Sign in with
Your question

Dual Socket 2011 & Overclocking

Last response: in CPUs
June 6, 2012 5:09:36 AM

Im looking to spend a lot of money to get a dual socket 2011 Motherboard and some high end CPUs.
According to the specs of EVGA's SR-X Motherboard...I need "Dual Socket 2011 Intel Xeon E5 Processors"

Here is a link to the motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

With my understanding, only "K" and "X" variant core i processors can be overclocked easily. Would I be able to buy 2 8-core xeon processors and overclock them assuming that I have proper cooling?
a c 184 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 6, 2012 6:18:07 AM

The current xeons have locked multipliers, which makes overclocking VERY difficult and not worth it at all!

Not like you will need to overclock in the first place.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 6, 2012 6:30:26 AM

Wow! I like it. Maybe I should sell my whole rig to buy the processor. :) 
Related resources
a c 184 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 6, 2012 6:37:17 AM

What I would give for e5-2600's.....
June 6, 2012 5:38:39 PM

But with 16 cores would I even need to overclock. I guess that is enough raw processor power but overclocking would be nice.
June 6, 2012 5:59:48 PM

This would serve no purpose as a gaming computer. It would be an obscene waste of money.

What is the purpose of this machine? What are you going to use it for?
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 6, 2012 6:13:57 PM

Exactly what do you think you need $3000 worth of CPU power for?
a c 184 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 6, 2012 10:14:19 PM

100k ppd for folding?
June 6, 2012 11:18:45 PM

Are there any dual socket motherboards that support non-xeon processors? Im not gonna drop 3 grand on processors just 2 of the cheapest 8 core chips and the EVGA board.
a c 184 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 6, 2012 11:57:23 PM

Nope.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2012 12:48:21 AM

If you're looking to run Sandy Bridge-E chips in a dual socket board, you can't. Those CPUs do not support multi CPU configurations. The motherboard doesn't even factor into it, the feature is simply not supported outside the Xeon processors.

If you're looking to use LGA 2011 dual socket boards, that's the Xeon E5. The cheapest 8 core Xeon E5 is around $1100 dollars. Add the motherboard and you're at around $2700 without any other hardware.

To be blunt, it sounds to me like you've got more money than sense and just want the computer for bragging rights.
a c 184 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2012 1:07:09 AM

You should contribute the rig for science! FOLD!!!!
November 26, 2012 3:52:22 PM

po1nted said:
This would serve no purpose as a gaming computer. It would be an obscene waste of money.

What is the purpose of this machine? What are you going to use it for?

Believe it or not, some people (and practically all enterprises/industries) use computing for things *other* than gaming! :) 

The high core count is good especially if you are running a number of virtual machines, as I do. I work in HPC, and like to make my own "virtual supercomputer" with serveral VMs. Also, for running several services at once, it's good to have the cores/threads. And for doing actual math/science computing, many apps take advantage of the multiple cores/threads (or one can just run many copies of the app at the same time).

True, this isn't a typical home use, but especially the VMs put a big demand on compute cores (and RAM). I also like to play with CPU/socket/core afinity (ability to keep a process pinned to one specific core, and not jump around), so I'd like to have more than one socket. But unfortunately, doesn't look like that's gonna happen if it's coming out of my pocketbook (and no, the extremely large computer/software company I work for is too cheap to provide me with my own rig -- I work from home -- and so far I have been using my *laptop* to do this stuff!)
!