MSI R9650 beeps, red LED on card lights up + no display

masterbucks

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
On installing MSI R6950 and an XFX pro series 550w PSU at first it worked all fine, loaded up, then, restarted and the card or motherboard beeped plenty of times, a red LED came on the card and I had no display (although, PC was making typical noises as though it was booting up)

Anyone had similar issue?
is this a known issue?

im having trouble finding a solution.
I did take the card back out, re-install it and it worked for a bit. then again, had similar issue soon after.

:??: confused!

motherboard is an MS 7366
I have an M-audio firewire 410 outboard DSP sound box, plugged in via a firewire card (not the one that came already in PC by the usb's) ... I have tried plugging it into both.

other spec
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz, 2499 Mhz, 4 Core(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

:)

woshitudou

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Try unplugging some extra drives (dvd, cd), any extra non essential fans or usb devices (don't unplug the cpu fan!). That'll free up some juice to help see if it's power related.

Your psu has one 12v rail so you don't have to worry about probs with the 12v rails not being balanced well.

If it isn't caused by undersupply then ensure the power connectors for your 6950 are plugged in snug (you need two for your 6950 I believe).

When you turn your system on, look at the vid card fan to see if it is spinning. Try spinning it with your finger yourself when the computers off to see if it's obstructed). Also look at the back of your case and see if the card's venting slot is clear - sometimes people forget to remove the back plate for the slot and it overheats the card.