM

Screw this stock heatsink. Anyone have any suggestions for a decently priced alternative? I don't plan on overclocking.
a c 105 à CPUs
June 6, 2012 2:44:48 AM

cooler master 212+ has been around $20 on newegg & microcenter.
a c 283 à CPUs
June 6, 2012 2:46:43 AM

The 212+ is $29.99 on Newegg currently, with no rebate available. Microcenter might have a better deal though.
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2012 3:33:38 AM

i love how everyone that recommended the 212+ have a 212+. i had one for about a month and the temps it give are horrible compared to what i have now. but if your not overclocking or overclocking very much then its an "ok" cooler.
a c 283 à CPUs
June 6, 2012 3:40:14 AM

cbrunnem said:
i love how everyone that recommended the 212+ have a 212+. i had one for about a month and the temps it give are horrible compared to what i have now. but if your not overclocking or overclocking very much then its an "ok" cooler.

Well, I honestly like the Evo better, if only because the thermal paste application is harder to screw up. It's a couple degrees cooler than the 212+ too, but not a huge difference.

I can't complain about my Evo. 59-63C in Prime 95 at 4.5 sounds great to me. Yes, I have it in a push/pull setup, but it doesn't make THAT much of a difference.
a c 141 à CPUs
June 6, 2012 3:41:29 AM

Don't take this the wrong way but I think you are doing something wrong, I think your problem is user error not hardware related. When you switched coolers did you apply thermal paste? When you switched from one board to the next did you clean the thermal paste off the old heatsink and CPU and re-apply? Are you using the stock heatsink, if so check to make sure the black male pins are pushed ALL THE WAY through the clear female adapter.
a c 283 à CPUs
June 6, 2012 3:43:53 AM

He didn't clean and reapply, so that's the first problem, but I agree that the cooler not being seated correctly was the main problem, in the first place. And yes, he's using the stock heatsink.
a c 141 à CPUs
June 6, 2012 3:49:53 AM

My guess is he didn't have the pins all the way through the female adapters. As for an aftermarket heatsink how much were you looking to spend. The two I like and usually use in builds is the Hyper 212+ (or EVO) and the push pull heatsinks by Noctua.
a c 105 à CPUs
June 6, 2012 11:09:54 AM

cbrunnem said:

you are comparing a $20 single fan cooler that weighs 626g to a $90 dual fan cooler that weighs 1240g. i would hope the noctua D14 performs better. the 212+ was recommended as a budget cooler since the OP wanted "decently priced alternative? I don't plan on overclocking". I would have no problem recommending the noctua if he wanted a high performance cooler for OC.
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2012 11:12:58 AM

ct1615 said:
you are comparing a $20 single fan cooler that weighs 626g to a $90 dual fan cooler that weighs 1240g. i would hope the noctua D14 performs better. the 212+ was recommended as a budget cooler since the OP wanted "decently priced alternative? I don't plan on overclocking". I would have no problem recommending the noctua if he wanted a high performance cooler for OC.

i never recommended it. i just stated its performance relative to another cooler.
June 6, 2012 12:28:42 PM

if in fact the heatsink is being pressed down properly and locked in, temps should be fine even if the thermal paste was not cleaned and re-applied. the temps would be higher, yes, but not that high.

sometimes a warped (faulty) motherboard is the issue, or mis-set mounting bracket for the heatsink wich does not allow the heatsink to sit all the way down.

usually getting an aftermarket heatsink will allow you to get it to sit better, and as most have mentioned already a hyper 212+ or evo will be a inexpensive investment for a basic aftermarket cooler for what you need it for.

I would say if after a new cooler installed on the board does not work you have a faulty CPU or faulty motherboard. also make sure that all the pins on the motherboard cpu socket are not damaged or bent as an added measure.
June 6, 2012 1:05:34 PM

It appears that the pins/clear connectors on my stock Intel heatsink are a bit worn, and weren't locking properly. I ordered a 212 EVO and a fresh tube of Artic Silver. Hopefully this will fix my problem. Thanks for the input.
June 6, 2012 1:14:38 PM

if you ever get into heavy overclocking or just looking for better temps, look in to finding a tube of IC Diamond, i found it compared to AS5 dropped temps a decent amount as well.

I had put together a 1090T system with the hyper 212+ and ICDiamond with cool and quiet turned on so it would downclock the CPU when not in use, coretemp would read 11C on all cores and in prime95 would peak at range from 39C ~ 45C per core.
a c 141 à CPUs
June 6, 2012 9:27:35 PM

IC Diamond is good but it scratches the IHS very badly.

The picture below is a P4 2.66mhz socket 478 before.

Using IC Diamond Compound and a Q-Tip for a 2 minute circular rubdown.

You can see in only two minutes the IHS is pretty worn you can't even see the Intel markings anymore which would void your warranty

a b à CPUs
June 6, 2012 9:50:56 PM

sscultima said:
if you ever get into heavy overclocking or just looking for better temps, look in to finding a tube of IC Diamond, i found it compared to AS5 dropped temps a decent amount as well.

I had put together a 1090T system with the hyper 212+ and ICDiamond with cool and quiet turned on so it would downclock the CPU when not in use, coretemp would read 11C on all cores and in prime95 would peak at range from 39C ~ 45C per core.

other then extreme metal like thermal compounds most compounds are within a degree of each other and actually AS5 per toms review was in the group with higher temps.
June 10, 2012 3:05:00 PM

rds1220 said:
IC Diamond is good but it scratches the IHS very badly.

The picture below is a P4 2.66mhz socket 478 before.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p250/4ryan6/P4PGA4782.png

Using IC Diamond Compound and a Q-Tip for a 2 minute circular rubdown.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p250/4ryan6/FastestLappingCompoundAward.png

You can see in only two minutes the IHS is pretty worn you can't even see the Intel markings anymore which would void your warranty

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p250/4ryan6/FastestLappingCompoundAward.png

i never have had that issue with mine, i have reapplied it twice now since i have had used ICDiamond on my 955, which i have had for well into 2 years now. i can read all the markings and whatnot on my CPU, no noticable scratches..
a c 105 à CPUs
June 10, 2012 3:10:14 PM

i have used IC diamond before (still have two tubes). its good stuff but any solid brand thermal paste will do the job and yes IC diamond will scratch the surface of a CPU (seen it with my own eyes)
!