HD 6790 and HD 6870

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalloid

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Hi, I currently have a problem with my graphic card (XFX HD 6970 1GB GDDR5) and I think it started with playing SC2.
I started to notice few pixels going wrong on the screen when playing SC2, and now it's all messed up there with SC2, and it seems
like anything I need high specs would have disply problem with the pixels. Like a broken mirror. This problem does not happen when it's doing simple functions like word, or play video, or nothing with 3D specs I guess. Tried Driver update, did not fix it.

So, I think I will be trying to get warranty on it since I got it on August. But all that aside, I have no video with my motherboard, and I will be in great trouble while it's away for service, if I can get it at all. So my quesiton is should I go for HD 6870, so that I could use my computer and sort of upgrade my video for the time being? and then if the warranty attempt fails, just stick to it, but if it does work, crossfire with HD 6790? Would that be even feasible?

Can you tell me if it works, how it can be done, and if they need anything extra to make it work? Seems like I heard something about need for external bridge. How much would that cost?

Thanky you so much, and I really need help! QQ

monsta

Splendid
You could get another 6790 to see you thru while your card is being RMA, and when you get it back you can crossfire them only if your motherboard and psu allows it.
You will need a crossfire bridge, they are cheap , you can get one off ebay.
Tell us your system specs so we can help you better.

metalloid

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
So my system is:
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
CPU: AMD X4 965 BE
VGA: XFX Radeon HD 6790
RAM: G.SKill Ripjaw series 8 GB
PSU: Raidmax RX 850AE 850W
Optical: ASUS DVD-RW
Case: Rosewill Blackhawk with currently 9 fans
HDD: WD black caviar 7200 RPM 1 TB 64MB cache