Sign in with
Your question

PSU for ASRock 990FX Extreme3 Mother Board or Advice

Last response: in Components
June 6, 2012 3:50:10 AM

So I am making my first PC and I think I've picked out a good mobo but I don't really know too much about PSUs. So first off I have picked out a ASRock 990FX Extreme3 AM3+ and just looking around aimlessly I found this APEVIA ATX-CB700W 700W for half price ($40)! Now I know you may be saying, "This kid is being super lazy!", which you are right to thinking so. But, I really don't want to mess up my first build. I'm trying to get a rough idea of what to look for so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
a b ) Power supply
a c 128 V Motherboard
June 6, 2012 4:31:56 AM

You really don't want that PSU, it's junk. Stick with the known good brands, Seasonic, corsair, Antec. XFX. Be prepared to pay 60 for a 500 watter.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
June 6, 2012 6:43:36 AM

kbrink said:
So I am making my first PC and I think I've picked out a good mobo but I don't really know too much about PSUs. So first off I have picked out a ASRock 990FX Extreme3 AM3+ and just looking around aimlessly I found this APEVIA ATX-CB700W 700W for half price ($40)! Now I know you may be saying, "This kid is being super lazy!", which you are right to thinking so. But, I really don't want to mess up my first build. I'm trying to get a rough idea of what to look for so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

The motherboard itself consume little power. The determining factor in your choice of Power supply is the processor & graphics card/s & whether you want to stick to just 1 graphics cards or do SLI or Crossfire.
m
l
Related resources
a c 715 ) Power supply
a c 1163 V Motherboard
June 6, 2012 4:50:17 PM

The cheapest around 700 watt PSU you want to buy but no need unless you are planning CF or SLI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Deal is ending soon! Apeiva (used to be Aspire but got famous) has burnt many other pieces of hardware in the past so leave them alone.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
June 6, 2012 5:58:55 PM

As has been previously stated, stay away from that Apevia....they simply don't put out good quality PSUs. You should have a good idea of what the rest of your systme components are going to be before you pick out the PSU. You won't know what PSU capacity you need until you have a solid idea of what GPU you're going to use and whether or not you're going to SLI/Crossfire.
m
l
!